Page Location: Home > Archive > Monster Hunter (Archive) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:07 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
If I created a poison axe, would it poison a wyrven and slowly drain his health? Or do you have to poison meat to do this?
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:56 pm
quote : #2
It'll do just what you'd like it to do. It'll poison the wyvern. It's a great element and can help you out a ton, but keep in mind that the poison "hold" duration is different for different wyverns so test it out on different wyverns.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:03 pm
quote : #3
Oh man that is awesome. I need to make one of these next time I go online. I think I have the materials to make one. I have abouty 16000z at the moment which should cover the 12g+ cost of making one. Can you grow the axe higher than just a poison axe? Like a super poison axe?
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:08 am
quote : #4
You can make a Poison Battleaxe out of the Poison Axe. It gives you a lot more green area to work with and is slightly more powerful that the Poison Axe. The downside: it's an extra 40,000z or so eventhough the materials aren't tough to find.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:39 pm
quote : #5
I created a Poison Battleaxe! It worked good against the KutKu. I was able to get him poisoned a few times. I am still learning to master its combos though. It seems harder to combo with than a sword.
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:59 pm
quote : #6
The Great Sword is the only weapon with which you can continuously combo, so it is certianly tougher to combo appropriately with any other weapon type. I guess the Sword and Shield weapon type also attacks more rapidly, so it's tougher to get the combo button presses in.

There is one Great Sword (the Chrome Razor) that has the poison attribute, but I definitely don't have it yet since it's tough to get.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:28 pm
quote : #7
Does the special ability, like the Poison Attribute, come out randomly? Or is it innitiated by a specifical control press?
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:22 pm
quote : #8
The base elements (Lightning, Fire, Dragon, and Water) affect enemies every time you hit and just give a damage bonus based on their elemental weaknesses and the strength of the weapon's attribute. The secondary elements (Poison, Stun, and Sleep) all occur randomly (regardless of what combo you use), but the damage inflicted upon the wyvern once it is poisoned depends on the strength of the weapon's poison attribute. In addition, the duration of the "hold" that each of the secondary elements has on a wyvern depends on the wyvern. Some enemies are immune to certain secondary and base elements.

The strange thing is that there is nowhere where you can actually see your weapon's attribute strength in the game. You have to check a guide.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:54 am
quote : #9
I am assuming Gypceros is very resistant to poison? (Same with Rathian maybe?)
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:58 pm
quote : #10
Right-o.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:56 pm
quote : #11
I am so perceptive! Smile

What elemental is most vulnurable to Poison? Water?
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:14 pm
quote : #12
Secondary Elements and Primary Elements are completely different, so Poison and water are unrelated. The Primary Elements are Dragon, Water, Lightning, and Fire. Water and Lightning are the only two real opposites here. The secondary elements are Poison, Stun, and Sleep. There are reall no "opposites" among these three, but it's best not to use an element that the wyvern possesses. So don't use Poison on Gravios because it won't stay in his system for very long.

Note that with Primary Elements, if a creature is weak to a particular element, weapons with that element will deal more raw damage. With Secondary Elements, the effect of the weapon lasts longer (i.e. stunned longer, poisoned longer), but the base damage of the weapon remains the same regardless of the enemy.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:29 pm
quote : #13
Ok so, the following all have poison attributes:

Gypceros
Rathian
Basarios
Gravios

That is most of the Wyrvens!!!! What is a Poison weapon really good on? Diablos? Cephladrome? I know it is good on Kut-Ku, but it has to be more helpfull than that.
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:16 am
quote : #14
Actually, I think that Gravios is quite weak to Poison despite the fact that it's just a grown up Basarios. Also, it's great against Diablos since he tends to hang out underground a lot. Similarly, Khezu likes to hang out on cave ceilings for a long ass time, so the poison hold is nice since you can at least be dealing some vicarious damage to him while he's out of reach.

And really, despite the fact that some have resistances, the poison will still do damage unless the creature is completely immune, the effect just won't stick around as long. Overall, it's a good element because it does damage to the creatures while they're out of your immediate reach.