Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Sun May 21, 2006 4:26 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Anyone play this? this game WILL make you pull your hair out.You put hours of play time in it but the second you jack up and die you have to either start alll over or continue with basically nothing you had in the first place and the save points are milllles inbetween
Posted:
Sun May 21, 2006 4:34 pm
quote : #2
I always thought the Breath of Fire series was relegated to the Game Boy Advance platform. However after further investigation I was sorely mistaken. I checked out some screenshots of this game, and it looks pretty cool. I like the graphical style. Is this game turn based or real-time?

By start all over, do you mean, start over from the beginning of an area/mission? or start over completely?
rank 27
Posted:
Sun May 21, 2006 8:27 pm
quote : #3
mmm its sort of a mix of turn based and real time because its got that grandia 2 setup in that you can see the enemies on the map and when you hit them it goes into turn based combat and when i say start over i mean commmpletly ,its not as bad though because you retain your learned skills,currently equipped weapons, and some of your cash and items but its still a major cheap shot since you start at level one all over again and oh yea you can go into dragon form to but the time you can be in it is limited, stay in it to long and this counter will hit 100% and you'll die ultimately having to restart again.It seems as though im blastin this game but for real its meeega fun and i aint had this much fun wita rpg since grandia 2,but its just got a few annoying features in it
Posted:
Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:22 pm
quote : #4
Got this game at Circuit City brand new about a week ago. Was shocked to see the game, let alone sealed. One of the most unconventional JRPGs I've played. I haven't had to restart yet, though Captain Violet gave me a little trouble. Great game though. I expected as much from the team behind Dead Rising (please don't discuss this game, I am only making a reference). How far were you able to make it Gforce?

nikon, I implore you to buy this game if you haven't already. No knowledge of the previous BoF games is necessary, even though there are a few allusions to them. The battle system is sublime, no random encounters. You can lay traps a la Monster Hunter and inflict damage before the battle or just distract them as you pass by. The game's graphics are solid and detailed, running at a buttery smooth 60 FPS. The water effect in particular is stunning, especially considering the game's age.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:23 pm
quote : #5
I have this game :] I just havn't started playing it yet.
rank 38
Posted:
Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:26 pm
quote : #6
Figured you already had it. Just wanted to confirm that the game is indeed awesome.

Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:47 pm
quote : #7
TheMytho wrote:
Got this game at Circuit City brand new about a week ago. Was shocked to see the game, let alone sealed. One of the most unconventional JRPGs I've played. I haven't had to restart yet, though Captain Violet gave me a little trouble. Great game though. I expected as much from the team behind Dead Rising (please don't discuss this game, I am only making a reference). How far were you able to make it Gforce?

nikon, I implore you to buy this game if you haven't already. No knowledge of the previous BoF games is necessary, even though there are a few allusions to them. The battle system is sublime, no random encounters. You can lay traps a la Monster Hunter and inflict damage before the battle or just distract them as you pass by. The game's graphics are solid and detailed, running at a buttery smooth 60 FPS. The water effect in particular is stunning, especially considering the game's age.

I know I made it past Violet but I can't quite remember when I fucked up though. I think it was after this area that dealt with ice and a very exhausting boss battle. I still say this game is fun as hell and I've pondered gettting back to it from time to time. That restart feature just feels like a wife who stabs you in the back after 15 years of marriage though......
Posted:
Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:17 pm
quote : #8
I've made it to the Lifeline sector. The boss, a revamped Bosch (won't spoil what happened), trounced me the first time. Ended up setting me back about an hour and a half. Hope the second go around will result in success.

Gforce, make sure you find Ryu's Discharge skill. It should prove to be invaluable, as the skill transfers all the damage done to Ryu onto his opponent. You can find the skill in the side-quest 'Nina's Medicine'.

Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:40 pm
quote : #9
TheMytho wrote:
I've made it to the Lifeline sector. The boss, a revamped Bosch (won't spoil what happened), trounced me the first time. Ended up setting me back about an hour and a half. Hope the second go around will result in success.

Gforce, make sure you find Ryu's Discharge skill. It should prove to be invaluable, as the skill transfers all the damage done to Ryu onto his opponent. You can find the skill in the side-quest 'Nina's Medicine'.

Damn, you did get far dude. I know I never got to any sidequests.
Posted:
Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:35 pm
quote : #10
Nearing the end of the game now. I have made it to the closest dungeon to the surface. Already fought one regent and didn't have a lot of trouble. I'm only around 21% on my D-Counter, so I'm thinking about powering my way through the remaining regents.

Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:38 pm
quote : #11
Gforce wrote:
mmm its sort of a mix of turn based and real time because its got that grandia 2 setup in that you can see the enemies on the map and when you hit them it goes into turn based combat and when i say start over i mean commmpletly ,its not as bad though because you retain your learned skills,currently equipped weapons, and some of your cash and items but its still a major cheap shot since you start at level one all over again and oh yea you can go into dragon form to but the time you can be in it is limited, stay in it to long and this counter will hit 100% and you'll die ultimately having to restart again.It seems as though im blastin this game but for real its meeega fun and i aint had this much fun wita rpg since grandia 2,but its just got a few annoying features in it

Wow! College sure taught me alot about how to write.... Did you ever finish the game Mytho? I lost the memory card with the original save data, so I'd have to start over without any skills. That's if I can ever work up the willpower to do it again...
Posted:
Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:55 pm
quote : #12
I completed the game back in January. The ending was a little predictable, but was actually very gratifying. I didn't save my game after I had beaten it so I could grind the last boss and finish the Kokon Horay.

Manji
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:22 am
quote : #13
Type: NTSC-J
i never completed dragon quarter because of the SOL system. this is capcom's own name for it... the scenario overlay. or, as i also call it, the sh** outta luck system. :p since you really had no choice but to start over at least once or twice. plus, you were kind of required to if you wanted to see the story expand, as it gave you more cutscenes to watch.

overall, good game.

Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:34 pm
quote : #14
TheMytho wrote:

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. I wish I remembered you writing this earlier.... I managed to find the memory card with my old save in the bottom of my couch and I was able to port the save to a new card with Codebreaker. In addition, I am at Lifeline now but I TOTALLY skipped that side-quest on accident because I spoke to more people than I should have in that area. Ugh, my D-counter is at about 25% right now and I'm hoping I can make it without this skill...
Posted:
Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:39 pm
quote : #15
My head is absolutely frazzled from having to play 3-4 hours straight twice in a two day period, but I think it was all worth it. I have FINALLY beaten this game. If anybody out there has still not tried this game, I really urge you to give this highly difficult and exhaustive expierience of a game a shot.

Also, I wanted to give this game 3/5 stars in the beginning, but since I've beaten it, I think I'd give it 4/5. It loses a star because the story just got to convulted about 60% through.