satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:32 am
quote : #16
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
prophet138 wrote:
much faster, but if your're looking into doing the hd loader thing, you might want to get a maxtor hdd that fits in the ps2 that way you can buy one that's like 120 gb

Yes. If you're using HDLoader, it does not matter if you're using the official harddrive or not. Maxtor drives seem to have the most success, or so I've read.

Bawitback
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:08 pm
quote : #17
Thanks for the respones. I'm thinking about getting one. Cool
Spidhopddy
rank 13
Posted:
Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:28 am
quote : #18
cheap maxtor are up for grabs on Pricewatch.com for around 100gb for $50.

*High Score on SWBF* 89 Kills -12 Deaths -19 Captures
Total Time Played: 6 hours and 48 minutes
Total Games: 67
Kills: 722
Deaths: 150
Freshcut_t70
banned!
Posted:
Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:34 am
quote : #19
If you have a pS2 slim then don't bother since the HDD isn't compatible.

killer-elite
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:59 pm
quote : #20
The only thing about putting a unofficial HDD in your PS2 is that you can't go online with it (because of DNAS) which will get you in alot of hotwater with SONY and I think banning your Console or IP Address from accessing SONY's Servers....but if you don't have Online I'd say it's a pretty sweet deal...goodbye load times & the hassel of loading the cd into the tray each and every time to play a game....

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:21 pm
quote : #21
killer-elite wrote:
The only thing about putting a unofficial HDD in your PS2 is that you can't go online with it (because of DNAS) which will get you in alot of hotwater with SONY and I think banning your Console or IP Address from accessing SONY's Servers....but if you don't have Online I'd say it's a pretty sweet deal...goodbye load times & the hassel of loading the cd into the tray each and every time to play a game....

DNAS won't let you go online if it detects an unofficial HDD? That's... very odd. Seeing as how nothing else even really notices it exists...

Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:06 pm
quote : #22
A game saved to a HDD using HDLoader can't connect to play online, I think that might of been what he meant.

From what I understand, it's not so much because of DNAS, but because HDLoader disables the Network Adaptor for "Legal Reasons". But, if you could get the NA to function, then the games would fail the DNAS check, and then you would be boned.

I don't think SCE bans IPs or System IDs unless it's pretty obvious that you're using a pirated copy of the game (i.e. - if the same copy of a game is online under two different users, both get banned automatically). I klnow sometimes DNAS checks fail out of the blue, and Sony has stated that they would start "scanning HDDs for illegal game content" in the past (right after HDLoader was released), but the technology for them to do that does not exist in, nor is implemented in, the PS2.

One question that I always had was is it possible to get online with a game booted from the HDD with HDLoader/HDAdvance using an external USB modem such as the one below?

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=23&products_id=2895&

I don't care enough to spend twenty clams to find out, but that may be an option if you really want to go online using HDLoaded games. All of this is assuming that you are legitamately installing games you own onto your HDD so that you can safeguard your system's laser or you game discs themselves, that is.

prophet138
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:27 pm
quote : #23
Type: NTSC-U
you can go online with your actual copy of the game even if you have a third party hdd in your ps2, you can't go online with the games in your hdd because hdloader uses the same drivers on the network adapter to boot the games as when you go online, you can go online with earlier games such as tony hawk 3 and 4, tribes aa and tmb straight from the hdd Mr. Green
XBOX 360 - Gears of War 3
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:38 am
quote : #24
when you try to go online with a DNAS game saved to your hdd the screen either goes black or it says like no network adaptor found .. it never actualkly makes it to the DNAS check.
Posted:
Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:47 am
quote : #25
I'm wondering if this hd loader is silver or blue bottom becouse my ps2 that I use the most only plays silver bottom dvds.

Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:40 pm
quote : #26
hd loader disk has a blue bottom
Posted:
Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:02 pm
quote : #27
Isn't there two different kinds of hd loader things? Two different brands? Are they both blue bottm? I hope they both aren't Confused

Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:58 pm
quote : #28
there is hd loadder and hd advance ... im not sure what hd advance is but im guessing it will be the same..
Posted:
Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:02 pm
quote : #29
Type: NTSC-U
hd loader was the orginal, hd advance has a few tweeks to it, people have made big improvements on these to play lots more games, you can even install hd loader on your memory card, but i'm not sure if were allowed to talk about stuff like that here,
XBOX 360 - Gears of War 3
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:14 am
quote : #30
Freshcut_t70 wrote:
It sounds like a $100.00 doorstop to me, if you want a Hard drive that actually works then get a PC or even an Xbox which actually uses its HDD for more then just a few games and features.

You can use a PC or Xbox to load PS2 games?