Page Location: Home > Archive > Monster Hunter (Archive) > Topic
Lunar Eclipse
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:23 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
It’s okay, it’s definitely a tough game to get into, but once you understand the mechanics of the game, you’ll find it very rewarding. The meat of this game is in the online mode, so that’s where you’ll be having most of your fun. Anyways, when you’re learning how to play, the last thing that you need is a high-powered player yelling “lol” every time you ask a question instead of actually answering it (as one did last night when I was trying to help Nikon get started). So I’m here to help. I am by no means an expert on Monster Hunter, but I’m HR11 (HR stands for "Hunter Rank" and maxes out at HR20) and I’ve logged quite a few hours, so I’d say I’m at least qualified to help you guys get started. Also, note that I’ve really only used two weapon types (Great Sword and Lance) and have really only spent a significant amount of time with one of those types (Great Sword), so I’m definitely not the person to ask about Bowguns (even though I love to play with Gunners) or some of the smaller weaponry. Now, let’s get this started.

BASICS/ARMOR

Let’s start by taking a look at the basics. First of all, CARVE EVERYTHING that you kill or that anyone else kills. Monster materials are invaluable for creating new armors and can also be sold to rake in a sizeable amount of cash. The Velociprey armor set is a good one for beginners and is relatively easy to get (since Velociprey are pretty weak). With Velociprey armor and a decent weapon you can probably kill a Yian Kut-Ku (the weakest Wyvern type), and the game starts to get pretty interesting from there. I would urge everyone to always have a full set of armor rather than an assortment of different pieces from different sets. I say this because a full armor set usually has some bonuses associated with it. I also would strongly encourage you to GET HELP. This game is not easy to solo as some of the wyverns are just plain hard, especially before you obtain some good armors. There is no “leveling up” in this game, so you can’t just kill monsters for an hour an instantly be stronger. It’s all about weapons, armor, and skill, as more games should be. HR20 means nothing, and many people who are HR20 are NOT GOOD. They merely had people drag them through all of the quests while they sat there and twiddled their thumbs. That is just not the way to play this game. It’s no fun to carve a wyvern that you didn’t even help kill, so get your shots in. Don’t cower in the corner.

WEAPONS:

Let’s go ahead and move on to weapons. When you purchase weapons, you can upgrade them using various monster parts and metallic ores. There are at least two options (bone and metal) available for each weapon type at the beginning of the game, so naturally people typically buy the most powerful of the two (which usually means bone). The problem that you run into here is that some later bone weapons require parts from ridiculously hard wyverns, so it becomes nearly impossible to upgrade your weapon. It’s kind of a paradox because you need the monster’s parts to upgrade your weapon, but you just can’t beat the monster with your current weapon. Because it is difficult to upgrade bone weapons, my advice to you is START WITH METAL. Yes, I know it has a lower attack value, but you know what? At least I can find ores to upgrade the weapon. It’s as easy as grabbing a few iron pickaxes from the merchant and mining at any one of the many mining points scattered throughout the levels of Monster Hunter. If you need any help finding spots to mine, I’ll be glad to help, but it’s easiest just to look for yourselves (mining points usually look like cracks in the wall and typically have small piles of rubble beneath them). The most underrated aspect of Blademaster weapons is SHARPNESS. If your weapon lacks the appropriate degree of sharpness, chances are your weapon will bounce when you hit hard wyvern skin. This is certainly not a good thing since bouncing results in 1/3 damage being dealt and can also interrupt a combo. The moral of the story is that you want a weapon with a pretty large area of green sharpness. In addition to penetrating wyvern skin, weapons with green sharpness also allow the user to deal something like 125% damage. Yellow sharpness is normal (100% damage) and orange and red sharpness are quite poor (quite a bit less than 100% damage). Keep whetsones and mini-whetstones handy so that you can keep your weapon sharp and ready to go. I personally use the Eager Cleaver as my weapon of choice since it has a long area of green sharpness, it was fairly easy to create (just make the Iron Katana after you make the Iron Sword+ and keep upgrading from there), and it adds lightning elemental damage to my attacks.

Here are a few other things to keep in mind:

(1) Always have a few important items on your person. I personally always carry ten potions or mega potions, five antidotes, ten well-done steaks, a BBQ-Spit (for cooking more meat), five pickaxes, three cool drinks and about ten whestones. I’m prepared for pretty much any quest with these items, though you may find it necessary to exclude some of these and include some others depending on what quest you’re actually going on.

(2) Always watch your stamina bar and make sure the maximum never falls too low. Stamina is important for blocking, rolling, and sprinting, so keep it high.

(3) Be mindful of other players. Especially if you use a Great Sword like me, the upswing move can actually send other players flying, and that’s not good for the team even though the upswing is a powerful move. Use it only when you’re sure other players are out of the way. Similarly, I’ve played with Gunners who shoot me more than the wyvern, which causes my player to stutter a lot. Just be careful of where you’re shooting and try not to die more than once on each quest (3 deaths = instant quest failure).

(4) Have fun, and when you learn how to play, try to help out some of the newer people. It can actually be pretty fun and rewarding, and I certainly don’t mind doing the level 1 quests any time.

(5) When people offer you items, you can accept or decline, but just keep in mind that anything they try to give you will not be all-powerful or give you much of an unfair advantage. This is because items have RARITY VALUES (between 1 and 5) associated with them. Any items that are of level 4 or 5 rarity (i.e. anything that’s decent or good) cannot be traded by players. In addition, NO weapons or armors can be traded, so you can be pretty sure that what you’re getting won’t be spectacular.

