Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
wwjd
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:33 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Sorry guys, I tried looking around the site first, and am a PS2 n00b - I don't even own one yet, but have one game and WILL be purchasing very soon.... it's the new smaller one with built in networking. I see the big list of online capable games, but I will not be paying any companies to play anything online. That's just against my religion. Smile So, which games or hosts offer connection and play for free? Any? None? Help a n00b out and get me ontrack. thanks!

YouBlowinMyHigh
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:53 am
quote : #2
Welcome. I have the slimline ps2 also only thing that I dont like about it is no dial-up support. I understand your "religion" on not paying to play a game online. Thats the main reason I didnt get a Xbox, I would never pay for Xbox Live. Online support was left up to the developers for Sony's online gaming. The game developer sometimes charges subscription fees to play online. Most games are free to play online since you are the server or the client to other Playstation 2 systems. Im sure another member will give u a list of games that charge and the ones that dont.
Posted:
Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:45 pm
quote : #3
The following games cost money to play monthly

Final Fantasy XI
Phantasy Star Universe
Everquest Online Adventures
Everquest Frontiers

Thats it. Everything else is free.

However, if you plan to pick up Socom 3, in order to play on Rank Servers you must provide a credit card. There is no charge. If you plan to download content when it becomes avaible, this too will cost money.

And from what I heard, EA Sports titles now cost two bucks to play. Thats only a one time payment of two bucks. You don't even have to pay it, you can accept spam e-mail from ESPN to bypass the two buck fee.
Posted:
Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:29 am
quote : #4
JimSensei wrote:
The following games cost money to play monthly

Final Fantasy XI
Phantasy Star Universe
Everquest Online Adventures
Everquest Frontiers

Thats it. Everything else is free.

However, if you plan to pick up Socom 3, in order to play on Rank Servers you must provide a credit card. There is no charge. If you plan to download content when it becomes avaible, this too will cost money.

And from what I heard, EA Sports titles now cost two bucks to play. Thats only a one time payment of two bucks. You don't even have to pay it, you can accept spam e-mail from ESPN to bypass the two buck fee.

Thanks! This is good news to me. I just got my slimline PS2 and hopefully I'll get a game or two that plays online soon. I had heard that any and all the EA games you had to pay to play across their servers. I was hoping the GAMESPY system games were free and it looks like most are. Sweeet. Thanks for the info guys.

Any other advice? Ways to lower pings or enhanced enjoyment of PS2 ONLINE GAMING?