Page Location: Home > Sega PS2 Games > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:26 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
An enhanced version of the original Virtual On Cybertroopers is headed to the Playstation 2 in Japan. It is coming out on the Sega Ages 2500 series. They will be showing it off at TGS.

I need to buy a Japanese Playstation 2 as soon as possible.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:26 am
quote : #2
If the 2500 version of Virtual On is compatible with HDLoader or HDAdvance, you can play it on an NTSC system. When you install a game to the HDD using HDLoader or HDAdvance on the PS2, it checks to see what region your disc is from before it lets you install. But, once a game is installed, it doesn't check the region anymore.

So, using a program like WinHIIP or HDLdumb, you can temporarily install the PS2 HDD in your computer and install a PS2 game directly from your DVD drive, and those programs don't do a region check. Then, you put the HDD back into your PS2 and you're good to go.

So, if VO is compatible with HDLoader, you won't have to buy an import PS2 to get it up and running. Once something is on your hard drive, you don't have to worry about regions anymore. I've got Sega Ages 2500 Volume 5: Golden Axe installed on my HDD. Unfortunately, the only confirmation I've been able to find on Sega Ages games being HDLoader compatible stops at volume 15.

Compatible:
Sega AGES Vol 1: Phantasy Star: Generation 1
Sega AGES Vol 2: Monaco GP
Sega AGES Vol 3: Fantasy Zone
Sega AGES Vol 4: Space Harrier
Sega AGES Vol 5: Golden Axe
Sega AGES Vol 6: Bonanza Brothers
Sega AGES Vol 7: Columns
Sega AGES Vol 8: Virtua Racing - Flat Out
Sega AGES Vol 9: Gain Ground
Sega AGES Vol 10: After Burner II
Sega AGES Vol 11: Fist of The North Star
Sega AGES Vol 12: Puyo Puyo Perfect Set
Sega AGES Vol 13: Outrun
Sega AGES Vol 14: Alien Syndrome

Not compatible:
Sega AGES Vol 15: DecAthlete Collection

There are a couple past volume 15 that I want to import (Volume 27: Panzer Dragoon, Volume 16: Virtua Fighter 2, and Volume 26: Dynamite Deka) but I'm going to wait until I can find some confirmation as to whether or not they will work. I'm thinking of importing Virtua Racing (even though most of 2-14 is on the Sega Classics Collection), Columns, and Afterburner as well.

So basically, there is a decent chance you will be able to play Virtual On and only have to shell out a few bucks for a copy of HDLoader or HDAdvance, as opposed to a shitload for an import JPN PS2.

Edit: The cheapest I've found 2500 series games at import websites online is around $29 USD a piece. That's very expensive (especially considering you can get a copy of Sega Classic Collection, which has most of those games on the list, for around $5 in the US), so I'm trying to track down somehwere that sells them cheaper. I'll let the board know if I find any.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:20 am
quote : #3
Honestly that is too much work for me at the moment. I would much rather boot up the game as normal on an actual console. I have a lot of Japanese Imports I want to buy for the Playstation 2, so it is only natural for me to purchase a JPN PS2 console. I actually want to pay for the system and own it. Plus I want to get online with some JPN online titles.

I won't be buying import versions of all of the "remakes" they released. I will just pick up the Sega Classics Collection for that. I will be buying the ones not released stateside.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Virtual On. Panzer Dragoon from what I have seen turned out VERY well. So I am anticipating a slight boost in graphics, but the same old Cybertroopers. This is what I am hoping for.
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:44 am
quote : #4
That makes sense. It would be much easier to just put in a game and fire it up if you had the native hardware.

On a side note, I've seen adaptors that allow you to use a PS2 controller on a Saturn or Dreamcast, but are there any that work the other way around? Playing VO with a Dual Shock isn't that bad, but it would be rad to have a set of sticks.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:46 pm
quote : #5
Well, they would only work if there was native support for a Twin Sticks model already. Remember the Saturn sticks work on the Dreamcast via a convertor, because the DC had a pair of twin sticks released itself. Virtual On Marz was released on the PS2, which is a pseudo port of Virtual On 4: Force. Sega never released a PS2 twin sticks peripheral, assuming they could get away with "simulating" the twin sticks experience using the dual-shock analog sticks. The only way to play Virtual On on the Playstation 2 with twin sticks support, is to custom mod Saturn sticks to work on the Playstation 2. I have seen some on eBay from time to time.

