Page Location: Home > PENDING DELETION > Final Fantasy XI Online > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:09 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I bought an official PS2 HDD with FFXI. I scored it at Toys R Us for 39.98. I figured I might as well get it now, since it was the last one. I wasn't planning on being able to "cruise" around to multiple Toys R Us's anytime in the near future. You can't get it this cheap anywhere else ( I doubt anyone is selling this for 29.99). So this is the best deal one could get on this device.

I got it because I wanted it as a collectors item, and because I wanted to experiment with loading PS2 games onto the HDD officially. It sure will come in handy for Resident Evil Outbreak File 1 & 2 when I get them.

Here is the catch. The HD's box seal was broken. At first I thought nothing of it, but then it dawned on me when I got home later in the evening. Someone probobly broke the seal in order to snag the serial numbers.

So, what can I do? Can I even get my free month trial? After a bit of thinking I am not that bummed out about it, since I never intended to actually PLAY final fantasy xi online for a long duration. I just wanted to use up the month trial for fun. I am heard there are complications if the serial sturn up used already. Am I totally screwed? What are my options.

-Thanks
rank 24
Posted:
Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:09 pm
quote : #2
Have you tried the codes at all? (That is, unless you're planning on holding off on the trial until sometime in the future.) They could still be working for whatever reason. It wouldn't hurt to try, even if the seal was broken.

If anything, I could probably give you the codes from my HDD w/ FFXI, since I have no need for them. I have no immediate way to test them out or anything, but it didn't look to me like the box was tampered with when I bought it (from a Toys'R'Us like you did) so they should still be valid. LMK so I can scour up the manuals.
Posted:
Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:08 am
quote : #3
I am not going to be trying out my free month right away. I wanted to be able to put some time into it. At the moment I have no time, and any online RPG playing with either be on GameCube with PSO or on PS2 with Monster Hunter. Plus with october around the bend on PSO, I will be playing that entire month.

So I am a ways off from taking FFXI for a spin.

Is it possible to contact PlayOnline for a new set of codes? Because eventually when I have a steady job with regular income, I could pay the monthly fee on a regular basis to kick the game around online from time to time. It isn't a game I am planning to play on a regular basis, but just an alterntive to play every month or so.
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:52 am
quote : #4
PlayOnline refuses to give out new codes for any reason. According to them, your only recourse if the codes are lost or stolen is to buy a new copy of the software.

If I remember right, the last page of the FFXI manual has a perforated sheet with the codes on them, so if someone was opening it just to snag the codes, they probably would have snagged that as well. If the sheet is still there, there is a pretty good chance that no one ganked your codes.

One thing on FFXI, though, is that it seemed to me back when I played that there were either new people who played for a while and then quit, or people who played hardcore and didn't have time for low level players. There didn't seem to be any sort of "casual players" like other MMOs. Unless you know people already, prepare to do quite a bit of soloing until people think that they can gain more XP from having you in their party (which doesn't really happen on a regular basis until level 30, depending on your job). That's how it was on my server, anyway.

Also, Final Fantasy XI and the PlayOnline launcher take up about nine gigs combined. And since the Final Fantasy bundles have the FFXI executable from 2003, the update the first time you play will take hours. Most of that time it's unnatended, so you can do some work or play a handheld or something while you're waiting.

Congrats on scoring the HDD though! Faster loading times and never having to buy another PS2 memory card await you.

JimSensei
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:43 am
quote : #5
If your codes are already taken, then you'll need to purchase the game again. I bought a PC copy and I was able to us the codes from it.