Topic: what is tribes?

Page 1 of 1
mogascreeta
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:50 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
i'm sorry for being an idiot...but what is tribes? I just got my ps2 online and im used to playing xbox live so i still dont know most of these games

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:16 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Tribes Aerial Assault is the console port of Tribes 2 from the PC. Tribes Aerial Assault / Tribes 2 is one the great classics in the FPS genre. There was Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament, and then there was Tribes 2. The gameplay in Tribes is just like these great first person shooters, but you traverse maps with a Jetpack, and there is a much more complex gameplay system in place.

You can setup turrets and sensors, swap out base barrels, ride multiple types of vehicles, change into 3 different armor classes, customize your weapon loadout, and setup mines and remote detonation charges. All the while covering vast distances with your jetpack.

Tribes Aerial Assault also has one thing that very few console shooters have. It is part of an elite group of shooters to have this capability. TAA has dedicated server software that you can run on your PC. It is one of 4 console games in existance to have this capability (Quake 3 on the Dreamcast, and SWBF 1&2 for the PS2 are the others). It is the Playstation 2's open network that allows for such possibilities.

Not only does the dedicates server software allow you to run 24/7 dedicated servers, but the developers also added in some new control schemes, tons of game fixes, as well as the ability to use the chat menu to innitiate over 130+ preset phrases and commands. This dedicated server was actually coded in the original network programmer's free time. It wasn't necessarily officially released.

Tribes Aerial Assault is a fantastic FPS experience. If you have a PS2, and it is online ready, you owe it to yourself to pickup this game. It can be purchase for 8 dollars or less. Which is a complete steal considering the amount of play time you will get out of this game.
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:38 pm
quote : #3
wow , thanks for the info. ill defiately check gamestop's bargain bin for it. I think it ispretty cool how it allows private servers just like quake (i used to have it on dreamcst, but got rid of it..regret!)I just joined this website, and i think it is great that the gamers here all play together on games they think are truly great games, they dont just play certain games just because it is newer and flashier.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:02 am
quote : #4
mogascreeta wrote:
I just joined this website, and i think it is great that the gamers here all play together on games they think are truly great games, they dont just play certain games just because it is newer and flashier.

Yes this is exactly the mentality here. We play games online regardless of the player population. It is all about having fun playing a game we like to play, rather than following the herd and migrating from one mediocre online title to the next, simply because its a new game. TribesAA is a fantastic game and well worth picking up. Track it down as soon as you get the chance. Another neat feature it has is an open buddy list system. It isn't tied to a central database, but instead queries active usernames in servers.

Last edited by lordnikon on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:13 pm
quote : #5
Tribes:AA is the best ps2 game there is. Cool

http://www.tribesaa.com
teamR@@K!E
rank 6
Posted: