Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:04 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
On October 1st, 2006 the Genki developed Steel Lancer Arena International will be going offline. SLAI has no LAN capabilities, so the game will be going offline permanently. SLAI was a unique title because it actually allowed for cross-region gameplay between Japan, Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Canada, and the United States. It has a suite of online features such as an in-game message box, clan support, and a variety of chat locations to use your USB Keyboard. Unfortunately because this game was Japanese developed, it follows the trend that many online games have in Japan: they are online for a very brief time.

I plan to log screenshots of the entire SLAI online experience. On top of this I will also log detailed packets just in case anyone with the technical skill would want to write a new server.

Here is the detailed message off of the SLAI official website:

--

“We would like to inform you that we will end "PS2 STEEL LANCER ARENA INTERNATIONAL (S.L.A.I)" online service on Monday October 1, 2006 at 6pm(PST).

We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere appreciation for your continued support for this title.
You can enjoy the online play of this game until the service is ended.
Thank you very much.”

--

On a side note, I am not as disappointed about SLAI going offline as I should be. The PS2 has 3 online forever Armored Core titles with Nexus, Nine Breaker and Last Raven. We can get our futuristic mech sessions going with any of these titles.
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:17 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Shocked Damn!was this game even online 6 months?????
Posted:
Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:13 pm
quote : #3
The game was online for about a year.

The main problem with this game was the lack of people playing online. Even if you did find a game, you'd more then likely run into hardcore players who have mechs that would just destroy you within seconds. You really had to put alot of time in the single-player to get something along their level, and even if you did, you'd still have to face the challenge of finding someone. But I thought the game was amazingly deep. Very hard to get into, in my opinion, but it had depth and it stands as the only mech game I really enjoyed.