Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
OmegaChrono
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:34 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I was just wondering if theres a way to connect both the computer and PS2 to the cable modem without a router, because I cant really afford a router right now but I wanna be able to use the computer and PS2 online at the same time instead of always changing the cable everytime I wanna play online with the PS2, it just feels like a hassle to me.

I remember when I was reading about tunneling games with Timesplitters 2 you use 2 network cards or something and connect the PS2 to the computer. I wasnt sure if this would work for non-LAN games aswell. Or are there other ways to use both at the sametime?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:16 am
quote : #2
Yep Smile You need to setup internet connection sharing. If you are running windows XP it is extremly easy.

Go here for some more information:
http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/cms_view_article.php?aid=25
(There are some tutorial links in this URL to ICS setup guides on the net)

Basically you just need 2 network cards in your PC. One for the incoming broadband, and the second to connect your PS2. You will also need either a 4port HUB and 2 ethernet cables, and setting the hub to "uplink" mode. Or a crossover cable. This is needed to connect your PS2 to the spare NIC in your PC.

Then you setup ICS and you should be all set.

If you do not have a spare network card or a crossover cable, do not go and buy them from a store. You will get ripped off. Stores charge WAY TOO MUCH money for cross over cables. Shop online and get a spare NIC and crossover cable for dirt cheap.

Hope some of this information helps. Razz
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:14 am
quote : #3
you might be able to find a good crossover cable at a fairly cheap price at a computer store that can make them there.. I got a 50 ft cable at a computer store in my town that was made there by customer request.....It was a reasonable price too 14.99 for a 50 ft cable.
Posted:
Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:29 pm
quote : #4
If you're cable modem has a USB port you can use both the USB and Ethernet ports simultaneously. And from what I've read, you can use the USB cable on the PS2 and have it work as an ethernet adapter Shocked I need to try that out just for the sake of experimentation.

Also, I dunno if this method requires you to pay for more than on IP address from your ISP. Routers and the afforrementioned ICS methods don't, though.

EDIT: I meant CABLE MODEM, not ROUTER in the first sentence!!

Last edited by satoshi on Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:14 pm
quote : #5
satoshi wrote:
If you're router has a USB port you can use both the USB and Ethernet ports simultaneously. And from what I've read, you can use the USB cable on the PS2 and have it work as an ethernet adapter Shocked I need to try that out just for the sake of experimentation.

Yeah, I remember that kind of thing coming out onto the market...the GoNet adaptor, I think it was called. It only worked with a few games, though, so it wasn't entirely fail-safe. I know the Tony Hawk line of games support certain USB network adaptors as well.
Posted:
Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:58 pm
quote : #6
I was wondering, since my PS2 is connected to the computer instead of directly to the cable modem, does that mean my computer has to be on to play online?

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:15 pm
quote : #7
Yes it does.

I just noticed, in the first sentence of my previous post, I said "router," I meant to say "cable modem." My bad.

Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:13 pm
quote : #8
Only the origional online games are compatible with the usb network adaptors
Posted:
Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:58 am
quote : #9
I've got just about everything figured out except for the part of how I'm going to pay for the network card and crossover cable. I looked on tigerdirect.com and I'm planning on getting the:
100ft crossover cable (24.99)http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1004001&CatId=753
network card (6.99) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=876420&CatId=587
I wanna get the 100ft cable so I can play online in my livingroom with the big screen tv ^_^. My online problem now is finding the money to pay for all of it...because I'm pretty broke and I dont exactly have a way of obtaining money. The only thing I can think of is wait till my brithday (the 18th) and the use the money I hopefully get from that. I've been looking for a job but I've been too lazy to apply at places.

Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:52 am
quote : #10
if your birthday is the 18ths you dont have too much longer to wait.
Posted:
Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:48 pm
quote : #11
I ended up getting a router...I guess my sister convinced them since her free 6 months are up with AOL. I just finished installing it (alone, since I'm the only one in the house who knows anything about computers). Best thing is, I didnt have to spend a cent because my parents paid for it. Next on my to buy list is a headset, so I can actually communicate with the peope I play with ^_^. Maybe I'll get jabber too so can get some games in with you guys.

Freshcut_t70
banned!
Posted:
Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:34 am
quote : #12
I use Windows XP and a DSL modem to hook into the internet. The set up has the regular broad band cables and a USB connection cable. The Modem has 4 extra ports including one for the USB. My question is can i connect my PS2 with the regular cable from the modem and connect the modem using the USB cable. Would this give me two simultaneous working connections?

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:32 pm
quote : #13
Sorry for reviving a bit of an old thread here but it had some useful information for me.

My Modem a Motorola surfboard which I use over Telewest network (recently been bought out by Virgin) has a USB and network cable connection. Currently I use my PC over USB and the PS2 via the network cable. I hadnt though too see if they both work at the same time but I will try it later and let you know if they do. I must say I have doubts I have been experiencing problems with losing my PC BB connection since I have been swapping inputs. I have found I have to totaly switch of my modem for 30 seconds which reboots it before I can use my PC after playing PS2 online. If I dont do this sometimes my PC wont even get past the memory check part of setup it just sits there doing nothing.

Laters
Posted:
Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:59 am
quote : #14
I have multiple network cards lying around and was thinking of sticking them into my media pc that sits under my consoles. Would I be able to plug my PS2, cube & Xbox into these network cards and use the PC like a ethernet switch box, or am I right in thinking you can only share an internet connection to one other network device?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:10 am
quote : #15
I have never tried using multiple spare nework cards to allow 2 or more consoles to share a PC's connection. I would think it should work, but I have never tried it myself.