Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:40 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I have seen alot of ppl wondering about this and i have tried many of the broadband only games with ics and im goin to give a report on how well the games work with ics:

PART 1:

Splinter Cell Pandora Tomarow: Works Perfect no lag

XIII: Again works perfect with no lag

CO OP Games such as Champions of norrath, Return of the King, and Everything or Nothing work well when a good connection with the other player is availible.

Medal of Honor:
Works good when a good connection is availible and the games are kept to less than 6 players

Socom 2: works good in small repawn and small games and sometimes a game of 10 ppl will work. Sometimes i will get disconnected.

Socom 1: For some reason i get less lag with this as i do with socom 2. this works well with games less than 10 ppl. I sometimes can play full games of 16 ppl with no lag. Sometimes i get disconnected with network from this too.

FireWarrior: Warhammer 40k : works great with no lag.

For PART 2 I will try Ghost Recon Jungle Storm, NBA Ballers, and Serious Sam
Posted:
Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:52 pm
quote : #2
Wow, awesome info! Thanks man.
Posted:
Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:04 pm
quote : #3
o yeah i forgot Rainbow Six 3: This game works great most of the time... Every once and a while it will lag and not registe your shots and when you shot ppl nothin will happen. But other than that this is a great running ics game.

If anyone has any questions feel free to pm me.

Posted Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:57 am:

PART 2:

Ghost Recon Jungle Storm: Works Perfect with no lag. Voice chat is clear also... This is a good game for people who like to snipe.

Midnight Club 2: Works good with 1 or 2 ppl. However i did lag out sometimes with full races but not all the time.

Auto Modellista: Works Great with not lag....

Twisted Meatal Black Online:i use ics with this to enter the 8 ppl games and found no problem with gameplay.

For Part 3 I hope to try nba Ballers, MLB Slugfest,
Posted:
Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:00 pm
quote : #4
Alright, I finally got ICS set up played some games online. First off, thanks Mir_wan for this info and help you provided me. (YGPM.)

After getting a crossover cable and testing my connection on my PS2 when setting my ICS up, I got it to work without many hitches. The games I tried out for a while after getting ICS all done and over with were Rainbow Six 3, XIII, SSX 3, and Twisted Metal:Black ONLINE. (I thought I'd give my own little 'report' just to have anyone looking at this get another perspective.)

Rainbow Six 3 worked fine with up to 6 players, but the voice chat was a little cracky here and there; I was the one lagging in stride, but it wasn't that bad and didn't ruin the experience. I also had to get into a steady server, or else the game would quit out on me and reset to the main menu. Once I do get a stable server, though, it was great. The only real bad parts, in any case, were the initial load times.

XIII was perfect with no lag from the other players, athough chat of some sort was needed to make this a better online game. I was in a 4-player deathmatch game and it works perfectly.

SSX 3, however, was nearly unplayable under ICS if you wanted voice chat. It already lagged a bit over a regular dial-up connection, so trying to have a successful dial-up over ICS connection with voice chat was out of the question. I got disconnected twice in a row during load times and could never actually get into the game. Whatever voice chat I did get from the opposite player was full of static and laggy. It's still great online, but I have to make sure that I don't have my USB headset plugged in next time and just play without voice chat.

Twisted Metal:Black ONLINE was second to XIII in terms of playability. Little lag, even in full 8-player games. Fantastic (and now probably my soon-to-be most played online game yet).

Can't wait to finally participate in some OC games for once. Very Happy Thanks again Mir_wan!

Posted Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:39 pm:

Okay, here's some more of my experiences for anyone reading this thread, this time with Auto Modellista, NHL Hitz Pro, and Tribes: Aerial Assault (already dial-up compatible).

Auto Modellista was great. I played with some OC members and got in some good races, with no apparent lag. There was a little hitch in the opponent cars if I collided with them (where they would suddenly be farther ahead of me than they were), but this rarely happen and didn't hurt the gameplay. The initial load time of exchanging data was a little stiff, but overall, this is a great ICS game.

NHL Hitz Pro was one of the laggest games yet, and the one game I got in was against one person. This is a fast-paced game that needed more bandwidth, for sure. Lag was apparent from the delay in shooting response, movement, and a choppy framerate. It wasn't unplayable by any means, but just a bad experience. This is a game I won't be playing online a lot.

Tribes: Aerial Assault already supported dial-up connections, but was always laggy for the dial-up people if they were to enter games beyond 6 or so players. Well, the same holds true under ICS. I joined a 16 player CTF game and while I still had fun, lag was through the roof, with up to 5 second delays in shooting, jetpack use, and pack usage. Everyone else in my game had choppy movement, where one second they'd be on the ground running, then airborne 20 feet in the air the next. There was no way for me to shoot anyone down effectively or do anything in a timely fashion except go for the flag, but my laggy response to the oncoming fire never let me successfully make one capture. I'm sure that if I was playing in a 4-8 player game that the game would run just fine.
Posted:
Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:54 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
I'm got this new game and it works well on dialup and unbelvably its burnout 3 which i figured would run like hell on dialup but it works fine the only things are that sometimes u will get a unable to establish communication with players message in some games and u will have to find choose another and u cant host a game no matter what # of players u choose(itll host but when u choose start game its dimmed out).Also while your playing the game a message will appear saying uve lost connection but just wait sometime cuz when it dissapears ur connection untimed out again and and its just like it never happened.I like it this way cuz on nfsu and midnight club if ur connec timesd out but 3 secs or so itll put that msg and ull be disconnected from da game and have to pick a new one.But uhhh anyways it works nicely over dialup the party crash modes bein da best zero lag only thing is you cant view the winning crash for the round

