1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed May 25, 2005 6:00 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I'll be making some more technical related posts seperatly. Right now I will just give my impressions. Personally I really like this game. Its gameplay is something I think lends itself better to consoles. In many ways I look at this game has "A very large project snowblind" plus aerial vehicles. Snowblinds gameplay is similar to this but in a more confined atmosphere, and very fps oriented.

Me and my brother both got the game, and have been playing all day yesterday. So far we have had no problems and played regularly all evening with headsets just chatting and racking up kills.

I spent a full 49.99 on the game. I felt the game wasn't going to drop in price for a long time because of the new movie release. I am tired of waiting. I was going to see if I could hold out to get it for about 30 bucks, but just decided, you only live for so long. So just said "screw it" and got the game finally. I would rather have some fun times playing online with it this summer than wait months and months and months. Also when I did the math in my head the fact that this game has LAN and Dedicated Server software available, makes it worth what I paid for.

The controls make it a little hard to really home in on targets, especially from far away. I kind of have to mess with the sticks a bit to really get that perfect shot. The game's light bloom is pretty extreme...I don't like it. However, truthfully it doesn't give me a headache like it does in killzone. Probobly because while this game does have a lot of light bloom, its frame rate is awsome.

Splitscreen for this game rocks. I love how when you switch to the first person perspective view in splitscreen, it has the ghost recon style view, without the gun. Me and my bro played splitscreen for a while, and then played online the rest of the evening after he had gotten back home.

The interesting thing about this game is its deceptive player counts. I'm still working on nailing down exactly how many humans and bots can be played online and in lan from dedicated servers. I see online some 20 player games even. Not sure if these are hacked ded servers or what. One thing that shocks me is how many dedicated servers Lucas Arts has made available. They put up like over 200 dedicated servers. Pretty unbelievable.

All in all, this is a great game, and I consider it one of the better ps2 online experiences available. I could play this game offline solo, splitscreen, lan, or online and still have the same amount of fun. It is remarkable how consistant the experience is between each mode. To be honest I like the fact that this game has bots so far integrated into its gameplay. You don't have to RELY on humans alone to sit online and play. You can just be online on a server gaming, and if humans are there, great! If not, you can still keep on playing waiting for some to join, all the while still having just as much fun.

I would also like to say, that features such as online bot support, map rotation, and dedicated server software are keeping the online environment alive and kicking. It just goes to show you how important these things are to creating a solid gameplay environment.

Last edited by lordnikon on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
rank 39
Posted:
Wed May 25, 2005 6:58 pm
quote : #2
great to see that you got this game nikon.... i am goign to have to get it back from my cousin (who i let borrow it).

Do you prefer plaything this game in first person or third... It seems from what you were saying you liked the first person view. I enjoy the third person view since i was use to it from Socom.
Posted:
Wed May 25, 2005 7:09 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
I use both actually. I switch off between them equally. There are areas on many maps that I will end up using first person view. Other times I will end up using 3rd. Its something I switch back and forth with on the fly during gameplay. I have it mapped to the triangle button on the controller.
rank 23
Posted:
Wed May 25, 2005 7:59 pm
quote : #4
Glad to see you got it and like it. I never got into it really, but hopefully this summer we can all play some good games.

Spidhopddy
rank 13
Posted:
Wed May 25, 2005 8:16 pm
quote : #5
yea we should get some games set up in the upcoming weeks.

*High Score on SWBF* 89 Kills -12 Deaths -19 Captures
Total Time Played: 6 hours and 48 minutes
Total Games: 67
Kills: 722
Deaths: 150
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Thu May 26, 2005 5:24 am
quote : #6
ill probably be busy the next week with graduation stuff everynight but after that week ill be free.
Posted:
Thu May 26, 2005 5:40 pm
quote : #7
Smile
Congradulations. SWBF has tons of replay value. I go inbetween 3rd and 1st person view also. I have my L3 button programmed for that option. I find when I am out of my major ammo that a hand blaster in 1st person view can do a good job keeping you alive. I stay in team damage off, auto asign, and galatic civil war servers usually. Every now and then you will get an asshole who likes to team kill in your game. The option team damage off helps prevent team killing somewhat. Though somebody can still run you over in a vehical, things usally go pretty smooth in a SWBF game.

All this talk about SWBF is making me want to play. I will see you guys online. Im outta here.

"77"

My user name is myspace/hooligan_77 on Star Wars Battlefront.
Star Wars Battlefront and PSU are the only games I play online currently for my PS2.
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Thu May 26, 2005 8:24 pm
quote : #8
i didnt know you could assign a button to switch views.. i always thought u had to do it in the options ill have to check it out
Posted:
Fri May 27, 2005 3:47 pm
quote : #9
Mir_wan wrote:
i didnt know you could assign a button to switch views.. i always thought u had to do it in the options ill have to check it out

Yeah you can. It makes the game alot more interesting. The L3 button was never an option on the games controller settiings. It only seemed right to program it to switch inbetween 1st and 3rd persosn view.

"77"

Star Wars Battlefront and PSU are the only games I play online currently for my PS2.
Bawitback
rank 7
Posted:
Fri May 27, 2005 8:55 pm
quote : #10
Personally one of my favorite Playstation 2 Online titles. But if compared to the PC version, the results differ (graphics, gameplay, est) anyway, I just rented SW:BF today anyone up for some battles? Twisted Evil
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Fri May 27, 2005 9:48 pm
quote : #11
do you have the pc version
Posted:
Sat May 28, 2005 12:30 am
quote : #12
Bawitback wrote:
Personally one of my favorite Playstation 2 Online titles. But if compared to the PC version, the results differ (graphics, gameplay, est) anyway, I just rented SW:BF today anyone up for some battles? Twisted Evil

I heard the SWBF PC version does not have headset communication. Is that true?

Spidhopddy
rank 13
Posted:
Sat May 28, 2005 6:07 am
quote : #13
no the pc version does not have its own dedicated headset support, but you can always use a seperate client for this such as Teamspeak.

*High Score on SWBF* 89 Kills -12 Deaths -19 Captures
Total Time Played: 6 hours and 48 minutes
Total Games: 67
Kills: 722
Deaths: 150
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Sat May 28, 2005 3:01 pm
quote : #14
thaw wars battlefront for PC is only like 10 dollars on ebay.. i was thinking about checking it out
Posted:
Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:51 pm
quote : #15
I was going to buy this game and the price was still 39.99 USED! I tried on both Xbox and PS2. I really want it though. I'll end up buying Rainbow Six 3 probaly, its only 14.99 right now. Smile