Page 1 of 1
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:49 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Fu'un Super Combo is Volume 8 in the Japanese PS2 NeoGeo Online collections. This features 2 NeoGeo fighting games:
  • Savage Reign
  • Kizuna Encounter: Super Tag Battle
I will be making a more detailed thread about the emulation of the Neo compilations as a whole, but Fu'un Super Combo is emulated as good as the Art of Fighting / Fatal Fury compilations. You get the NeoGeo AES intro, no sprite flicker, and scan lines. This is as close to the NeoGeo AES cart version you will ever get on a home console. It is identical graphically.

After booting them up on my PS2 for the first time, I was pretty amazed. These are incredible fighting games. Especially Kizuna Encounter which has some gorgious futuristic city scape backgrounds. All of the backgrounds are these gritty rundown environments. One could say they are cyberpunk in nature, but I have to say Kizuna Encounter reminded me of another more recent PS2 fighter port from the Atomiswave. This game is so much like Hokuto no Ken / Fist of the Northstar. Some of the character designs are near spot on (especially King Lion / Shishioh's character), and the pace of the moves is very similar.

In Fist of the Northstar the moves are performed in a certain rhythm. You move forward dealing blows and combos at the specific pace. The same thing is in Kizuna Encounter where you slam very heavy blows one after another sliding toward your opponent only to deal crushing slashes to finally knock them back to the ground. You really do have to play both games to see the similarities. I don't think watching movie clips would cut it.

Savage Reign, the earlier of the two titles, allows you to switch between platformers. There is an upper and lower platform which you can leap between. In Kizuna Encounter this is absent, and the new key feature is the "TAG" system. On the ground there is a zone, if you press a button within this zone you can tag your teamate. The cool thing is, your teamate isn't off screen, but waiting in the background of the level as an environment character! Pretty impressive. Both of these games use the zoom in zoom out feature. If you have played the Art of Fighting titles you will know what I am talking about. Its not as extreme as the original Art of Fighting. It is rather smooth, and on par with the camera zoom balance in Art of Fighting 3. It works well.

If you have a PS2 setup for imports I recommend looking into this title. I ended up playing it for atleast a good 2 hours last night, and didn't end up getting to bed until 2:30am. I would have to say Kizuna Encounter has become one of my new favorite NeoGeo fighting games. It sure is great to have a compilation dedicated to it on the Playstation 2. I highly recommend this release.

Also, if you want a more comprehensive look at the Fu'un series, check out Hardcore Gaming 101's article. It covers pretty much everything, and has tons of great media shots:

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/fuun/fuun.htm