Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
lozz
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:25 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
my friend's PS2 has started playing up. He out a game in to the system, went to play it and the game froze whilst loading. he tried several other games and it still would not load. I'm not sure about PS2 problems but i've had trouble like this before with my DC, could it be a laser problem? what do you guys use to clean the laser? any help would be much appreciated. thanks, lozz.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:28 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Is this a slim model? or an original model? If it is an original model you could be suffering from DRE's, aka Disc Read Errors. There is a wealth of information available on the internet regarding this. You can fix it, however don't rush into anything so you don't damage your PS2.

Also, I recommend setting the PS2 to a Horizontal Position. Dual Layer Discs could get scratched in the vertical position, and also it is a well known paranoia that having your PS2 vertical will end up creating more downforce on the disc. Meaning that it would be fighting gravity while spinning vertically.
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:42 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
That's interesting, I've never heard of that before...now I think I'll be mving my PS2 back in the horizontal position. I have in the vertical position right now, because it saves space since there it fits right next to my TV on my TV stand. I think I'll try to fit in where the VCR is supposed to be.

lozz
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:06 am
quote : #4
ok he has his vertically down flat and its an original model (not a slimline) so from what you've said it could be a Disc read error? right? should he try putting it horizontally? thanks ,lozz.

Lunar Eclipse
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:30 am
quote : #5
When you say "vertically down flat," that kind of makes it sound like it's horizontally positioned . . .

If it truly is vertical (i.e. the tower-like poisition), laying it flat is not a terrible idea, but I doubt that it will solve the problem. I would suggest doing some searches the net for info about PS2 DRE problems like Nikon said. You will find tons of people who have had the same problem since the original PS2 was certainly not the most robust machine ever designed. Do some searching on Google or visit any website with PS2 FAQs, and I'm pretty sure you'll find the answers you're looking for.

lozz
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:57 am
quote : #6
ah! sorry i put "vertially lying flat" hahaha i soun like a dumbass. it is vertical (not lying down flat dont know why i put that)