Posted thu3 Marpm0630,2004:

still ain't got broadband but i got to try out one or 2 more bb games as of late one was nba ballers the game worked over ics but the game works like the espn nba series like whatever the slowest connection is,is what speed the game will go at and boy does shit trudge on there so u gotta at least find someone with a ping of 230 or less then the speed of the game will be manageable but still very noticeable and i also tried blitz the league and it actually worked just about the same as nba ballers except i couldnt finish a quarter into a game w/o a d/c even tho lag was less prominent
Posted:
Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:43 pm
quote : #6
As soon as I can get a really long RJ-45 cable (needs to be about 50ft), I'll be trying out ATV3 with ICS. I'll be making games with a player cap of 4 with no headset use.
Posted:
Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:08 pm
quote : #7
U-235 wrote:
As soon as I can get a really long RJ-45 cable (needs to be about 50ft), I'll be trying out ATV3 with ICS. I'll be making games with a player cap of 4 with no headset use.

I'd try 3. Most of the games I played over ICS I had 44000bps connec and I never could get by on atv 2 wit 4 players.I'd try asking a broadband user to create a 3-4 player game since when you host you gotta have a good upload speed
Posted:
Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:26 pm
quote : #8
Hey, if you guys need someone on Broadband to host a Serious Sam game to test how well it runs with ICS, let me know. I'm ridiculously busy during the week and most of the weekend, but if we scheduled it out I could probably find some time. Maybe a four player cap and work our way up from there based on how smoothly everything goes?

(I love Serious Sam online, but because of some of it's problems it's not very fun unless you know who you're playing with and everyone is there for a good time as opposed to a good frag count.)

Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:46 am
quote : #9
Einhander wrote:
(I love Serious Sam online, but because of some of it's problems it's not very fun unless you know who you're playing with and everyone is there for a good time as opposed to a good frag count.)

LOL I never I thought i'd see that written out before but i'm also down for a game as well as i aint played it since 05 Mr. Green
Posted:
Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:54 pm
quote : #10
I think (and I know it's not a very popular opinion Wink ) that Serious Sam is great, probably the closest online PS2 game I've seen to the DC's mindless-action-blastfest that is Quake III. The problem is, the characters are so small that they're almost impossible to hit from any distance. The skelaton character blends in with the environments way too well, and the weapon balance isn't exactly... well, balanced. At all. The single player is fun, but the MP needs some pretty serious work.

Some good things about it are because it's not the most graphically impressive game on the PS2 the framerate doesn't drop when you get into some absolutely huge outdoor areas with tons of enemies running around with explosions and projectiles flying everywhere. Some of the multiplayer maps are pretty cool too. And while the weapons are mainly the standard-issue Pistols, shotgun, machine gun, chaingun, rocket launcher, laser gun we've all grown accustomed to in a FPS, some of them are pretty fun to use. Plus it has a chainsaw. I could see it being fun if you were playing with a group of people you knew and no one was being a jerk. It's very easy in the game to get a certain weapon and gain control of the match.

Hopefully since it goes so easy on the system, netplay will be smooth with someone over ICS, but with the problems that the MP had in general, who knows what kind of code will be flying around.

You guys can check my PDBs if there are any other games you'd want to try with me hosting. Even if I'm busy I can still host and not play. I was on dial-up for a long time around a year ago. I know how much it sucks, so any opportunity I have to help out anyone who's still stuck with it I don't mind.

Dreadnought
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:57 am
quote : #11
Wow...there actually other people out there using ICS too... Well heres my experience with some of the ps2 games and ICS.
Both Star Wars Battlefront I & II work exceptionally but lags sometimes depending on the ping of the server you join. Monster Hunters also works fine but I haven't throughly tested it yet. Call of Duty seems to work but I get disconnected randomly sometimes. Battlefield 2: modern Combat also works in games with like 16 players or CTF maps. i would also suggest to mute all the mics in game for optimal performace. X-men Legends 2 also works but I havent througly tested it. I have tested all of these games on Window Xp so that doesnt necessarily mean it'll work for everyone depending on the OS they use. I would also recommend for you people connect ing to the internet at lower speeds than 53k to check out this guide http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68127&highlight=56k+tweaks
It'll help you tweak your speed up a notch if you follow the direction.

Zebulus
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:18 am
quote : #12
I use ICS and havent had any problems at all.

The only game that has lagged for me was Halo2, but no PS2 games lag whatsoever.

Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:17 am
quote : #13
Zebulus wrote:
I use ICS and havent had any problems at all.

The only game that has lagged for me was Halo2, but no PS2 games lag whatsoever.

Damn...really? You in the UK? must have super dialup or sumtin
Posted:
Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:23 am
quote : #14
Im in the US, and I have broadband.

I use ICS because I have wireless set up in my home, and I have my dekstop in the hallway. Id much rather run a cable 4 feet from my PS2 to the hallway, then 30 feet to the kitchen where my router is.

So I use ICS, and route internet from my wifi card to my NIC.