Page Location: Home > Archive > Monster Hunter (Archive) > Topic
Lunar Eclipse
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:35 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I've been wanting to make a Bowgun for a while now, so I was scrolling through my options to see what kinds of parts I needed to make a decent gun. I really liked the look of the Injector Cannon since it's fast and has pretty dang good power, not to mention the fact that it can use every type of ammo except Pierce 1, 2, and 3 and Clust 1, 2, and 3. Unfortunately, the Injector Cannon requires a large number of bug parts (Hornetaur Shells, Vespoid Shells, etc.), and I have very few of those parts. This is mainly because bugs tend to explode when you attack them, so it's hard to get a carve off of them. Very infrequently, they will just curl up and die so that you can get a carve, but I decided getting 20 Hornetaur Shells this way just wouldn't work.

So, I upgraded a Hunter's Knife a few times and got a Poison Axe. The poison element in this weapon works pretty frequently, and when a bug dies from poison it never explodes which makes getting insect parts a much more manageable task. Hopefully, using this method I'll be able to create my first Bowgun very soon.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:09 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I think you need to use a weak weapon to get Vespoid's to curl up. If you have too strong of an attack they will break appart. I have noticed that everytime I get one to curl up, it was from a side swipe rather than an over handed swing.

By the way, how is that Poison Axe? I am thinking of making one (costs over 12k in credits...*yelp*)
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:23 pm
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
I think you need to use a weak weapon to get Vespoid's to curl up. If you have too strong of an attack they will break appart. I have noticed that everytime I get one to curl up, it was from a side swipe rather than an over handed swing.

By the way, how is that Poison Axe? I am thinking of making one (costs over 12k in credits...*yelp*)

The Poison Axe is great for getting bug parts which can help you make some great armors and weapons, but I'm not going to lie. I don't use the weapon for much more than that. I have a lot of money to blow, so I don't mind throwing 12k and some materials at a weapon. So if you don't want to get Hornetaur or Vespoid Armor, I wouldn't get it. But make no mistake, poison weapons make getting bug parts ridiculously easy. You can decide how valuable these parts are to you. Also, keep in mind that you will often carve Monster Fluids off of bugs. Monster Fluids sell for 500z each, so the weapon could very well pay for itself.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:36 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hmmm I will have to think about what I am going to do about this. 500z per Monster Fluid sounds like a pretty sweet deal. I wanted to make some twin blades though for fast attacks. Getting to the point where I could make a Poison Axe or dual blades didn't take long.

Do you know how often you can get Monster Fluid? I think I could get a Poison Axe and then use the money I get from killing bugs to get Twin Blades. It would be faster to do this than to do Twin first and then Poison.
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:59 am
quote : #5
You will be getting a lot of Monster Fluids. Both Vespoid and Hornetaur drop Monster Fluid, and I'd say you'll probably carve it about 35% of the time. The rest of the time you'll carve bug parts (like Vespoid Wings, Hornetaur Shells, etc.), which probably don't sell too badly themselves though I'm not too sure how much they're actually worth off the top of my head. When I do bug runs (the 1-star bug quest), it's not uncommon for me to have 15 or so Monster Fluids by the time I finish the quest using my Poison Axe. You'll find that money comes much, much more easily as you expand your arsenal, and a poison weapon is a good step in that direction. You just have to use the weapon wisely. For exmple, if you manage to poison a bug, let it run around until it dies. This ALWAYS yields a carve. On other occasions, you're first or second strike will kill the bug without exploding it, but it's not fool-proof as bugs will still sometimes explode. Also, if the weap dulls, DO NOT sharpen it. While a poison weapon is dull, you have many more chances to poison the enemy before killing it, get my drift? That's how I do it anyways.

By the way, I haven't gotten too much use out of my dual swords. Don't get me wrong, the fast attack is awesome, and you're pretty much unstoppable in rage mode (especially with a Power or Mega Juice), but there are quite a few downsides. First of all, you can't block, which is okay as long as you are pretty good at not getting hit, but I still like to have the option to block just in case. Also, because you strike very quickly, you'll find that your weapon dulls at a ludicrous rate, so if you're going to be using duals to kill wyverns, you'd better have a heck of a lot of whetstones. I really prefer Lances and Great Swords, but the great thing about this game is that there are tons of choices. I know plenty of people who absolutely love duals, but they take a lot of time and resources to master.

Honestly, one good weapon is all that you need. I made it to HR13 with only an Eager Cleaver and a Rampart (which I rarely ever used back then). I know that you like to have a variety of weapons, but I would definitely recommend you have at least one very powerful weapon before experimenting with too many others.

In the end, it's your choice. I'm just letting you know what my preference is and what weapons have benefitted me most in retrospect. Duals are very cool, but they're really a more advanced weapon type that I think you should put off getting until you have the resources to make Power Juices and constantly be buying whetstones (though I guess you could mine for them). I'll just leave it at that.