This guide as been moved to here:

http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=234

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:37 pm
quote : #2
profile : pm
ooooh so that's what a crossover cable is!!! lol i made one of these in my computer science class last week!!!! lmfao!! Razz isnt it also called a utp cable? yea well i have the one i made at home so i'm gonna test this shyt out this weekend..i really hope it works Very Happy

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:44 pm
quote : #3
UTP is just Unshielded Twisted Pair, and could be crossover or normal.

Basically a crossover cable allows you to plug two ethernet devices directly into each other using that cable. Normally, you would have to have a hub, switch, or router in the middle, plus a normal cable to go from each ethernet device into the hub. With a crossover cable, you just plug each end of the cable into each device (but of course you're limited to two devices).

This is an excellent idea, by the way. It's really easy to set up (as long as you have Win98 SE or newer), and it should come in useful for those folks that don't have access to broadband.

MasterChief
rank 16
Posted:
Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:33 pm
quote : #4
i got dsl. but i think ill try it just for the hell of it.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
kodabb51
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:23 pm
quote : #5
ok i've tried this three times and it didnt work Sad i'm guessing that the cable i'm using which is the one i made in class isnt a crossover cable which is why it isn't working can someone plz test this out and let me know if it works??

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:25 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
I jus tgot paid some heavy money so i'll be snaggin a crossover cable soon to try this out myself. I know it works. You just need the right cable.
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:18 pm
quote : #7
Yes; I've done it, but with a PC as the second device instead of a PS2. It does definitely work.

Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:55 am
quote : #8
how do you set it up with your ps2 being the main computer.. Would you connect with your ps2 first // and if you do that can you play socom with dail up and ics?
Posted:
Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:15 am
quote : #9
im going to try to set up an ICS wit my ps2 this weekend, after i get the network card. Also going to get up my Dreamcast on the network. Hope everything works out
Havent heard anything bout making the ps2 the main comp, but maybe with some configuration you could do that. My friend did that with the dreamcast and shared its dial-up connection with his computer.

*High Score on SWBF* 89 Kills -12 Deaths -19 Captures
Total Time Played: 6 hours and 48 minutes
Total Games: 67
Kills: 722
Deaths: 150
martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:24 pm
quote : #10
I do not think that any console system (PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox, whatever) is capable of being the primary connection and sharing with another machine.

It is my understanding that the machine with the primary connection to the internet must be a computer with at least two network adapter type devices (network cards and/or analog modems). One of the computer's network devices connects to the internet, the computer's other network device provides a connection to the machine or machines that are trying to "share into" the internet connection, and the computer itself manages the "sharing."