Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon May 09, 2005 10:31 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I am curious if anyone has any tips on very large memory cards for the PS2. Also I would prefer one without one of those boot discs needed to boot them.

I am looking for one that is durable, won't corrupt, and can store 2-4 times as much as the normal PS2 memory card.

Any god recommendations?
rank 39
Posted:
Tue May 10, 2005 5:09 am
quote : #2
all the ones i know need a boot disk that are over 8 MB.. Did you check out those memory card extenders? You put your memory card in them and stick them in the slot and it turns a 8 MB card into either a 16 or 32MB.
Posted:
Tue May 10, 2005 10:46 am
quote : #3
Ehhh those things compress the data though. They have a bad track record for corrupting.
rank 21
Posted:
Tue May 10, 2005 3:42 pm
quote : #4
I wouldn't trust any third party cards. I got a third party PS1 card and it was bad out of the packaging. Formatted it, played a game, saved, rebooted, found it was unformatted. It seems that there aren't too many PS2 memory cards that are larger than the normal 8MB. Now Gamecube, on the otherhand, the 3rd parties seem to go crazy with expanding the size. Maybe SONY has some say in this?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue May 10, 2005 7:32 pm
quote : #5
Hmm dang, looks like I am going to have to track down some more official memory cards. Trying to think of a good space solution for TS2/TS3 maps and Auto Modellista replays.
rank 39
Posted:
Tue May 10, 2005 8:04 pm
quote : #6
didnt sony used to make 16 and 32 MB cards when the ps2 first came out or were they all third party
Posted:
Tue May 10, 2005 11:08 pm
quote : #7
I use Nyko Magic Gate memory cards. Sony officially backs this card also.
Posted:
Tue May 10, 2005 11:49 pm
quote : #8
Does the Nyko card require any sort of boot disc? I know some third party cards require the use of a lame boot disc.

I trust Nyko's memory cards. Atleast as long a they arn't their super ultra large ones. I use the Nyko 8mb ones for the gamecube. Put in bagillions of hours on one with PSO and never had a corruption, so I have a strange wierd superstition with this specific model Nyko gamecube card.

I think i am gonna try out the PS2 one from Nyko. BluntWrapTexas, is this the kind you have?
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/208953.asp

EDIT: Actually, scrap that I just checked amazon, and the 2 pack, red/blue official PS2 memory card bundles are going for about 30 bucks. Can't beat that deal!!!! Plenty of sellers too so anyone wants in on this check out amazon.com for "2 Pack PS2 Memory Cards: Red & Blue"
rank 9
Posted:
Wed May 11, 2005 9:24 pm
quote : #9
Yah Nikon thats the exact card I have. Very Happy Never had a corruption either, the yellow neon color also looks good on ur Playstation 2. Trust Nyko!
Posted:
Thu May 12, 2005 5:06 am
quote : #10
yeah sony told nyko how to officially make the memory cards for the ps2.. They didnt have to guess this time.
Posted:
Fri May 13, 2005 11:52 am
quote : #11
I only have the Nyko 8 MB card, and I've never encountered a problem with it.

Nikon, if you or anyone finds a larger PS2 memory card that doesn't compress data or require a boot disc, please let everyone know about it.

Thanks!

gRiMgRaVy014
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:16 pm
quote : #12
I have a 16mb memory card that holds saves ,doesn't corrupt saves.BUT it seems that this memory card just doesn't like all games like for instance my skater on THUG won't save on my 16mb card so I have to save it on my almost full 8mb nyko memory card.It is a max memory memory card btw