(6) Finally, just have fun and ignore the jerks. Monster Hunter has a pretty large community, and there are tons of nice people out there. I’ve met a lot of them. Find a good group of people to play with and learn your weapon type. Mastering a weapon is hard, but keep at it, and you’ll get the hang of it. I hope to see some of you guys out there since it was fun to play with Nikon last night.

killer-elite
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:40 pm
quote : #2
Now I wish I would of picked this game up instead or RE:Outbreak Sad

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:26 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
As far as choosing a bone vs metal weapon...

When we were playing online LunarEclipse I bought a metal sword and then upgraded it to +. It was still weaker than my Bone Blade +. So I saw no reason to swap out my Bone Blade + while mining for ore and hunting.

A good strategy would be to buy and use a Bone Blade to start out with. While you are using the Bone Blade, purchase and start upgrading a Metal Blade. Then switch over to the Metal once it is more powerfull. Then later on in the game when you get better animal parts, switch back to Bone.
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:39 am
quote : #4
Yeah, that is a good point, and that is actually what I did. I stuck with the Bone Blade series until I got to the Dragon Agito and then decided to try out metal weapons, and I was able to upgrade ridiculously quickly (so I was actually able to upgrade past Iron Blade and Iron Blade+ before even using the weapon). But I can't honestly remember how much the Bone Blade costs, and since money is a pretty big issue at the beginning of the game, it might be best to pick up the weaker weapon. I will say that a good defense is much more important than heavy offense at the beginning of the game, so if it's between getting a bone blade and a metal weapon or getting some nice new armor and only a single weapon, I'd be inclined to say go with some armor and a metal weapon. However, if you are willing to spend some time building up a decent pile of money, I have no doubt that your method is superior, Nikon.

On the other hand, I think that if you are NOT using a Great Sword or a Lance, metal is probably a more attractive first choice. Since other weapons have faster attacks and lower base damage, the metal and bone weapons that aren't Great Sword or Lance are often quite comparable at the beginning of the game (since enemies tend to have low HP values).

Good point though, it is true that the Bone Blade+ is SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than the Iron Blade+. (But just wait until you get into the Katana series if you choose to go that route from Iron Blade+ Smile )

Nine
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:09 pm
quote : #5
Hey, great post, very informative. Only thing is I wish I could of read it before I started. I ve already done a couple things that could of been easier for if I knew some of this info. Ive been doing pretty good recently. Now up to HR 4 (should be higher but havent finished quests yet). I decided to collect the Rathalos armor and have the waist and torso so far. The current event quest has been working good, well with the 4 player teams i've been rallying on now! I'll be on in an hour from now, perhaps trying to catch the goldenfish quest as I should be hr5 or more after completing it - I hope. Also I've been goiing to areas that are not entirely full so people can meet up with me. Red Area I seems to be popular for me.

Currently Playing: Monster Hunter, NBA Street 2, PSO, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, Animal Crossing: Wild World,
JimSensei
rank 12
Posted:
Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:11 am
quote : #6
Just wondering, is the GMR Chrome Heart hard to make? From what I saw, I just need to beat the event quest 5 times. It's a diablos and he pwns me most of the time, but I'm hoping to get a party together and tackle it.
Posted:
Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:18 am
quote : #7
What materials does it require? I have seen a lot of people with the GMR Chrome Heart but have actually never attempted to create it. If beating the event quest five times is all it takes, then you've got yourself a Diablos partner. I'd be happy to help if that's our reward.

Nine
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:39 pm
quote : #8
Which event quest - don't they change every two weeks? Right now its los and other - deadly pair or something. dueling pair? - I'll be online off/on today until I go to the movies at 7 ish PT.

Currently Playing: Monster Hunter, NBA Street 2, PSO, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, Animal Crossing: Wild World,
Lunar Eclipse
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:29 pm
quote : #9
Yeah, the event quests change very frequently; however, I forget which one is up right now. But I think you're right Nine, I think it is the Troublesome Pair quest right now. Either way, I need some Rathalos scales and plan to be on for a while after 5 pm EST (which means we may see each other). I'll check around for you when I get on. I don't think you're on Jabber, but you should get on there because I just sit idle on there when I'm sitting around wanting to play online games.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:40 pm
quote : #10
Yes Jabber is the key to getting some online matches going. I recommend anyone who doesn't have jabber, get it immediatly.

http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_site_faq.php#jabber
rank 38
Posted:
Mon May 08, 2006 4:01 pm
quote : #11
What do you guys think about the daggers (Bone Kris, Hunter's Knife)? The Bone Blade seems a tad bit slow, though it's easier to kill enemies. Is the speed advantage really worth the trade-off in power? Or will the katana give me the best of both worlds?

-Mytho
Posted:
Mon May 08, 2006 5:04 pm
quote : #12
If you are killing Velocipray or Kelbi the Kris / Knife works great. Even dual swords can work well against wyrvens...but...

You need to have more defense, and a lot of whetstones since they dull faster, because you are taking more swings.

Working towards a Katana would be a good direction to go in, although I am currently using a Bone Blade iteration, created from Velocipray parts. It is a "Vile Serpent Blade". This is currently working very well for me.
rank 38
Posted:
Mon May 08, 2006 9:01 pm
quote : #13
nikon, if you were in my position, would you even bother with the Iron Sword? I bought one, but if the Bone Blade will serve me fine... that's just money laying around then (which I so desperately need). Any pros/cons going with Bone vs. Iron?

-Mytho
Posted:
Mon May 08, 2006 9:10 pm
quote : #14
Iron you can upgrade much faster because you can mine for ores. With a Bone Blade you need monster parts, and that usually means killing high level monsters. It is good to work on multiple weapons at once.

If you need more money, I can help with that :] There are some good quests for earning lots of cash. At the very very beginning the game takes some time to earn money, but then you will soon start earning lots of money, especially playing online with friends and slaying wyrvens. I get most of my money online playing with 3-4 people. (Usually with Lunar Eclipse)