Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue May 10, 2005 7:38 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Ok I was just thinking to myself. Some of the PS2's best online games don't reach DNAS. So... getting the unofficial HDD loading software and popping in a HardDrive would be a pretty sweet way to rock out your PS2. For the following reasons:

Faster Loading, these games would load a lot faster off the HD.
Convenience - don't have to take the discs out etc etc.
DRE bypass - Games like Tribes and Twisted Metal both are on blue bottom discs. Some people run into problems with these games when it comes to DRE errors. Running these off the HD would solve this.

Atleast I think it would.

Any thoughts on this? I need to still acquire software like HDLoader to really try this out.

Also it probobly would mean I would need to start tracking down which games do not require DNAS. And then they poses another question: Which was the first game to reach dnas?
rank 39
Posted:
Tue May 10, 2005 8:01 pm
quote : #2
i have Tribes on my hdd and it runs a lot smoother even online.. The loading times are also a huge amount less painful on all games
Posted:
Tue May 10, 2005 10:05 pm
quote : #3
Ok so, this is the official HDD? or unnofficial?

Can you run an hdloader type app on the FFXI HDD? Or is a regular raw normal PC IDE HD required?

I really need to get a HD of some sort in my PS2. Would be sweet to reap the benifits of using one.
rank 39
Posted:
Wed May 11, 2005 7:02 am
quote : #4
i have the official 40 GB sony HDD... It works fine with the HD loader. You also can put games on there that have nasty loading times and when you play them the loading i normally really short. I think you can rund the HD loader app on any hard drive that will be compatible with your PS2
Posted:
Wed May 11, 2005 1:01 pm
quote : #5
If I can get a sweet deal on the official HD I'm going to look into it. Is it possible to install hdloader on the official HD, and still have it be compatible with such games as socom, resident evil, and storing memory card backups? I guess what I am asking is, by using hdloader on an official HardDrive does it eliminate the possibility of using the HDD's official features?
rank 24
Posted:
Wed May 11, 2005 4:53 pm
quote : #6
lordnikon wrote:
If I can get a sweet deal on the official HD I'm going to look into it. Is it possible to install hdloader on the official HD, and still have it be compatible with such games as socom, resident evil, and storing memory card backups? I guess what I am asking is, by using hdloader on an official HardDrive does it eliminate the possibility of using the HDD's official features?

What I happen to know (from reading other's testimonials) is that since the HDLoader formats your HDD a certain way, it's not usable for the official features (SOCOM II, Resident Evil Outbreak, etc.). Mir_wan, you'd know more about this than me since you're all set-up, so I'm sure you can answer it a lot better than I just did.

BTW, for a start on those non-DNAS games: http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=886
Posted:
Wed May 11, 2005 7:16 pm
quote : #7
i havent tried a hdd compatible game that i installed on the HDD. I did put socom on there to see if i could pass DNAS. It wouldnt go through...

I still can use the SOCOM 2 hdd features of having the new maps on there even though i have used the HDD loader before

What do you wanan know exactly i could try it out to see if it works..

Also i know EB has used HDD for 49.99 and below sometimes
Posted:
Fri May 13, 2005 9:30 pm
quote : #8
Is it true that the new slim PS2 doesn't allow you to use a hard drive?

kodabb51
rank 9
Posted:
Fri May 13, 2005 9:52 pm
quote : #9
it was true before but the makers of hdadvance came up with this new software called usbXtreme which basically allows u to use a usb harddrive with ur ps2 Very Happy however, i think the load times will be the same as running from the actual game disc because aren't the usb ports on the ps2 usb1.1?? click http://www.hdadvance.com/usb_extreme_whatis.htm for more info.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat May 14, 2005 4:14 pm
quote : #10
kodabb51 wrote:
it was true before but the makers of hdadvance came up with this new software called usbXtreme which basically allows u to use a usb harddrive with ur ps2 Very Happy however, i think the load times will be the same as running from the actual game disc because aren't the usb ports on the ps2 usb1.1?? click http://www.hdadvance.com/usb_extreme_whatis.htm for more info.

That is awsome O_o