Topic: PS2 HD question

Page 1 of 3
Bawitback
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:47 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
How does saving the PS2 game work? I mean, I know you can transfer files through FTP using your computer and the PS2. But, are you saving the actual game ,in whole, to the PS2 HD? If so, is the cd necessary? (once HD loads game) Question
Spidhopddy
rank 13
Posted:
Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:55 pm
quote : #2
All the Hrad Drive does and will ever do LEGALLY is be a back-up for your memory cards and just a spatter of other uses elsewhere; such as

1) three new maps for socom 2, which are saved to the HDD from the disk you purchased them
2) Downloadable camo for Metal gear Solid 3
3) FFXI and Playonline (playonline is like email and IM on your ps2 and a multiplayer card game online)
4) The ESPN 2k games (not sure of the newer releases anyway) where you can save replays to the HDD.
No there is no web browser
No there is no transferring of files over the internet
No there is no direct saving of games of game saves to the HDD (without illegal methods)
And lastly there is no real use for the HDD unless your a die-hard Socom 2 fan (thats NEEDS the new maps, which arent even played that much online) or you cant play FFXI on your computer, for various reasons. Oh yea, FFXI charges you a monthly fee.
Enjoy... if you can.

*High Score on SWBF* 89 Kills -12 Deaths -19 Captures
Total Time Played: 6 hours and 48 minutes
Total Games: 67
Kills: 722
Deaths: 150
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:56 pm
quote : #3
you can save games to the hdd if you have the hd loader disk.... then you would put the hd loader disk in the PS2 to play those games
Posted:
Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:52 am
quote : #4
Spidhopddy wrote:
All the Hrad Drive does and will ever do LEGALLY is be a back-up for your memory cards and just a spatter of other uses elsewhere; such as

1) three new maps for socom 2, which are saved to the HDD from the disk you purchased them
2) Downloadable camo for Metal gear Solid 3
3) FFXI and Playonline (playonline is like email and IM on your ps2 and a multiplayer card game online)
4) The ESPN 2k games (not sure of the newer releases anyway) where you can save replays to the HDD.
No there is no web browser
No there is no transferring of files over the internet
No there is no direct saving of games of game saves to the HDD (without illegal methods)
And lastly there is no real use for the HDD unless your a die-hard Socom 2 fan (thats NEEDS the new maps, which arent even played that much online) or you cant play FFXI on your computer, for various reasons. Oh yea, FFXI charges you a monthly fee.
Enjoy... if you can.

5) Don't forget the HDD support of Resident Evil: Outbreak for slightly faster loading times...does RE: Outbreak 2 even support the HDD still?
Posted:
Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:33 am
quote : #5
oh yea my mistake. And i'm not sure if the new Resident Evil outbreak supports it or not. that would be interesting to find out.

grubensau
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:07 am
quote : #6
So does the hd effects the game loading times or isnt it noticeble?

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:41 pm
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U/C
grubensau wrote:
So does the hd effects the game loading times or isnt it noticeble?

For RE:Outbreak? I've heard it affects the loading times VASTLY. I wouldn't know for sure, though.

Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:54 pm
quote : #8
yes the hdd cuts loading times down a lot
Posted:
Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:44 am
quote : #9
yea just for RE: Outbreak, not sure about the new one.

prophet138
rank 4
Posted:
Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:16 am
quote : #10
Type: NTSC-U
well i know that if you have a hard drive you can do the following, install complete games on it but you would need hdloader or hd advance, you can play a few emus such as pgen which is a genesis emulator and install the roms on the hd, you can also play neo geo cd games with the neocd/ps2 emulator which can also be installed in the hdd, there's a nes and gameboy emu, mp3 player and a media player.
XBOX 360 - Gears of War 3
satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:59 pm
quote : #11
Type: NTSC-U/C
prophet138 wrote:
well i know that if you have a hard drive you can do the following, install complete games on it but you would need hdloader or hd advance, you can play a few emus such as pgen which is a genesis emulator and install the roms on the hd, you can also play neo geo cd games with the neocd/ps2 emulator which can also be installed in the hdd, there's a nes and gameboy emu, mp3 player and a media player.

Well, you can legitly install FFX on the HDD, assuming you have a Japanese copy of FFX, a Japanese PS2, a Japanese HDD, and the Japanese BBNav software... But there IS an install option in the main menu of FFX if you meet all of those requirements...

Edit: Also in Kingdom Hearts and a few other games, I do believe.

Freshcut_t70
banned!
Posted:
Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:58 pm
quote : #12
It sounds like a $100.00 doorstop to me, if you want a Hard drive that actually works then get a PC or even an Xbox which actually uses its HDD for more then just a few games and features.

grubensau
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:04 pm
quote : #13
well see I would use the hd for saving my games, so I havent change the cd any longer. But before I spent 100,- EUR (thats what a hd included a bba goes for here) I would like 2 know if that would load all my games faster..... So is anyone here using a hd and the hd-loader and do the games now load faster?

prophet138
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:39 am
quote : #14
Type: NTSC-U
much faster, but if your're looking into doing the hd loader thing, you might want to get a maxtor hdd that fits in the ps2 that way you can buy one that's like 120 gb
XBOX 360 - Gears of War 3
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:37 am
quote : #15
with the hd loader the load times are tons quicker