Topic: PS2 repair advice

Page 1 of 1
geeksunny
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:03 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
a while ago i bought this PS2 from a friend. it was $10 dollars cause the DVD drive didnt read. I opened it up and it turns out that the guy that had it before him had also opened it up. on one of the two ribbons connecting the motherboard to the DVDdrive, the motherboard port's brown clip (to keep the cable in) is gone, so the cable wont stay in and make connection.

the only thing ive tried is to use some electrical tape to keep it in the port. I only tried it once and it was a long time ago, and didnt work. I was gonna open it up and try that one more time, and I thought that I would post here to see if anyone has any other idea's to keep the cable in.

If anybody doesnt understand, I can try to clarify it a little better. I also have a digital camera and a webserver so i can post (links to) pictures if requested.

Thanks for your time Very Happy
Posted:
Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:13 pm
quote : #2
The DREs are usually an easy but temprorary fix. The cable shouldn't be a huge problem and your electrical tape fix should work I think. Pictures would help.

[UKR]vintendo
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:40 pm
quote : #3
My PS2 dosen't play PS1 or purple disks. Only DVD format games. :'(
Posted:
Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:29 pm
quote : #4
OK, i opened it back up and busted out the camera. The resolution is 640x480. Sorry about the flash, I forgot to try some with the flash off.

This is a picture of the tape job I had done ... I think it was back in December.
http://www.untoldlegacy.com/sunny/storage/P1010020.JPG

This is the port with no clip.
http://www.untoldlegacy.com/sunny/storage/P1010021.JPG

I did not take a picture of the new tape job, but it was secured in there good with a 1 inch piece of tape going the same way as the ribbon.

I tested it out....the first three times it booted up, and the swirling lights in the background of the menu were going really fast, the next two boots it went the normal speed. I then redid the cables on both ends, reseating them in the ports on the DVD drive and the motherboard. two more boots after this gave the same results - the lights going the normal speed and the disc tray staying shut. all times it booted up, the disc tray didnt open. I tried booting it up with both the power button and the eject button.

Any ideas? sorry if my words lead you in circles.
Posted:
Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:56 am
quote : #5
I would check if anything is obstructing the tray from ejecting. I honestly don't think the cable is the problem because it sounds like you've plugged it in fine. Have you tried cleaning the lens and adjusting the white dial? That's the general fix for DREs on old PS2s. I've had to do it twice on one of mine.