Page Location: Home > Archive > Phantasy Star Universe (Archive) > Topic
DaMan
rank 19
Posted:
Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:04 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
After rereading about the the post about sony's station pass (sp?) http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1234
I had been thinking woud'nt it be nice for Sega to have a way to pay all the Hunters Licenses even if their on different consoles?
correct me if i'm wrong ,but don't GC owners get to pay 1 bill to cover all the games? PSO I & II (not sure about Ep I&II and Plus ) and Episode III .

Granted PS Universe is tentativley suppossed to cost $13.00 dollars a month
PSO Blue Burst (PC) $13.00 (this price comes from the May '05 EGM in the PSU article )
GC $8.95 not sure if the fee is higher for the combined games
Xbox $8.95
DC PAL FREE (I had to mention it )
My point is its getting pricey to play more than 1 systems version and a some kind of discount although unlikely would be sweet.
I might just wait awhile before investing in PSOU to make sure another version does'nt come out , or I could say what the heck, and just play the offline mode Rolling Eyes oh well we'll see what happens.
Funny thing is did pay $15 for 3 months on ver 2 and now i'm looking nearly paying that for 1 month.
EDIT: PSO BB is now $8.99 a month

Last edited by DaMan on Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:37 am; edited 2 times in total
TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:12 pm
quote : #2
Episode I, II & III for the GC can all be played online using the same Hunter's License.

I'd be willing to pay $12.99 a month to play PSU as long as Sonic Team would create new quests and enforce even stricter anti-hacking measures than in the previous iterations.

-Mytho
Posted:
Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:37 pm
quote : #3
TheMytho wrote:
Episode I, II & III for the GC can all be played online using the same Hunter's License.

I'd be willing to pay $12.99 a month to play PSU as long as Sonic Team would create new quests and enforce even stricter anti-hacking measures than in the previous iterations.

-Mytho

Meh, $13 is nice... Better than WoW's $15 something. But seriously, nothing can beat PSOGC/XB's price of $8.95! That's awesome!

Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:54 pm
quote : #4
yeah it sux mmo's are raising in price per month
Posted:
Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:24 pm
quote : #5
I think they shouldn't charge anything, its bad enough when you have to pay an ISP to get online.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:43 pm
quote : #6
Then they won't be able to add quests, server updates, patches, security, anti-cheat methods etc etc. They have game masters now that patrol their online games and are trying to crack down on security. They have to pay those people.

You can't have an active and updated online rpg without some sort of monthly fee, it's so much work.
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:04 am
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
Then they won't be able to add quests, server updates, patches, security, anti-cheat methods etc etc. They have game masters now that patrol their online games and are trying to crack down on security. They have to pay those people.

You can't have an active and updated online rpg without some sort of monthly fee, it's so much work.

Where's the advertising? It works for broadcast TV and countless other forms of media. I say let some companies pay for my online experience, so that they can get money from me on products I need. This is a win-win-win situation. The monthly fee is dropped so I don't have to pay, the game company still gets money from ads, and the advertiser gets my money which is now available because I don't have to pay a fee. It's ridiculous that it's not more widespread and that we're still paying fees. (Of course there would be an ad-free version for those who care.) Honestly though, if I have two options: lots of features, updates, and ads OR sucky features, an unsupported game and no ads, which do you think I'm going to choose?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:55 am
quote : #8
I won't play games with advertisements in them. I don't like spreading my asshole while walking down the street waiting for someone to rape me. It detracts from the gameplay experience. When they start working on ways to put ads into games, the advertisement companies start having input on how the game is designed. They start to effect where ads go, how long users ar forced to look at them. Maybe you enter a room, and there is an ad on a monitor on the wall in a Phantasy Star Game. So instead of opening the door so you can progress to the next area, they make you wait a few seconds longer or increase the time it takes to get to the next area so you have to look at that advert.

It no longer makes the game authentic. The experience is completly ruined. Who wants to see a pepsi advert inside PSO? It wouldn't even belong in there AT ALL. It would look completly out of place. What if your playing "Prince of Persia: The Sand Within", and then 2 times in every level you see Sam Fisher run by saying "Tip of the day, bring in your UPC symbol for 5.00 off on your next Splinter Cell game." If you go through the first 2 levels, and see Sam Fisher do this 4 damn times, you would DEFINATLY feel jaded about what you just purchased. It pulls you out of the experience. How can you dive into a role like that with stuff distracting you? If you saw an advert for the GAP in God of War, how are you supposed to think your still in this world killing hydras and being a badass, when some fucking GAP ad rips you back into reality.

For instance in the Matrix Online, the MMPORPG for the PC, there are ads for the movie Constantine inside the game. What the hell? It's totally out of place. Also having that cellphone company logo in NFSU2, is atrocious. It's there the entire time you're playing.

I enjoy experiencing art as it was meant to be. I don't want a bunch of salesmen in my face trying to cram their products down my throat.

I can see how advertisements can be TASTEFULLY put into games without destroying the game. Having Taco Bell or McDonalds in GTA really doesn't seem all that wierd. Or how about the Dole logo in Super Monkey Ball for GameCube. People were actually angry that was removed from the Deluxe version! Ads like that can actually add to the gameplay experience.

Those are small contracts though. In order for the companies to get large contracts for bags of cash, the companies buying ad space will get lots of say on where there advertisements are placed and how users interact with those ads.

