Page 1 of 1
Lunar Eclipse
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:12 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=24993601

Check out above link. It's a story about how Gamestop (in Hawaii only as of now) is testing out a new method for preordering. It REQUIRES that you put 50 dollars down on a new system and also REQUIRES that this 50 dollars be in the form of USED GAMES (no cash will be accepted). It's an attempt to increase their bottom line since game stores make a ton more money ripping people off on used games and then re-selling them at higher prices than they do by simply selling systems at launch. I can tell you right now they I've never sold a game and that I never will. It's simply not worth it, and I like to collect games for my older systems (PS2, GCN, DC, etc.). If Gamestop ever decides to use this method nationwide, I will never, ever preorder a system from them again. They're basically assuming that people just want to throw away their old consoles and games as soon as the next one comes out, and that's simlpy not the case, at least not in my case. Basically, this seems pretty retarded and feels like a slap in the face to people who like to hang on to they're old systems and games. Opinions?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:15 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I do not like the GameSpot / EB retail chain. They do nothing to benifit the game hobby, and only serve as a wasteland for destroyed games. Games come out of these stores in worse condition than they went in. We have all heard the horror stories of how they open sealed copies of Rez and Disgaea before putting them on the shelf. Their employees often ruin games via mishandling, and will sell off games in extremly poor condition that are missing a case/manual.

I should call up these stores, and ask them if they would like a complimentary lunch. I will show up with bags of my own feces, and inform them that they are getting a special second hand lunch, consumed by me the previous day. This is what it feels like when you get games from these stores. You are not getting a quality product, but instead media-waste.

I am not bothered by the promotion in Hawaii that GameStop / EB are running. What troubles me is the amount of consumer whores out there who will trade in every Playstation 2 product they own, regardless of the promotion. The masses with 0 attention span will trade in all of their stuff. Most people treat the video game hobby as a book store where they just read the back covers. (The mass-trade-in is about to start very soon. Just watch as eBay, GameStop, EB, and every other game source is flooded with current gen products. If possible, take advantage of this situation as best as you can. Their loss is your gain. If you are looking for a copy of MGS2: Substance, this year you will probobly find one at a reasonable price.)

Each generation shift reminds us of how few serious game players there are in the hobby. Once you strip out the non-game playing collectors, encyclopedia snobs, and mass market posers, you are left with a handfull of people.

The Playstation 2 is an amazing console. Me and lanzarlaluna have discussions like this a lot over Jabber. We were talking at one point, wondering how many people on Earth were playing and Appreciating Rayman 2 on the DC at this point in time. It is a unique idea to contemplate.

Seriously, in 1 year how many people will be playing the original Dynasty Warriors 2? Klonoa? ICO? Front Mission 4? or Red Faction? These are all amazing games, but because people are so hung up about the proceedural upgrade of game software and hardware over time, they discredit these games. The average consumer thinks games become obsolete as time passes. This ideology is absurd.
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:07 pm
quote : #3
Some really good points there.

I own somewhere around:
19 PS2 games
24 PS1 games
35 DC games (counting Half-Life and Propellor Arena, but not counting homebrew)
32 Saturn games

7 PSP games
9 Neo GeoPocket Color games

The amount of games I have skews heavily toward older systems. And it's hard to find people that you can talk to about older games, because most of the people shopping at actual gamestores is more interested in ther newest, shiniest thing on the shelves, and the employees may or may not know anything about what you're talking about (generally they don't), but it doesn't matter because they're spending all of their time trying to get you to preorder GameX 2007.

Finding someone who knows about Ridge Racer: Turbo Mode, awesome strategies for Front Mission 4, online blastfests on Q3 DC, Daytona USA Vs. Daytona USA CCE, or your favorite part in TimeSplitters 2 is pretty much impossible at a regular gamestore. Most stores today will hire an attractive girl that knows very little about games than a ugly unshaven greasy haird nerd who has an encyclopedic knowledge simply because the girl will sell more. It doesn't matter to them what the "hardcore" gamers think, because they are an incredible minority compared to people coming in looking for the newest EA game.

It's no surprise I've been buying the majority of my games online lately.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:18 pm
quote : #4
I currently own 112 Playstation 2 video games. I still am having trouble coming to grips with my Playstation 2 collection. It is inching close to surpassing my DC collection (which is at 123 games).

I hope that down the road the Playstation 2 and GameCube Lounges here at the site will become half as talkative as the Dreamcast Lounge.

It would be cool to get more Playstation 2 focused discussions going. However I realise that we are in the process of a transition phase. People will be leaving the site for other consoles soon. So in 6-8 months we will see who stands the test of time, and still appreciates the Playstation 2.

Odds are you will still see me here talking about my high score progress in R-Type or looking to play some Star Wars Battlefront online.

Hmm I wonder where my PS2 collection will be in 8 months... 200 games? That would be crazy.

Just thinking about trading in my PS2 collection for a NextGeneration console, gives me the willies (is that how it's spelled?).
rank 27
Posted:
Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:19 pm
quote : #5
lol at one point I was just buying games for my sega playing them once then going out, buying more playing those once and repeatin the process but my collection was growinnnn I think I had about 60 sega games before I had to give it....my fuckinggggg dreamcast......AND my damn super nes to my nephew! Which drove me nuts since I straight up TREASURED my copies of Grandia 2 and Jet Grind Radio and Resident E:CV, and PSO. But uhhh errrr to get back on subject I have no prob with EBgames, they sell me games in good condition and if they aren't welp, that s what returns/exchanges are for *thinks to self* Im gettting that DC back first chance I get.
Posted:
Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:18 pm
quote : #6
That's part of the reason i'm in no hurry to upgrade, all summer long i've been finding games I want at reduced prices.

as for trading in games i've only done that twice
1: kid chameleon, cliffhanger, Awesome Possum for Shinobi III
2: 10 Genesis games for $100.00 off of a Saturn.
Saigaia, Super Hang On, Golden Axe, Super Monaco GP, Air Buster, 4 others that I wish I did'nt part with.
after that last deal I decided I really don't want to part with anything in my collection again , I just have this fear i'll make up in the middle of the night with the need to play a game I no longer own.
sad but true.
Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:36 pm
quote : #7
oh yea I was reall heavy into trading back then because this place I went to had this trade 2 get 1 free deal and of all the games I mis trading away the most super wrestlmania ranks in at the top.Razor Ramon was my dude!