LNA-Big_D
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:37 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
My PS2 will not play blue disks .
I think it might be because i got mine earlier on,on my birthday ( July 7 2002 is when i got it ) .
Any ideas on how to fix this?
Posted:
Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:41 pm
quote : #2
The tape trick in this thread worked for me http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=881
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:32 pm
quote : #3
put your ps2 verticle.. i heard that helps sometimes
Posted:
Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:12 am
quote : #4
Posted Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:31 am:

i found a pic of what it should look like. great thread btw.
Posted:
Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:17 am
quote : #5
Also sometimes you might have to put even more tape on there.But just be sure to make it so theres an even amount of tape on each side of the disc or you run the risk of scratching the disc.

JimSensei
rank 12
Posted:
Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:36 am
quote : #6
Yeah.

Just incase you are wondering why that happens, the Blue Discs, or CD-Roms, have to be spun faster, and since alot of the older ones are either worn out or built with the disc drives farther from the disc reader (I beleive any model below 390001) it becomes harder for the CD to stay in the area it is suppose to be in, so it spins out of place and grinds.
Posted:
Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:42 pm
quote : #7
my PS2 is always vertical and the blue discs dont work
Posted:
Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:36 pm
quote : #8
Well, while some people have reported no problems either way. Logically it is better to have your PS2 horizontal. When in vertical mode the downforce of gravity might have an effect on the disc reader. I used to have my PS2 vertical as well, and then I too started having issues with blue bottom discs. I fear that having the PS2 vertical really does have an effect on some peoples disc readers.

Try putting tape on like above.

Then set your PS2 to the Horizontal position.

While the game is attempting to boot up, place your fingers under the rightside ledge of the PS2, and raise it about half a cm up and let it drop down gently on the surface it is sitting on. Do this in 1.5-2 second intervals. Warning: give it loving taps..don't let it smash down on the ground.

This is what I do when my TribesAA disc is having trouble booting up. It works for me.

However it may or may not for you, your situation seems far far worse than mine.
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:11 am
quote : #9
It's funny, because my PS2 refuses tp read CDRoms in the horizontal position, it'll only read them vertical. I even had to buy a vertical stand to keep it upright, because I thought the extra weight from the HDD would make it easy to topple over.

I swapped my old PS2 with a burned out lens motor for anotehr non-working model from our backstock when I worked at GameCrazy (it's funny, because the first PS2 I got was also non-working, I got it from my uncle with the old "if you can fix it, you can have it" speil a few years previous). I cleaned it out, cleaned the lens assembly, and upped the voltage a tiny bit, and now it works great, boots like a champ. But it will only boot CDRoms in vertical mode.

Are you technilogically inclined at all? I.E., are you comfortable opening your PS2 up? If so, a lens cleaning is an extremely simple (and most of the time, extremely effective) way to clear up most major disc read error problems. All it takes is a little alcohol and some Q-tips. A PSU voltage adjustment is a little more hardcore, but not out of the hands of someone who is even remotely cool with electronics.

Googling for "PS2 DRE Lens Cleaning" type sentences should provide some good tutorials for minor fixes. If not, I've got a full-blwon repair guide I found on the internet. It's a .pdf, and it's a little large, but I could probably find it if someone needed it.

LNA-Big_D
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:55 am
quote : #10
i might be able to clean the lens if i knew where to open it. i dont know if i could open the PS2 and do anything but clean the lens.
but my uncle works on PCs for a living so mabey he could do the other stuff
Posted:
Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:09 pm
quote : #11
the only thing that sux about opening it up is that sony wont fix it later down the road is it completely dies like mine did before..

you uncle may be able o fix it if that happens so i guess you could open yours
Posted:
Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:41 pm
quote : #12
ur other option is to modchip ur ps2 or buy magic swap and patch the cd games to dvd and give ur ps2 laser a break,
just google for the tutorial on how to patch, i have done this and my games work great.