Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
MasterChief
rank 16
Posted:
Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:35 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
i got a deal pending for the ps2 hd. (50 brand new) and i was wondering a few things:

- if i used it with hdadvance, would i have to format it to the HDA format?

- if so, can i format it back using the included disk?

- or can FF7 and HDA coexsist peacefully?

thanks for any help anyone can provide. i dont have to let him know until monday, so no hurry or anything.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:28 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
FF7, or FF11?

I would THINK that you don't have to reformat it in order to use HDA. They might allow you to backup your games to the harddrive without wiping FFXI from the disk, but you never know. I haven't had any experience with HDA...

Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:19 pm
quote : #3
Before we go any further, you might want to read this thread here: http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1212

Here is some info in general on why the HDD rocks from another thread:
Einhander (who is Narcissisticly referencing himself) wrote:
If you can find it that cheap, it's definately worth a look, even if you don't own HDLoader or HDAdvance. Having to never worry about buying a PS2 memory card again (assuming your a patient gamer - swapping saves from HDD to Memory card from time to time) is totally worth it. Add an HD program to the mix, and it becoms an incredible tool.

Nothing like cutting down my THUG 2 loading times to 3-4 seconds. Even games without a huge amount of loading can benefit from being installed to a HDD. Metal Gear Solid 3 always had a 1-2 second delay when I went to my radio. Whether this was a normal amount of loading for the game, or my aging PS2's DVD drive is getting a little too long in the tooth, it doesn't matter. Off of my HDD, it's instant. And, my copy of MGS3 stays on the shelf in it's case, staying pristine and scratchless.

My ludicrous amount of game saves is kept sorted and easy to browse on folders on my HDD. All of my various THUG 2 parks/graphics/tricks are kept in a specific folder, all of my GT4 pictures have one, all of my TimeSplitters 3 maps have one... etc. it makes finding a specific save so much easier than browsing a card, or browsing multiple cards.

HDAdvance is a modified version of HDLoader, which boasts the ability to work with HDDs up to 200GB (as opposed to HDLoader's 127GB limit), and a few other tweaks.

FFXI and backed-up gamesaves from a memory card can both coexist with games installed to your Official Sony Brand HDD. The games simply show up in your browser on your HDD as saves, with an HDLoader or HDAdvance logo. No formatting of any kind required.

Know in advance that HDLoader/HDAdvance require around two gigs of space as overhead for system use, and the PS2 HDD is only 38GB after it's formatting (which happens before it is sold), so you'll only have around 36GB for games. Final Fantasy XI uses somewhere in the neighborhood of Eight gigabytes alone, and around eight and a half with the PlayOnline software, so you'll have less than 28GBs free for games if you do decide to play FFXI.

DVD-Rom based games run anywhere from one to four gigs, and dual layer discs 4 to almost 9 gigs. The only way to install dual-layer games is to use a PC with your PS2 HDD hooked up. CD-ROM based games obviously only use less than 600-700 MBs. I believe Final Fantasy XI isn't worth it.

Google "HD Loader compatibility" for a compatibility listing. Not all games are compatible. Also, you cannot play DNAS-enabled games online if you boot them from your HDD. You'll have to actually take the disc off the shelf and put it in if you want to play the game online.

You can also boot HDloader/HDAdvance using nothing more than a PS2 memory card and and a PS1 disc, but it requires access to a modded PS2 to install the program to the memory card. Either Google "Independence meory card exploit" or ask here if you are curious.

MasterChief
rank 16
Posted:
Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:23 pm
quote : #4
man, thanks for the extencive info Einhander.

so just to reinterate for the idiots out there (like me), HDA requires no formating for any HD, or is it just not required on the ps2 HD?

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:27 pm:

and in responce to this thread:

http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1212

im interested in using HDA under its actual intention, so i can keep my disks minty fresh and ON THE SHELF! where they belong.
plus i already have 50+ ps2 games, im not gonna start pirating now.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:38 pm
quote : #5
HDL/HDA will have to format a non-sony HDD. Also, a non-Sony HDD won't show up in your PS2's browser (it will lack the Sony brand HDD firmware), and you won't be able to transfer game saves to and from your memory card with it.

But, with a non-Sony brand, you can have up to 200GB space, as opposed to 40.

MasterChief
rank 16
Posted:
Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:11 am
quote : #6
man, thanks for all the info Einhander, really cool of you.

im gonna pass on the drive for now. 50 is still a little to steep for the hd. ill try to get it cheaper.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:32 pm
quote : #7
MasterChief wrote:
man, thanks for all the info Einhander, really cool of you.

im gonna pass on the drive for now. 50 is still a little to steep for the hd. ill try to get it cheaper.

