Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:18 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
After recently discovering that Japanese PSU servers would be isolated, many feared that PAL region servers would suffer the same fate. It has been announced by Clumsyorchid, an admin at the PC Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst forums, that the servers for Phantasy Star Universe in North America and PAL Territories will be linked. For the first time Playstation 2 RPG fans from North America and Europe will meet up online. So far every online RPG released in North America and Europe has been isolated. (Although there is 1 wildcard: Gauntlet Seven Sorrows remains untested as of this writing.) This is great news for Phantasy Star Universe, and a historic moment for Playstation 2 online gaming.

Last edited by lordnikon on Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:53 pm
quote : #2
yea thats cool. But we still gotta deal with pc players Rolling Eyes call me old fashioned but I still don't like playing with pc players since I feel they hack more often

Know what? If they could do it.... I'd like to play with 360 players
Posted:
Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:46 pm
quote : #3
Oh Joy!
Its always good to have more people to play with Wink
gRiMgRaVy014
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:34 pm
quote : #4
Well thats good news, I was kinda doubting how big PSU would be if every territory was seperated from themselves.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:53 am
quote : #5
PSU would still have a decent player population because of the cross-platform compatibility between PS2 and PC users. From the Playstation 2 perspective, I think it is less about player population and more about cross-region play. This is the FIRST time North American and PAL players will be meeting up online via an RPG on Playstation 2 hardware. I think this is insane for it to be happening in 2006. Everquest Online Adventures was not even cross-region and that was an "MMO" which states on the box you can play with players all over the world. Being unable to meet up with friends over seas on a network Phantasy Star Title would be a huge loss. I am so used to playing with friends in Europe on PSO. It seems inconceivable that a network Phantasy Star title would be region isolated.

I am still troubled by Sega's move to cut off the Japanese servers. People need to be more tolerant and accepting of other cultures. Japanese players need to drop their elitest attitude and North American users need to grow up and stop acting like insecure jerks in online games (all online games). Obviously not all North American users act like this, but the majority of 12 years olds screaming over headsets for their moms to bring them their chocolate milk, are from North America. By isolating the Japan servers Sega is encouraging this stereotypical line of thinking, rather than forcing it's userbase to mature.

Even still, I can understand why Sega would have chosen to isolate the Japanese Players. They probobly didn't feel they were equipped to culture the communities to get along.
rank 27
Posted:
Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:53 pm
quote : #6
lordnikon wrote:
PSU would still have a decent player population because of the cross-platform compatibility between PS2 and PC users. From the Playstation 2 perspective, I think it is less about player population and more about cross-region play. This is the FIRST time North American and PAL players will be meeting up online via an RPG on Playstation 2 hardware. I think this is insane for it to be happening in 2006. Everquest Online Adventures was not even cross-region and that was an "MMO" which states on the box you can play with players all over the world. Being unable to meet up with friends over seas on a network Phantasy Star Title would be a huge loss. I am so used to playing with friends in Europe on PSO. It seems inconceivable that a network Phantasy Star title would be region isolated.

I am still troubled by Sega's move to cut off the Japanese servers. People need to be more tolerant and accepting of other cultures. Japanese players need to drop their elitest attitude and North American users need to grow up and stop acting like insecure jerks in online games (all online games). Obviously not all North American users act like this, but the majority of 12 years olds screaming over headsets for their moms to bring them their chocolate milk, are from North America. By isolating the Japan servers Sega is encouraging this stereotypical line of thinking, rather than forcing it's userbase to mature.

Even still, I can understand why Sega would have chosen to isolate the Japanese Players. They probobly didn't feel they were equipped to culture the communities to get along.

lol alotta dem 12 yr old cats be killinnnnn in dese games
Posted:
Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:30 pm
quote : #7
Phew ! Smile

Very good news

now im back on to buying this at lunch over here in the uk Smile

my next problem is gonna be that the game will need to disply ntsc format display (like all other cross-region ps2 games ive played) and i dont own a tv which does this Sad