Page Location: Home > Archive > Monster Hunter (Archive) > Topic
OmegaChrono
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:27 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I've been really thinking about getting monster hunter, but from what I hear its a bit hard to find in stores which I prefer over buying online. I dont have a keyboard yet, so I'll have to buy one too. I've been thinking though, Monster Hunter has been out for awhile now, so I'm not too sure how much longer it'll be online. Or if there'll still be a way to play multiplayer if/when it does. Might it be a better to just wait for the sequel? or Monster Hunter G? (if it ever comes out here)

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:31 pm
quote : #2
Monster Hunter G was an expansion / upgrade for Monster Hunter in Japan, and was released in Korea as well. Monster Hunter G will not be coming out in North America or PAL regions. If anything we would get Monster Hunter 2. However, capcom has made NO announcements about the release of Monster Hunter 2 outside of Japan yet. There are a ton of people at the Monster Hunter forums at capcom.com who are sending letters to Capcom USA persuading them to get the game released here. Capcom would be making a big mistake not releasing the game in North America and PAL regions. Check out the Capcom community forums, and see which forum has the most activity there...yep...Monster Hunter. It has over 17 thousand posts and dwarfs all of the other discussion areas there.

There is a way to still play multiplayer when and if Monster Hunter ever goes offline. However, in order to play Monster Hunter in such a fashion you will have to get the PSP version, which has local wireless play (but no online). So the PSP version is like a fallback for playing Monster Hunter multiplayer should it get terminated.

Yes, Monster Hunter has been out for a while now, however the game is not in danger of going offline. There are over 600 people online at any given time of the day.

I would recommend not buying games based on the potential release of a sequal or predicting when it would go offline. The fact remains that every game will eventually have its online terminated, and the player counts will eventually trickle down to the diehard few because of new games coming out. This is inevitable, and trying to buy games to keep up with the surge of immediate activity after a games release is a rat race. If a game interests you, buy it, and enjoy it. Try to find others that are also interested in the game. If you end up waiting for Monster Hunter 2, you are in the same position then as you are now because Monster Hunter 3 would be coming out after that for next gen systems.

I would buy Monster Hunter now, and just enjoy it for what it is. When you buy it, you will be kicking yourself that you didn't buy it sooner.
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:55 pm
quote : #3
I have been looking for it too. If I find it in a store I will buy it.

OmegaChrono
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:06 am
quote : #4
Oh well the reason I was considering waiting for Monster Hunter 2 was just incase Monster Hunter 1 was going down anytime soon. But since thats not the case I intend to buy it if I ever come across it. I'm interested on playing it on PSP too, but I dont intend to buy a PSP for the sole purpose of playing Monster Hunter becasue, not all that many PSP games interest me that much. (I'm actually more interested in DS Lite, but thats another story.) Though I've been wondering, is it possible to chat without a keyboard? and if so how does it work well enough to get by online?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:16 am
quote : #5
Yes you can chat without a keyboard in Monster Hunter. The game has a good onscreen keyboard setup. It is in ABCD mode rather than Qwerty though. You might be able to switch it to qwerty but I don't think you can I would have to double check. You can use preset phrases as well. It is a lot like the virtual keyboard in PSO.
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:56 am
quote : #6
I suppose I cant get by with that, now it's just a matter of finding one across at a store. I think I might just try buying it online if I get too impatient. Either way hopefully I'll be getting on soon.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:21 am
quote : #7
OmegaChrono wrote:
I suppose I cant get by with that

Can or Can't?

OmegaChrono wrote:
now it's just a matter of finding one across at a store. I think I might just try buying it online if I get too impatient. Either way hopefully I'll be getting on soon.

Do you mean the game? or a keyboard?

(btw you can use any USB compatible keyboard with the PS2)
rank 38
Posted:
Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:02 pm
quote : #8
If it's a keyboard you are interested in, check EB Games. They have the mini-USB Logitech keyboard on sale for $10 (nikon can vouch for it's quality).

-Mytho
Posted:
Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:29 pm
quote : #9
lordnikon wrote:
OmegaChrono wrote:
I suppose I cant get by with that

Can or Can't?

Ohh, I meant can (I tend to make a lot mistakes when I type if dont proof read it.)

lordnikon wrote:
OmegaChrono wrote:
now it's just a matter of finding one across at a store. I think I might just try buying it online if I get too impatient. Either way hopefully I'll be getting on soon.

