Topic: Used network adaptor

Page 1 of 1
Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:48 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I am considering bidding on a used playstation 2 and network adaptor on Ebay. The seller does not have the access disk or serial code for the netlink adaptor and the PS2 has been used online. Is it possible to get a new serial or is this netlink adaptor useless? I looked at the Playstation 2 website and it says to register for online you need a serial first before you can get the access disc so seems a bit catch 22.

Laters

Phredreeke
rank 6
Posted:
Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:06 pm
quote : #2
Some games have the net configuration utility built in. I made a topic on it http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2271

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:01 pm
quote : #3
Phredreeke wrote:
Some games have the net configuration utility built in. I made a topic on it http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2271

Thanks for that Smile is there a bigger list? ir exact list anywhere on the web? See what I am trying to do is buy the PS2 with the netlink then resell the PS2 therfore saving lots of money Very Happy However that wont work if I have to fork out 20 notes for a game to configure the system that I dont realy want Sad

Also at the playstation website it says you must register to play online and you cannot register to play online unless you have a serial code. is this correct or not cus if it is I am still knackerd withlut a serial code?

Cheers

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:42 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Ok for starters different games in each region have setup tools on them. Most games in the US have them, but I am not sure about PAL.

Also, I have to step in here, because its driving me crazy. The Playstation 2 network adaptor is simply called "Network Adaptor". This is what it is called in North America and PAL. Everytime you say netlink I think of the Saturn, as netlink is not nor has ever been associated with the Network Adaptor. You are free to call the device whatever you want, but I felt the need to bring up this clarrification.

As far as registering to play online, this is only for Sony online titles. You have to register and get setup with Central Station to play Sony hosted titles online. It is only for these games and Central Station is a community feature exclusive to PAL systems and is managed by Sony of Europe.

I have a rough knowledge of the PAL PS2 setup. The only good place to get more information on troubleshooting PAL PS2 online is the Playstation.co.uk forums:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Scroll down to Playstation Network Gaming. Read thead after thread in the Technical forum and do some searches. I am not trying to send you away because I don't want to deal with your questions. I am posting this advice since it is the exact same thing I would have to do in order to answer your questions. I will do some reading up later as well to see if I can find anything to help you out.
rank 19
Posted:
Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:22 pm
quote : #5
Thanks for that Lordnikon Smile

My recent dealings with all things saturn is the reason I keep mixing network and netlink words Confused they are all becomming one. I will now have more time to look into the whole used network adaptor scenario as the ebay auction rocketed higher than I was willing to pay which wasent surprising but at least I did have a go Smile

I shall now look at the links you have provided Smile

Laters

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:44 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hmm have you tried scrounging around game shops in the UK?
rank 19
Posted:
Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:46 am
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
Hmm have you tried scrounging around game shops in the UK?

Laughing Yes I have, I have been to all but but 3 in Bristol and my Bro did the ones in town. The other 3 I rang as I knew the owners are independant and will know if they have any or not unlike the chain stores where if you ring thers a chance the kid on the phone cant be botherd to get his finger out his ass and go look in the stock room and will just say no.

May get one this afternoon from an online source, will know by tonight.

Laters

carl250481
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:28 am
quote : #8
theres one here brand new on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-Ethernet-PS2-Network-Adapter-Adaptor-Playstation-2_W0QQitemZ160069404948Q QihZ006QQcmdZViewItem

dont know what ur willing to pay though ill still have a look through the uk sites for u.
fanoid
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:29 pm
quote : #9
my slim line ps2 has been registered with sony and works fine with the games ive played.

i think the serial code thing was only for sony games but im not 100% on that