Page 1 of 1
clarksonator
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:44 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hello,
I am getting a new PS2 for Christmas with the hopes of playing online games with my brother. We have been using the xlink kai thing to play Xbox system link games with little success. Apparently our 95-100ms ping is way too high. I was wondering if I will experience the same problems using the PS2 (I will use the built-in online functions, not xlink kai). Do PS2 games use a central game server and therefore the only important ping is between my PS2 and the game server (and not my ping to my brother)? Or maybed PS2 games just work better with a higher ping (I sure hope so, I always thought that part of our problems was that the games we tried were coded to run over highspeed LAN and not the Internet). Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

mAx

U-235
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:27 pm
quote : #2
Well I have connection sharing set up on dialup, and I can play games like PSU, Monster Hunter, and Ghost Recon Jungle Storm no problem. You should be fine. There is no central service like with xbox live, though many games do have DNAS authentication to prevent piracy. LAN titles you'd have to someone else will have to jump in and tell you about, but the online specific titles, you shouldn't have any problems with.
Posted:
Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:48 pm
quote : #3
Sounds good, thanks fro the info. I figured it would work about better this way. We really want to play Madden 06 which, according to the game list, supports dial-up so I would hope that broadband would work without ANY problems.

mAx

Phredreeke
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:48 am
quote : #4
Off topic, but Madden 06 is a EA sports title, and those don't tend to stay online for very long. I'd expect about another year.

clarksonator
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:58 am
quote : #5
Yeah, it looks like about 2 years for each Madden game. So I guess next year I can either buy an old 07 and use it for a year or get a new 08 and use it for two years. I would buy 07 now but I don't want to spend too much without first knowing we will be able to play online. I guess I also have to consider how long EA will support PS2 online with the PS3 out now.

mAx

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:48 am
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
It has nothing to do with the PS3. EA has been terminating their online games like clockwork for years. It is part of their standard practices. EA will continue terminating their online games in the next generation just like they have done on the Playstation 2. It is the way they do business unfortunatly.
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:25 am
quote : #7
Oh, I just meant that I wonder if they will terminate it (PS2 games) even quicker with the PS3 out.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:44 am
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yea I was trying to reflect how EA's policy will not change based on new hardware coming out. It is just the way they are. The PS2 games won't come offline any faster either. EA will terminate the PS2 online games on their regular schedule like they have been for the past few years. They usually announce new terminations every 6 months.

As for Madden, if you enjoy the game I would just enjoy it while it lasts. It also depends on how dedicated you are to online gaming on the PS2. OnlineConsoles is really an enthusiasts site for more serious players in it for the long haul. You may be looking to just hang out and play madden with a friend or two for a few months, and then move on to something else or the latest Madden. So it all depends on ones perspective.

For most people here having a game be online forever (meaning with LAN capabilities to tunnel, or some other alternate means) is very important.

So depending on what your interest level is, the pending termination of a Madden title may not even be a big deal.
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:44 pm
quote : #9
Well, the termination is important to a point. I don't mind buying a new copy of Madden but I do mind being force to buy a new console. As long as I can play some version of Madden (or even NFL 2k5) for at least 3-4 years (if Madden 08 comes out on the PS2 I would assume I could play it online until 2009), I will be happy.

mAx