The JPN release of Cybertroopers Virtual On will probably lack system-link support, as well as any twin stick support. (They would have to release a special set of Twin Sticks just for this release, which is highly unlikely.)
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:50 pm
quote : #6
You guys went straight over my head here. Are you all talkig about some kinda old school game compilation released in japan thats somethin like sonic mega collection plus?
Posted:
Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:18 pm
quote : #7
Well, sort of. It isn't a compilation. Sega has this series in Japan called Sega Ages 2500. They have been releasing Saturn games onto the Playstation 2. They are for the most part exact ports, however they have clean up the graphics a bit.

Virtual On Cybertroopers, the original Virtual On title, is headed to the Sega Ages 2500 series. It will be released in Japan and is set to be on display at TGS2006.
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:20 pm
quote : #8
Shocked really?? Thats crazy! I wonder if it'll come here.It it do I'm crossing my fingers for nights.....I never did get to play into that much of that game outside of 10min playthroughs I'd have at toys r us in my broker dayz
Posted:
Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:40 pm
quote : #9
I can guarantee it is not coming out here. The only hope would be, if sega decides to release a Sega Saturn collection after the Genesis Collection release. I do not expect that it will happen.

The JP PS2 import of this game is more or less for sega diehards who want to re-buy the game again, and play it on the PS2.

If you are looking to experience Virtual On, you have a myriad of choices available. You can purchase Virtual On Marz for the Playstation 2, or you can buy Virtual On Oratorio Tangram on the Dreamcast, or the original Virtual On CyberTroopers on the Saturn. There was also a PC port of Cybertroopers released, but it is hard as all hell to find.
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:56 pm
quote : #10
I'm not going to lie to you guys, I'm not a huge Virtual On fan. I'm just excited in this thread to see another classic Sega game hit the 2500 series. I know a lot of people really like VO gameplay. I have a disc only copy of VO for the Saturn, and a complete copy of VO for the DC, both in decent condition that I'm looking to trade. PM me and all.

Backpeddling a bit to the twin sticks, if you used an adaptor, would the sticks just function as PS2 analog sticks? If so, then a Saturn or DC set of sticks would work, since the PS2 versions of VO just use the analog sticks for movement, don't they?

I've never played with sticks, so I can't be sure.

Also Gforce, most of the first 15 games in the 2500 series were released on one disc as the "Sega Classics Collection" in the US, which was generally panned by game reviewers. The games are in 3D, and Virtua Racing now plays at 60fps, which is nice. You can usually score it used for around $5-$10, and it's worth it for Virtua Racing, Outrun, and Columns alone. (Edit: Outrun, Golden Axe, Space harrier, Columns, Alien Syndrome, Fantasy Zone, Monaco GP, Virtua Racing, and Tant R & Bonanza Bros to be exact).

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:09 pm
quote : #11
The Twin Sticks will not work on the Playstation 2 using an existing adaptor. The Saturn and Dreamcast did not have controllers with 2 analog sticks. Therefore the existing adaptors are only designed to map 1 analog stick to the Playstation 2's controller.

Also, even on the Dreamcast you need a specific saturn adaptor with a toggle switch to use Saturn twin sticks.

So far the only way that Twin Sticks will function on the Playstation 2, is to hard-wire mod them to a PS2 controller board. I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to do this, or how well the sticks work once they are successfuly modded. I do know that since Marz is just an "ok" game, and Virtual On (the original) coming to the PS2 is more like a novelty for diehards; setting up twin sticks for the PS2 should be a last priority.

I would get twin sticks for the Saturn and just leave them as is, and then play Virtual On on the saturn, rather than ripping them apart to play the original Virtual On for the PS2.

I would be sweet if sega sold a special bundle for the 2500 series release, but I doubt they would do that.