Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
YouBlowinMyHigh
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:52 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Ive heard from different sources sony is going to drop the price of the ps2 around this coming up holiday season. Does anyone think this has some merit? I do... might even drop the price sooner. I highly doubt it will stop people from buying xbox 360 tho. I want that slimline version so if their gonna drop the price i might as well wait till they do and then get it.
Posted:
Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:10 pm
quote : #2
it should be $99 in not too much more time
Posted:
Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:29 pm
quote : #3
Good, because now I wont have to resort to buying a used one now. Very Happy

dwachill
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:00 am
quote : #4
^ Buy a used one anyways. Ill pick up an extra, Old style one used when they drop price. Should go down to 60 or 70 bucks used.
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:29 pm
quote : #5
it will be nice to pick up an extra one when they are dirt cheap for LAn games and such
Posted:
Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:48 pm
quote : #6
dwachill wrote:
^ Buy a used one anyways. Ill pick up an extra, Old style one used when they drop price. Should go down to 60 or 70 bucks used.

Yea, the only problem with that is that's how my first PS2 was broken. Bought it used with a Disk Read error.

Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:58 pm
quote : #7
well most of the sotres that sell used ps2's check them and make sure that they are working properly
Posted:
Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:06 pm
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U/C
I don't see the slim models dropping to $99.99. It would seem really awkward.

I think Sony will drop them to 129.99 before they go to 99.99
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:45 pm
quote : #9
129.99 seems like the price sony will sell them at soon
Posted:
Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:41 pm
quote : #10
I would agree on that one. I think a drop will be announced just prior to the launch date of the XBox 360.

Anyway, that's what I'd do.

Hello Children!
Check out Scent of a Robot at http://www.petemiser.com/
dwachill
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:12 pm
quote : #11
I dont think a 20 dollar price drop would help them sell more units. To me, it would have to be a 50 dollar drop to really make an impact.
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:22 pm
quote : #12
it would be nice to see the sim lines at 99
Posted:
Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:34 pm
quote : #13
Well all i can say is that sony is gonna be in a huge hole if they dont drop it to $99. $129.99 isnt a sufficient price break especially if they try to combat the release of xbox 360.
Posted:
Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:13 pm
quote : #14
Type: NTSC-U/C
The BBC reports Sony has officially stated there will not be any price cuts this holiday season, click here It makes no sense for sony to cut prices. The PS2 just flat out sells, regardless of the 360 release, or the Nintendo DS price cut and the release of Nintendogs (however psp is in deep shit).

Just look at the PSOne, when it released its new model, the thing still was selling. It's still on the market to this day, and the system still gets new games. Yea....I know...freaking wierd, but it does. EA often puts out PS1 versions of their sports titles on the PS1, and a variety of kids games, disney games and other ports still trickle onto the platform, see example.

The Playstation 2 is a cash cow and is #1 in the market. Not stating this as a bragging thing or anything. I am saying this because it will greatly determine the decision sony makes in the coming months.

If sony can hold out longer for next gen, it will widen the gap. If sony can stay in the market with the PS2 and essentially "chill out" for another year, thats just more time they have to work on crafting the PS3 and to parallel any successfull aspects of the Xbox 360. Not only this but it gives Nintendo even FURTHER time to work on the Revolution. Since Nintendo plans to release the revolution very late.

(Many analysts have even said that the PS3's biggest competition next generaton is the PS2.)

Just look at all the titles coming out for the PS2 between now and mid-october, click here. Couple this, with the fact that companies don't make money on hardware, but software and peripherals, and its pretty evident that the PS2 staying at $149.99 will not put a damper on Sony's holiday sales.

It seems almost bizarre that the next generation is sparking off this November. With all of the online titles coming out for the PS2 and Xbox this fall, it seems like a crazy move to launch the 360 right now. Sony doesn't have to drop their price, because of the following software hitting the market, and THIS is infact the 360's greatest competition:

Battlefield Modern Combat (XB/PS2)
Socom 3 (PS2)
Star Wars Battlefront 2 (XB/PS2)
Far Cry Instincts (XB)
Burnout Revenge (XB/PS2)
Rainbow Six Lockdown (XB/PS2)
Call of Duty 2 (XB/PS2)

These games are going to sell through the roof.
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:06 pm
quote : #15
I actually aggree. There are many great games coming out for this-gen consoles. Hell, the 360 only has about 5 good games coming out for the holiday season. If it wernt for my obsession about having a new system the day it comes out, i wouldnt be getting one.