Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:44 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Phantasy Star Universe is currently released in Japan, however it has gotten off to a rocky start. Depending on how you look at it, this is actually a good thing. At the beginning of the month Sega performed a rollback for character data in order to patch an exploit which could have been used to dupe mesata and items. Sega stated that the problem was critical, and could create unrecoverable problems if left alone. If you have been a Phantasy Star Online player on other platforms, you know all about PSO’s sordid past with cheating and security exploits. Phantasy Star Online has always been plagued with item duplication, player induced character corruption, stealing items, and all sorts of cheating. Sega has done little in the past to solve such problems. On the GameCube they implemented a double save function, however this ended up corrupting more legit players than it prevented duping.

Sega’s efforts on the previous online phantasy star titles to prevent cheating were downright sad. They left consumers to fend for themselves online, forcing legit users to play in secret games ever fearful of some 14 year old with action replay looking to corrupt someone’s character.

Sega had previously said that “Online cheating will simply be impossible”. It looks like they are coming through on their promise. Sega has currently shutdown the servers for PSU in Japan, and will be re-opening them on the 6th. The Guardian License system will be shutdown until October, and when users sign up again for their monthly payment plan they will get a free 30-days extension. Sega has currently shutdown the servers for PSU in Japan, and will be re-opening them on the 6th. The Guardian License system will be shutdown until October, and when users sign up again for their monthly payment plan they will get a free 30-days extension. Users playing online during the month of September will be guinea pigs and may be forced endure character rollbacks if a new security exploit is found.

It looks as if Sega is taking cheating very seriously. For future PSU players, this is very promising news.
rank 27
Posted:
Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:26 pm
quote : #2
Cool Cool lol reading the title like ,"temporarily shut down? and how is this good again?" ahhhhhh I can't wait for this shit to come out
Posted:
Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:18 pm
quote : #3
This is awesome. It sucks fopr the Japanese players who have to recreate their characters after the rollbacks, but it's worth it to kill the glitches (including the "body snatcher" glitch that would sometimes cause a player to log in as another player's character Confused ).

I won't be able to pick the game up at launch unless my PSP sells, but if I can, it's definitely going to be a buy for me. And if push comes to shove, we can always play in OC-only games online to prevent being hacked.