Sonic Team charges for PSO and delivers awsome features, constant updates, and is greatly supported. Easter Events just went up 2 days ago, and they are leaving them up until the 26th too. Tons of time to get in on some Egg Rappy Hunting. The charge for PSO is only 8.95 a month, and they do more updates, and in a more timely manner than most other online rpg's that cost 1.5 as much money. Sonic Team makes it worth your while, they released an updated version of ep1&2 and even released EP3. Talk about updates!! They released a whole new game and let you play it online with your same Hunter's Liscense. They ran 3-4 huge card tournaments for that game too.

Sonic Team will make PSU well worth the money. They are promissing new Quests and Events every week. Think about that for a minute. That's a shitload of new media every single week. You might doubt that this will even be possible, however I assure you it is. Since I have been subscribed to PSO on gamecube we have had new updates every 2 weeks, along with new quests since I have been subscribed in 2003. There hasn't been a month that's gone by that there wasn't something new to do.

The problem here in the end is this. There are a lot of gamers that do NOT care one shit about any new content. They don't care at all. They just want to go online, and play the game has is with no changes or updates. They just do not have the money / income to support this. So to them just actually getting to play the game online takes great importance than any new media or enhancments to the experience. Therefore people like this will constantly rip into companies saying "the monthy fee is rediculious, these games should be free to play online."

In order for them to add a new quest, how much time do you think that takes? They have to get a team together, have a meeting come up with an idea, a storyline, do the extra content and programming, set milestones, get the thing updated on the server and make sure it all runs smoothly. This takes the efforts of a team of people, and can take a week or two to even create this. Sometimes multiple teams working on different quests in order to get them online each 1-2 weeks.

It's one thing to say "I can't afford to play these games online." And it's a whole nother to downplay the time and effort that goes into maintaining these games.

Monthly fees for MMO games are completly justified.

As far as combining Hunter's Liscenses. It would be very cool of Sonic Team to drop the price for GC/Xbox PSO to 6.95 a month when PSU comes out. I believe they will do something like this. Or make it where, if you subscribe to PSU, you get a discount on playing GC or Xbox pso.
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:51 pm
quote : #9
I completely agree that MMO fees are justified as are the fees for PSO. I can't see how they could get along without them.

Advertisements in games are things that I would only be really willing to see in online games with the exception of stuff like you mentioned. I want the support without paying the fee. The system could be as easy as advertisments in lobbies and server selection. With those ads, perhaps we could have a free XBL-style infastructure. There would obviously be a premium option for people such as yourself who can't stand the ads. You would log on and see clean screens. Those of us not willing to fork out the cash would simply log on and see ads above the server selection. I don't see how you could possibly deny the benefits of this. You would still pay your fee and have a clean experience, but would also gain new opponents that you might not otherwise have. Many of us are too casual to pay.

As far as offline advertisements, these are pretty much complete trash. Of course, the movie theater ads in Splinter Cell, the KFC in crazy taxi, et cetera are rather harmless. When it's starts getting crazy though, I sure as hell better be recieving the game for free. I don't see why the distribution methods can't simply be as follows: I turn on my console, proceed into a menu with options including "Download Games" and "Browse My Games", if I choose the former then I get a nice layout and menu structure helping me find the full fledged game of my choice to download for free or through payment (ads can be in these menus), if i choose the latter then I get to see what I already have (if I payed then it's clean and if I didn't then I get some minorly intrusive ads). Again, this accomodates both sides of the issue. It also eliminates the trip to Best Buy. Sure, computer games can kind of do this already, but I'm a console gamer.

Link00seven
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:19 pm
quote : #10
I agree with everything Lordnikon said. I don't like paying fee's more then anybody else, but it's better then having ad's in our games...lol. I'm a bit bummed that PSO:BB is going to be $13/mo though...

Ah well, that's the next version of PSO i'm buying, so i'll prepare for it, lol.
World: Odin
Alligence: Windurst
McRing_Ring
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:09 pm
quote : #11
Yeah. Besides. For most people, a fee around $10 is just not gonna kill them. I always have thought $8.95 is actually killing ST, but then again. I don't know the cost to keep a server like that up.

I can easilly see GC and Xbox's prices dropping when PSU comes out, probablly not PSO:BB since they will be adding episode4 stuff to it.

PS2 only reads Tribes right now...
DarkLink
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:17 pm
quote : #12
I am willing to pay the 13 bucks a month as long as I get what I'm promised by the company i.e. If my character and items are going to be safe while I play online and give me new content every week then I wouldn't even feel those thirteen bucks. And ads in games, it's a definite NO..But I have to say I really don't mind the Cingular logo on NFSU2 I actually enjoyed it because me and my cousin would make fun of it everytime I would lose the signal because he has Cingular and never has signal..*Raising the Bar* hehehehe....sorry had to get that off my head.. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ESPN NFL 2K5
007 Everything or Nothing
SOCOM II
Need For Speed Underground 1 and 2
Medal of Honor: Rising Sun
JimSensei
rank 12
Posted:
Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:09 am
quote : #13
Personally, I don't think people should be charged to play PSO. Just compared to alot of MMORPGs, it lacks depth. Thats why I play the DC version on the private server. Or did.

I mean, Diablo I/II has the same style of play, anti-cheat measures, and updates, and you aren't being charged to play it.

I can understand the whole anti-cheat thing, but it's just the core game-play that matters to me. I like PSO, but I don't find alot of depth in it to pay monthly for it.

But PSU looks like it is changing things up a bit. Seems alittle more diverse.