Topic: Network 2 Winxp computers

Page 1 of 1
YouBlowinMyHigh
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:26 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hopefully someone that knows a little about networking can help me out. I'm trying to setup a home network with 2 computers and my playstation 2. My main computer is running windows xp home and I have another computer running windows xp home.My main computer is connected thru dsl thru a 2wire 1701HG Gateway with 4 ethernet jacks. 3 of these jacks are already used with my 2 pcs and playstation 2. I want to be able to share files between the 2 pc's i really dont need ics because of the router/modem (2wire). Since both computers are hooked into my 2wire I'm assuming this is a physically connection between the two? or do I have to connect both computers with just a crossover cable from one nic card to the other? I also need to kno how to configure both computers in settings.
Posted:
Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:38 pm
quote : #2
I have to do pretty much the same thing you are (I got a new PC and it's been a hassle trying to mix things up in my flaking network setup -- basically I'm trying to make the new PC the host that brings in the internet instead of just a client), so thanks in advance anyone with some assistance for the both of us.
Posted:
Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:51 pm
quote : #3
I figured it out. I had turned off a couple services on both installations which seemed to be giving me the problem. I did a fresh install on both computers and factory reset my broadband router. Then I did the network setup wizard and enabled sharing on the drives I wanted.I was very dissapointed with the lack of information around the internet. I searched google for a day and half and nuthing was a simple explanation.
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:56 pm
quote : #4
Did you turn off simple file sharing? If you did not here is how to do it in this order: go to my computer,click tools,click folder options, click the view tab, scroll all the way down to the radio button to turn off simple file sharing. Now you will be able to acess the files from any computer on your network.
Posted:
Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:23 pm
quote : #5
I dont see that option ..... must be only for WinXp Pro? I have WinXP Pro SP2 but just not installed on any of my computers.