Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:40 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
This just in! The latest issue of Famitsu Magazine reports that the Playstation 2 version of Final Fantasy XI will be fully compatible with the Playstation 3. Everyone who felt snubbed by the slim models lack of an HDD bay, will now be able to access the world of FFXI with the Playstation 3 system. I feel this is a positive move on Square-Enix's part. Instead of creating a lackluster next-gen upgrade to FFXI, they are sticking with the original Playstation 2 version and continuing to support it well into the lifespan of the Playstation 3. The importance of this news means continued support for the FFXI PS2 release and a resurplus of hardware to take the game online. - Note: Please keep your replies directly focused on the topic of this article. Thank you.

Last edited by lordnikon on Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:44 pm
quote : #2
Sorry, but I'm a bit confused by the wording of this post. I'm coming out of it thinking the following three things:

-If the info is that FFXI truly is compatible with the PS3 system, does one use the install disc(s) and simply install the game to the PS3's 2.5" Serial ATA HDD? (I believe the PS2's HDD is a 3.5" SATA.). This was where I originally believed it would be incompatible, since they use different hard drive bays, etc.
-FFXI will still be supported on the PS2 and its HDD for many more years to come, despite emergence of the PS3 platform into the market.
-By "a resurplus of hardware to take the game online," are you specifically mentioning the PS3's use as a PS2 w/ an HDD for FFXI, or the chance of older 'fat' PS2 models resurfacing as the game continues to be supported?

I hope I'm not nitpicking, but don't get me wrong--I agree, this is great news to hear that FFXI will keep on living. I'm just hoping for a little clarification on how FFXI will work with the PS3 if the game's originally meant to work on PS2 hardware (HDD and all).
Posted:
Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:56 pm
quote : #3
All I know is that Final Fantasy XI will be supported on the PS3. This is what GameFront reported. It will probobly install to the PS3's harddrive.

By saying a "re-surplus" of hardware, I was referring to the release of the PS3 to the market. It increases the number of hardware devices available to play the Playstation 2 version of FFXI Online. I would also assume that SquareEnix is preparing a FFXI collection. Featuring the original game and all the expansion packs on one release. Since at the moment the only way you can get started with FFXI is to buy the HDD bundle.

FFXI is surely still accessable to the diehard PS2 fan, but to the average person it is hard to track down the hardware necessary to play the game online.

The thing I would like to avoid is the situation the Dreamcast has with the Broadband Adaptor; where we don't have enough hardware to meet the demand of the members here at OnlineConsoles. I think it would be best if users could easily get online with FFXI, rather than having a lot of trouble finding the hardware to do it.
rank 21
Posted:
Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:00 pm
quote : #4
The physical size of the harddrive is irrelevant. And the PS2 is an IDE harddrive. Which is also irrelevant. Software can be installed on any physically sized harddrive regardless of the interface. This is good news. Too bad I will never get a PS3. Razz

Quote:
I'm just hoping for a little clarification on how FFXI will work with the PS3 if the game's originally meant to work on PS2 hardware (HDD and all).

The PS3 is meant to emulate all PS2 and PS1 games perfectly. 100% everything. Including HDD support, apparently =P

Both versions of the PS3 have a built in harddrive, so Squeenix doesn't have to worry about users not having the necessary hardware. They may even release a "Playstation 3" version that doesn't have the PS2 harddrive.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:25 am
quote : #5
Latest Update:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161638.html

Compatibility issues concerning Final Fantasy XI mentioned. A software update is planned to fix the problem. So the game won't be working 100% right off the bat.

(NOTE: please keep this thread focused on the original topic at the start of this thread, and not the general information in the gamespot url above)
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:08 am
quote : #6
Hooray for unsecured wifi hotspots!

Anyway, I'm assuming FFXI will be available for purchase and download directly to the PS3 HDD, since tracking down and buying the PS2 FFXI bundle would be crazy for PS3 owners.

Assuming that, then hopefully this means we'll see a downloadable release for Front Mission Online as well, since it was never released in the US or Europe. I would really, really like to play that game, but since SOA handled the PlayOnline situation so badly, it's no surprise Square-Enix decided to never release it outside of Japan, where PS2s sporting an expansion bay were (are) still widely available.

If anything, it's awesome that more console players will be able to play, since playing on a PS2 requires specific hardware that is pretty difficult to track down, and (unless you already own one) playing on the 360 will set you back $450 for the system and the game. This way you'll have three different consoles to choose from.

kingofgrills
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:59 am
quote : #7
Sony now has a dedicated site opened up for backward compatibility updates, so hopefully, it will be resolved soon. I was just eyeing two hard drive sets sitting on the shelf in a Game Trader store, and it killed me not to buy one of them. I didn't know Final Fantasy would be compatible with my PS3.

This is good news.

Hello Children!
Check out Scent of a Robot at http://www.petemiser.com/
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:12 am
quote : #8
If you can score a hot deal on a FFXI HDD bundle for the PS2 such as 40.00 or less. DO it!!! It is a great deal.

So far I have been buying them up where-ever possible. I have 2 of them, and then a 2 more on the way which lanz scored for me. One for me and one for my brother.

Due to the generation shift prices are plummeting on FFXI HDD bundles. Take advantage of it while you still can!
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:25 am
quote : #9
Cool. Is there a list or resource of the games and applications that utilized the hard drive? I know Sega utilized it for their 2K sports games for a few years, with enhanced game coverage for half time shows, but beyond FF that's all I know.

Is there a good resource available anywhere? Thanks.

Hello Children!
Check out Scent of a Robot at http://www.petemiser.com/
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:55 am
quote : #10
I will post a list over in the General Online forum this afternoon Wink