Topic: What is LAN?

Page 1 of 1
matthewj
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:37 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Ok i have heard so much about this LAN stuff what is it really???? I am very confused about it!!!! IS Lan just another way to play online when the servers have been terminated??? Please get back to me as soon as possible!!!

Thanks
matthewj

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:29 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
LAN which is short for "Local Area Network" is just that. You have to have a local network setup. This can be done using a router. Instead of connecting to a master list server which is hosted by a company, in LAN mode your PS2 scans the local network for other PS2's. Usually the LAN mode is identical to the Online Mode, except setup for local play.
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:31 pm
quote : #3
hello so if one of the games go offline then you can still play with people in like the same state??? Please get back to me as soon as possible!!!

THanks

TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:23 pm
quote : #4
matthewj wrote:
hello so if one of the games go offline then you can still play with people in like the same state?

Yes. In fact, you could play anyone across the country or around the world provided they owned a compatible version of the game you were wanting to play. You just need to use programs like Xlink Kai or the GIT in order to play. If a game has LAN options, then it doesn't really matter if/when the official online support ends; we can sit here and play the game to our heart's content.
Posted:
Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:00 pm
quote : #5
Hey matthewj, we try to discourage repeat topics, and keeping discussions in-line with the original post.

For continuing the discussion on LAN Tunneling, which was originally created by you in the General Online forum, lets continue talking over there:

http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2449