Page Location: Home > PENDING DELETION > Final Fantasy XI Online > Topic
Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Sun May 14, 2006 3:59 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Around a year ago I allowed a customer to trade in a copy of FF XI at the game store I was working at, just so that I could buy it used. I ended up paying around $50 for it with my employee discount, and I only bought it for the Hard Drive (So I could use HD Loader).

Anyway, the dude said that he had never actually used FF XI, and I figured he was lying, but I didn't care because I wanted the HDD for $50. I reformatted it and had a blast playing games off of the HDD with almost zero load times.

Now I'm interested in playing FF XI, but from what I've been reading, if the previous owner registered the game and got playonline IDs then I am totally borked, since they don't offer replacements. But, I can't seem to find a straight answer on the net, even on Square-Enix's website.

So, if the previous owner installed and played the game, does that leave me SOL? If I really wanted to, could I buy a cheap copy of the PC version and just use those codes?

On the back page of the manual (where you're supposed to write the playonline ID and passwords) it's blank, so I'm hoping he didn't use it... but if he did, what are my options?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun May 14, 2006 4:44 pm
quote : #2
Well, I would try and first see if the guy was telling the truth about using the codes. If you try to go through the process and you get an error then you know the codes you have won't work.

I believe you can use the PC codes on the PS2 version, since you are supposed to be able to play your character on either machine I think?

Search the forums, and narrow it to posts by "Satoshi". He has commented on this before I believe.
rank 11
Posted:
Sun May 14, 2006 5:09 pm
quote : #3
Well, I'm screwing around on PlayOnline right now, but I haven't installed FF XI yet.

I'm assuming since the POL stuff went through without a hitch then I should be good to go. I'll install FF XI and find out.

Edit: Jesus, this is taking forever.

Posted Sun May 14, 2006 8:23 pm:

Hey, good news! The dude wasn't a liar after all. I got a content ID and a free trial month and I'm patching FF XI right now. I'm 41% done with 2:09:00 left to go. Jesus, this is taking forever.

Anyway, once I'm done and I know what server I'm on I'll let you guys know.

Posted Sun May 14, 2006 11:20 pm:

Yep, it worked. I'm a Male Hume Warrior on Shiva, and I'm running around kicking the shit out of giant hornets. This game isn't too bad.

JimSensei
rank 12
Posted:
Mon May 15, 2006 2:33 pm
quote : #4
Just some extra account info;

If you close this account you currently have, you can not use it afterwards. You'll need a whole other game and/or it's code.
If you decide to take a break for a month, when you decide to come back you have to pay for two months of playtime regardless of how many days are left in the month.
Posted:
Mon May 15, 2006 3:20 pm
quote : #5
Yeah, I read about that, it sucks. I guess if you reactivate, they charge you a full thirteen bucks, even if it's on the last day of the month, and if you're deactivated for three months then they gank your PO ID, meaning you'd have to buy a new copy. That sucks.

I dig it so far, if anything it can hold me over until we get Phantasy Star.

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Mon May 15, 2006 6:54 pm
quote : #6
BS. They will NOT "gank" your POL ID! I literally did not play the game for a YEAR, and I could join right back up without paying any extra fees for the downtime and without buying a new gae. I also timed my comeback just right that it was in the middle of the "Return Home to Vana'diel" campaign, meaning I got my characters back after having not played for a year. Your POL ID will never be deleted, I think they say so right in the manual. The only real reason you'll have for buying a new copy is if you want to play on two characters at the same time.

It's good to see people getting into the game, I noticed there was a bit of screenshot activity on here a while back.. It's really cool, just too bad no one plays on the Odin server with me -_-

Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Mon May 15, 2006 7:51 pm
quote : #7
FF XI Software Manual wrote:

CAUTION! ABOUT YOUR MEMBER INFORMATION

Your member information is retained on the server for three months after you access to PlayOnline is disabled. Should you decide to reactivate your PlayOnline account and to use PlayOnline services again during this three month period, simply log into PlayOnline and follow the instructions there. You will be able to use the same account information that was registered at the time you unsubscribed from PlayOnline.

After this three-month period has elapsed, you can no longer use you previous account information. You must create a new account to use PlayOnline again. Please note that this means you must purchase a new copy of the software from a retailer and reregister for PlayOnline.

This is from the written manual that shipped with the game (circa 2003), so maybe that's not how the roll anymore? Anyway, it's still a crappy thing to do to the folks who dropped a hundred bucks on the PS2 version.

JimSensei
rank 12
Posted:
Tue May 16, 2006 4:25 am
quote : #8
If I remember correctly, they changed it to a year or two until your account is removed. It's funny because all the messages tell you this, but if you call them they tell you the policy was changed a long time ago.
Posted:
Tue May 16, 2006 12:52 pm
quote : #9
FFXI Characters ARE deleted after three months. Perhaps that's what it means? Or it could be referring to the process of actually deleting your PlayOnline account, NOT your Final Fantasy XI Content IDs. I NEVER disabled my PlayOnline account, and was therefore able to purchase FFXI Content IDs again without purchasing a new copy of the game. And, as Jim said, I do believe they changed their policy. Just don't delete your PlayOnline account if you ever do decide to quit or can't play for a while.

Again, I didn't even touch Final Fantasy XI or PlayOnline for a year between playing sessions. I canceled my FFXI Content IDs, but NOT my PlayOnline account and I was able to join right back up without buying any more software.

Whatever the matter, don't worry yourself over it. It sounds as if you'll switch over to PSU once it comes out Razz