lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon May 22, 2006 1:54 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
My brother and I were playing Star Wars Battlefront late at night as usual. I was having some controller problems. As it turns out, YET AGAIN the Dual Shock 2 slowly starts to break down. Not the physical functionality of it, but the stupid pressure sensitive buttons flat out stop responding. The same exact thing happened with my last PS2 controller. I wish I could use a Dual Shock 1, but the game doesn't support it. Anyways so I drag out my "Phoenix Revolution" controller. Which is a third party PS2 controller. This thing is kind of beefy, and it's trademark concept is that you can swap out the pods on the controller to setup whatever configuration you want. I can actually move analog sticks around.

Ok so, we are on Hoth, and we are the Rebels. There are no other human players in the game except us. We are trying to take out AT-ST's. My brother (Treey) is in the back seat with the tow cable gun, and I am the Pilot. The Phoenix Rev controller is sort of finicky. The pods sometimes arn't seated right, so they can malfunction. So it takes me a few minutes to get the things working right. Well the D-Pad keeps hitting down. So my character is saying over and over "Hold on...Hold on...Hold on...Hold on...". Meanwhile we are in the process of trying to take down an AT-AT. The beefy controller has me flying around like a maniac. My brother is wondering what the hell I am doing (since he is in the back seat).

In the process me brother accidently jetisons from the speeder and falls to his death. So I fly back to Echo Base to get him as he respawns. I landed the craft a bit funny, and got out. We hop into another speeder, and then are ready for take off. I say to my brother "Ok let's see if I can get us out of here with this drunk controller". I start to accelerate and aim to fly out of the hangar. Then I somehow vear off to the right and BOOM!!! *lordnikon died, treey died*

At the moment my brother and I are laughing histarically. Tears are nearly coming out of our eyes, and then we respawn at the base, only to find the speeder I had "landed a bit funny" earlier to be sitting ON TOP of the Millenium Falcon. Ok so after we cought our breath and stopped laughing so hard. Things got serious...

We look at the score, only to realise it is around 80-20. The Empire has captured all of the command posts but 2. Then after a few more minutes the score drops very fast and we suddenly find ourselves with the following spread:

Empire: 64
Rebels: 1

So basically there are no more bots left on the Rebels. It is just myself and my brother. That is it. We somehow think we can win this. I am a sniper, and my brother is a gunner. We used a speeder to fly out and take out AT-ST's. When the Empire would capture all but 1 spawn point, we would rush back to Echo base, and re-capture the spawn point. Usually there would be 1 or 2 bots in that complex, but they would be down at the other spawn point down the hall. So we could land and capture that point and then move down the hall to take out the few Empire soldiers.

I have never had a really good use for the Recon Droid until this round. I was the sniper and I couldn't change my character remember, since we were down to our last lives. So I would use the Recon Droid to zip around corners to see if the coast is clear while Treey watched my back. This worked great! And in 2 instances it saved us from certain death. By capturing up to 2 spawn points at a time and flying out with the speeder, we were able to slowly cut down the enemies defenses.

Then, we find ourselves back at Echo Base. A jet trooper swoops into the Hanger. I take him out with the sniper rifle, and meanwhile an empire gunner is coming around the left side. My brother flanks around me and starts firing screaming that he saw someone else as well. YES there was someone else! A pilot class empire soldier is behind the speeder. I take him out and move in for the spawn point. We plan to get into a speeder, but the nearest one is facing the Millenium Falcon. I didn't want to crash, so I say to go over to the other speeder and start running. My brother comes in behind me and then there is a wave of soldiers coming into the Hanger. A Rocket Launcher guy, pilot, gunner, dark troopers. They keep coming in waves of 2 or 4. We probobly got off about 10-12 kills here. We are panicing and screaming the entire time letting each other know where the fire is coming from. Suddenly I realise I am out of ammunition for the sniper rifle. I am screaming at my brother to get into a speeder. He is taking significant damage from a gunner coming into the Hangar. "He's too close!!!", he yells. I pull out my blaster and start firing off single shots in a desperate attempt to find an ammunitions droid. I can't find it!!!! My brother dies, and then suddenly I die as well.

1792 Seconds (29m 87s)

That is how long we were alive.

We cut the Empire's forces down from 64 to 28.

This was one of the most emotionally charged games I have ever played on Star Wars Battlefront. We ended up in the next round on Mos Eisley, ill prepared to start playing a new round because our minds were still on Hoth. It was all we could think about. Our eyes, dazed, scanned across the screen looking for a speeder that wasn't there. It took about 5 more minutes for it to set in that it was over. We had lost Echo Base to the Empire. Atleast in the process, outmanned and outgunned, we were able to take 36 of them with us before they shot us down.

Best swbf match I have ever played.
rank 21
Posted:
Mon May 22, 2006 1:07 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Oh man, sounds intense! Makes me want to get back into the game. Man, reading that was a rush in itself! At least you showed the Empire that the Rebels won't go down without a fight!

Neo-Spacian
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:30 pm
quote : #3
WOW. If I was in your brothers position I would've given up right then and there.
Posted:
Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:02 pm
quote : #4
Epic.

'nuff said.