Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:20 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I'm kind of in a bind right now. Playing PS2 games online through ICS won't work unless my entire firewall is shut down because of ports and IP ranges being blocked, and it's something I don't like dealing with. (I've also quickly learned that I can't connect through dial-up solely on my PS2 anymore, either. It's an ISP issue.) Has anyone used Windows Firewall to open/close specific ports before? Does it work?

Actually, for those that use ZoneAlarm Firewall, how would you go about the process of opening specific ports to let my PS2 through? No matter what I do, ZoneAlarm blocks the IP ranges even if it's in my Trusted Zone.

Sorry for sounding so seemingly new to this; I don't have a router so I've never had to deal with ports or IP addresses before. I thought Windows was supposed to auto-configure ICS to make it work without firewall issues in the first place.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help.

Posted Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:16 pm:

Okay, somehow it got worse. Now, with all firewalls shut down, I can't connect to anyone. The server works fine, but I can't join or host games. This is with the firewall OFF and SP2 Windows Firewall OFF, meaning a purely naked ICS PC -> PS2 hook-up with all ports open, blah, blah, blah.

What am I doing wrong?! I mean, my ICS setup was working fine last year, then I had to get a new ISP...then reset ICS...then get a new firewall...then SP2 screwed it up a bit. Now that I had stopped playing online for two months, apparently something else in my connection changed so that when I did come back, it doesn't work. In any way. I've basically given up, now realizing that not even a broadband connection will save me if my computer is still gonna block something between it and the PS2. Sad