Hey, don't worry about it. If I can get a ton of other people to buy it, no one can make fun of me for having one anymore.

Honestly, I think $50 new is a pretty good deal. After my employee discount, I got mine for around that price, but that was a long time ago. I think with a lot of places just trying to get rid of them at any price, you can probably find it online for next to nothing, though.

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:46 pm
quote : #8
I got mine for $100 a week or so after it came out <_< But it's all good, the HDD has more than payed for itself. Especially with the '04 Holiday Demo Disc that had that Viewtiful Joe 2 bug... Wiped my entire goddamn memory card! Thankfully, practically all of my saves had a recent backup on the HDD! HDD for the win! Plus, I've also started to play FFXI again, so I'm glad I have it.

Edit: Also, is it still possible for one to acquire HDA? I've been meaning to get a copy of this for quite some time now... It'd be great if I were to ever get Tribes as well, seeing as how it doesn't go through DNAS (or so I've heard, anyway). Also, can it back up PS1 games? Load times on those are REDICULOUS!

Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:22 pm
quote : #9
Check ebay for the HD advance and loader disk
Posted:
Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:55 pm
quote : #10
http://joystores.com/product_info.php/products_id/1807

thats the usb version that looks like the better one imo.

they have a link to the ide one there as well.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:23 pm
quote : #11
Sweet! That's awesome! I'm glad I bought an 80GB external USB harddrive a while back! Very Happy

Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:35 pm
quote : #12
I'd reccomend staying as far away from the USB HDL/HDA type software packages as possible.

USB 1.1 has a max transfer rate of 1.5MBps. This means that if you're using a USB connection to load your games, there's a good chance it will take longer to load than it would from your PS2's disc drive.

The PS2's DVD-Rom drive runs at 4x, meaning it can transfer data at a max rate of around 5.4MBps. It's CD-Rom drive runs at 24x, meaning it can transfer data at around 3.6MBps.*

The stock 5400RPM 40GB Sony HDD transfers data at a max rate of 66MBps.

*(The transfer rates of DVD drives are run in 1350KBps intervals (4 x 1350 = 5400), and the transfer rates of CD drives are run in 150KBps intervals(24 x 150 = 3600.) This is caused by the amount of data density on a single revolution of a CD-Rom vrs. the single revolution of a DVD. Since DVDs have more data per area than CD-Roms, a DVD drive can spin slower, and still retrieve more data than a CD-Rom drive.)

So,

HDD..........................................66MBps
PS2 Disc Drive (DVD)..............5.4MBps
PS2 Disc Drive (CDROM).........3.6MBps
USB 1.1....................................1.5MBps

The USB solution (although it works, and is your only option with a newer PS2) would probably make your load times even more excrutiating than they already are.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:47 pm
quote : #13
I would just like to add that regardless of loading times, I think the HDD option whether you use the original HDD, a different HD, or USB HD, is a really great idea. Why? Because backing up your games is a good thing! I realise lately that having backups of my games is so important. On dreamcast I have backup versions of all my favorite games.

Now on the PS2 I can get a HDD, backup all my games on it and have it on the side in-case of some crazy catastrophe.

PLUS another way it really comes in handy is LAN GAMES!!! You wouldn't have to have 2 copies of the game. Could just run the original disc on one PS2, and then run it off the HD on another PS2.

Do you need a mod-chip to run HD Advance with an un-official HD?
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:54 pm
quote : #14
No mod chip required, the only downside to using a non-Sony HDD is it won't show up in your PS2's browser.

HDL and HDA both disable your NA though, which makes the game unplayable online. Not only that, but the games would fail the DNAS check anyway. But since the NA is disabled, that means that LAN games wouldn't be playable anyway, as far as I can tell. I'll try and see what I can dig up on what exactly HDL/HDA do with the network adaptor.

Shouldn't affect i.Link games like UT, GT3, and the Armored Cores, though.

MasterChief
rank 16
Posted:
Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:20 pm
quote : #15
i was able to talk the guy down to 40 so i now have in my posession a FF Xi HD.

a fact he forgot to mention is he never seemed to have used it. all of the contents are still sealed, only the box itsself has been opened.

so soon comes the HD advance. for now im just gonna back up my favorite games. a little later i may get a big ol 200 giger and back up my entire collection.

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:59 pm:

ok, i slaped it in and its recognized on my browser.
theres 3 icons pre loaded. when i select the "play Online", it goes to a black screen, and after a second comes right back it the top menu of the browser. i assume this is because the disk needs to be in there? i have no real intention on playing FF due to the fees. and id like to keep the disk sealed for resale value.

so i ask of my experianced FF brethren, is the broblem described normal?

RIP Dark Slayer 5000