Topic: s.l.a.i.

Page 1 of 2
chicagodave
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:12 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
im not sure what catetory this game belonged so i just posted here. action i guessed.

this is the first ps2 online mech game. its looking pretty sweet and also at $40 not the regular price. release date: sept-20th

official site: http://www.konami.com/gs/officialsi...ntents/top.html

heres a nice preview:
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/646/646223p1.html

there will be a playable demo of the game in the next opm on sale oct -6.
Posted:
Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:34 pm
quote : #2
kinda looks like an Armored Core rip off
Posted:
Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:03 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
SLAI is pretty basic. The combat comes down to splattering your ammo all over the place hoping that the bullets reign down on your enemy. Its more or less an arcade style mech combat game. They are obviously trying to use ideas that made other games like Armored Core, Mech Warrior, and Gun Griffon successfull franchises. However I don't think it works all that great when you try to mash it all together and pray for the best. Its great that SLAI has some levels of customization. However without putting thought into the customization system it can turn into a pretty useless novelty. I guess I can only say that having played the AC series so long, which has a mech creation system that actually makes sense.

There is only one thing I think this game succeeds at. It gives the less hardcore gamers a way to get into mech based arena combat.

Armored Core is a very hardcore game. Not only does it take skill to build your mech and balance its stats, but also piloting it and conserving resources is a critical component to the gameplay.

I'll give an analogy between SLAI and Armored Core.

Imagine Killzone if you will. The game as it is right now represents SLAI. If there was a Killzone like AC, you would be required to take apart, and clean your gun between each round which would have an impact on your performance.

I'm not saying in AC you have to wash your parts lol. I'm just saying that with AC it might be too insane for some people to play. And SLAI might fare as a more viable option for those looking to hop into a mech and start blasting away.

If your really looking for a DEEP mech experience with serious hardcore physics and weapon response. Buy armored core now. If you are looking for a casual mech combat game to take online every once and a while, and are not looking to exert too much effort constructing a mech, then get SLAI. Or if you have the money can get both hehe.

From the videos I have seen though, SLAI's combat seems pretty mindless.
rank 12
Posted:
Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:45 am
quote : #4
Having played the demo from last year, the game is actually pretty fun. It's balanced for anyone to pick up and play. And the music absolutely rocks.
Posted:
Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:09 am
quote : #5
I should also point out that I will probobly end up buying SLAI, simply because I am a mech game whore, and whenever I see giant mechanoid contraptions moving around launching ammo, I get tingly in my loins.

Won't be getting it at full price though hehe, that type of spending I reserve for the AC series.
rank 12
Posted:
Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:57 am
quote : #6
True, true.
Posted:
Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:01 am
quote : #7
well i will be getting it look me up guys.
Posted:
Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:01 pm
quote : #8
lordnikon wrote:
I should also point out that I will probobly end up buying SLAI, simply because I am a mech game whore, and whenever I see giant mechanoid contraptions moving around launching ammo, I get tingly in my loins.

Won't be getting it at full price though hehe, that type of spending I reserve for the AC series.

Have you had the chance to play Mechassault 2 yet? Kick ass mech game. Probobly my 2nd fav next to the original AC.
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:22 pm
quote : #9
The mech assault games' art direction strays too far from my tastes. The designs remind me of rockem-sockem robots in a lot of ways. Also some of the mechs in MechAssault arn't really built like machines. Their polygonal bodies are more like your average character skin in a first person shooter.

I have nothing against the game, its just not for me, doesn't match my style / tastes.
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:55 pm
quote : #10
mech assult is really arcady
Posted:
Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:26 am
quote : #11
Mechassault was ok. I only played the demo, so I'm giving my opinion based off it. But it didn't seem like it would hold me in.
Posted:
Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:52 am
quote : #12
yeah i played the game and liked it but it was never something i had to rush out and buy
Posted:
Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:21 pm
quote : #13
Well, I'm pretty surpised on how unpopular SLAI is on OC. I just got the game for christmas and i'm really liking it. To tell you the truth, I may be half off. Due to my neglection of Armored Core games (The last AC game I played was AC1) But I was hoping to play online with some OC members this week. I'll be on starting tomorrow. lso posted a small review on amazon -- here http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007ULFOS/ref=cm_rv_thx_view/103-0271517-8558214?%5Fe ncoding=UTF8&v=glance.
Freshcut_t70
banned!
Posted:
Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:46 pm
quote : #14
I'm kind of picky when it comes to Mech style games. I have Armored Core 2 but it really isn't my style. I tried Gungriffon Blaze and hated it though i enjoyed the first game on the Saturn. Mech Assault is a good arcade style game but i only have the demo. One of the best mech game series in my opinion is Iron Soldier which originated on the Atari Jaguar and made it to the PSone. Arcade gameplay but still pretty deep. Also Steel Battilion on the Xbox is one of the best Mech games ever...a very deep game.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:36 am
quote : #15
Bawitback wrote:
Well, I'm pretty surpised on how unpopular SLAI is on OC. I just got the game for christmas and i'm really liking it. To tell you the truth, I may be half off. Due to my neglection of Armored Core games (The last AC game I played was AC1) But I was hoping to play online with some OC members this week. I'll be on starting tomorrow. lso posted a small review on amazon -- here.

Here's the deal. Any online game takes a while for it to slip into this communities rotation. I know S.L.A.I. has been out a while now, but there are certain games users will buy right on release, and there are other games users will wait until the price drops because they just can't afford it. For instance, if a new Metroid or AC game comes out, I'm at the store or I have a pre-order in no questions asked. I pay full price for these games, and feel every penny I spent was worth it. Due to me not being ultra rich, and tracking down so many other games, I sometimes can't afford to pick up another game right away. I'm sure this is like this for other people as well.

Even the Armored Core series isn't that well integrated here, with only me and a few others owning a game. (I own them all though hehe.) Some people have yet to dig into the game, and others like Freshcut_t70, just won't find Armored Core to be their cup of tea. Which I TOTALLY can understand how some people would see the AC series as not their preferred brew. I just keep pushing Armored Core, because I am obsessed with it for one, and second, I feel the series is so worth it that people should atleast give it a try, because if you really get into it, its one of the most rewarding games on the market. But it all depends if your into that sort of thing.

Personally, I am a SUCKER for mech games. Not necessarily gundam games...I like them a lot but, I'm more into games like AC, Gun Griffon, etc etc. Games with customization and such.

So at some point I will be getting S.L.A.I. just because I'm a big retard and can't help picking up a mech game, even if I buy it and hate it. Right now I am looking at 20 or less new sealed for the price point I would pick it up as.

This game has a very Japanese-esque online setup. Not just because you can play against Japanese gamers, but its website, as well as its online setup is very much like Dreamcast games, or like many other features for online ps2 games in japan. Very much in the same veign as the Capcom games. I really like online games that are like this. The developers are much more involved with the website, and the online features tend to have some wierd thing or interface function that you wouldn't find on a game that was developed by western developers.

Bawitback, if you are patient you can play against me in the near future when I acquire the game. We can get some good games going. In the meantime I will keep an eye out. If you spot the title selling for 20 new online anywhere, feel free to drop me a PM.

On a side note, if anyone picks up AC:Nexus, or AC:NineBreaker....feel free to hit me up. I'll play you online anytime. Wink

EDIT: Well, ok I just ordered SLAI. I checked Amazon to see what the game was going for and got it for $15.71 after shipping. I just couldn't pass up that price. So I guess you'll see me online soon Bawitback. Smile