Do you mean the game? or a keyboard?

(btw you can use any USB compatible keyboard with the PS2)

I meant the game, but as for the keyboard I dont have a usb keyboard I guess I might look for a ps/2 to usb converter or something, but I plan on buying a keyboard in the future so I wont have to go to the hassle of having to move my keyboard back and forth. (my grammar isnt all that great either)

Edit: I took lordnikon's advice and just bought it off of Amazon.com on expedited shipping Very Happy

Midgaardsorm
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:46 pm
quote : #10
Type: NTSC-J
I know it's a little late but nevertheless I'm considering getting a Monster Hunter game or two (or three...)
I'll be getting my games from Japan. The non Japanese NTSC-J community needs more players online.
But before I buy anything I thought it would be a good idea to ask Nikon for a little info...

1) I know Monster Hunter G is an expansion but do I need the original as well? What's the difference between them anyway?
2) MH and MHG uses different servers online right?
3) I don't think you're playing the Japanese version of the first game but do you know if there are many online players still around (on the KDDI servers)?
4) Have you tried MH2 online yet? What about player density there?

If you don't say somthing that will drastically change my mind I'll probably get MHG and MH2. MHG just came out as a TheBest title. I hope I get the time to buy them before Christmas along with FFXI all-in-one (release November 2007) and some other gems as I'm going to Japan in December... If you still have the KDDI account when I get up and running we could do a few missions on MH2.

Cheers

JimSensei
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:20 am
quote : #11
Quote:
1) I know Monster Hunter G is an expansion but do I need the original as well? What's the difference between them anyway?

Nope. MHG is independent and can be played alone without MH1.

Quote:
2) MH and MHG uses different servers online right?

Considering there are a lot of new weapons, armor and content I'd have to say yes. It's not a simple update like PSO v2 as a lot of system changes were made to the lobby and gameplay. Also considering that you have to register each game individually under your KDDI tag, I highly doubt the servers for MH1 and MHG are linked besides the connection to KDDI itself.

Quote:
3) I don't think you're playing the Japanese version of the first game but do you know if there are many online players still around (on the KDDI servers)?

I spoke to a guy from GameFaqs a while back. He was one of the first western gamers to get on KDDI. According to him, MH1 died when MHG hit. When MH2 first came out the servers crashed, and there was only about a couple hundred people on G just because they couldn't play MH2. I imagine with all the people on MH2, there is maybe a few people around MHG but not a whole lot. I remember he had pointed out that this was kind of a trend, as when newer games came out the previous would die quick. Happened to Biohazard and Neo Geo BC when File 2 and KoF XI came out.

Quote:
4) Have you tried MH2 online yet? What about player density there?

I've seen about two thousand before last fall. Last time I checked this past summer, it was about 1,000 during Japanese peak time.
Posted:
Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:19 am
quote : #12
Midgaardsorm, just realise that very few people here have a KDDI account, and Monster Hunter is a very time intensive game. I own quite a few Monster Hunter games. However my focus is on the US version, with limited time spent with Monster Hunter 2 on PS2.

I am probobly the only person here that will have a KDDI account regularly. I stay subscribed at all times. So if you want to play some Monster Hunter 2 with me, we could do this. However I have not booted it up in quite sometime and was unable to figure out many of the menu's. Never the less I am indeed online with it and can sign in.

I don't think there will ever be a huge swell in KDDI subscribers here. Its just too much of a monetary investment for most, and acquiring the hardware to get online is troublesome.

Maybe we could get 1 or 2 other people playing KDDI games, but I don't think they will stay subscribed for long because as soon as a month passes and they arn't playing, they will cancel their account because the 7.25 every 1.5 months is far too much money for most to "think" about. I say this because people could easily afford to stay subscribed, but just the mental idea of getting charged 7 dollars on a regular basis makes it feel like they could save that money towards something else. When in reality it would most likely get wasted on a meal at a fast food restaurant.

In any event, I stay subscribed, so we could play some Monster Hunter 2 together some. Just realise that I run this site, and play many many games online. So I can't stop everything and play 3 hours a day non-stop for months on end. I spread my time out across multiple online games, and quite often am playing non-online games or working on administrative duties here at the site.
rank 12
Posted:
Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:50 pm
quote : #13
My fee and a couple of others were increasing. It started at 2 dollars for me and a bud, 5 for another. A month later it increased to 6, then 9. My friends noticed the increase, too. We all canceled after that.