Topic: Question...

Page 1 of 1
spo0ken
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:00 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I know this has probably already been asked a million times, but I searched and couldn't find exactly what I needed, thus, I made this topic. Here's the situation -

I have a ps2 slimline; it seems my older model ps2 got struck by lightning or something, I don't know, it just don't work. Rolling Eyes Since I purchased the slimline ps2, it doesn't have an opening for a network adapter or a dial-up jack. Unfortunately, I'm still running on 56k because broadband isn't offered in my area.

I've read on other forums that's it is still possible to achieve online access via ICS. Nonetheless, I can't figure out how to make that work. I read and realized there was certain things I needed before this could be accomplished, so I already acquired everything (I believe...)

I have...
- PC with all the required utensils
- Online Start-Up Disc 4.0
- Internet Connection
- Sony Playstation 2
- Crossover Cable
- Memory Card
- Game that allows online play

Now the game that I played on my older ps2 was dial-up ready (Tony Hawk's Underground 1-2, but I've read that the Underground 1 servers had been taken down so that pretty much leaves Underground 2). My dial up connection held up reasonably for THUG2, and I'm hoping it will with this method. So I'm not really worried about the lag and whatnot, I just need to know how I can go about doing this.

So basically...

1) The Connection - Does it matter which end of the crossover cable I plug into my PC?

2) The Setup - What options do I need to go through and select on the startup disc? Will I have to modify anything on my PC to establish the connection?

3) Once this is done, is it possible to play broadband games with dial up using the method of ICS that I have? (Yes, I understand the lag issue)

Thanks to anyone for their help and time, I'm just really wanting to play some THUG2. Very Happy

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:16 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
spo0ken wrote:
I know this has probably already been asked a million times, but I searched and couldn't find exactly what I needed, thus, I made this topic.

You searched for a pre-existing thread, and didn't find what you were looking for, so your post is perfectly valid of course Smile Thanks for using the search. We don't have rules against replying to older topics here, so it is always encouraged.

spo0ken wrote:
I have a ps2 slimline; it seems my older model ps2 got struck by lightning or something, I don't know, it just don't work. Rolling Eyes

When you get a chance, buy a Surge Protector. This will protect against lightening damage to your electronics.

spo0ken wrote:
1) The Connection - Does it matter which end of the crossover cable I plug into my PC?

Nope you can plug in either end. Just make sure you have a spare ethernet card in your PC to connect your PS2 to.

spo0ken wrote:
2) The Setup - What options do I need to go through and select on the startup disc? Will I have to modify anything on my PC to establish the connection?

You will want to setup your PS2 as DHCP. Which mean automatic configuration vs manual (static) settings.

If you intend to host games, you will have to open specific ports for each online game you with to play. Are you running Windows XP firewall when you are online on dialup?

spo0ken wrote:
3) Once this is done, is it possible to play broadband games with dial up using the method of ICS that I have? (Yes, I understand the lag issue)

Yes. The key to playing online over ICS is self control. Diving into 16 player games just won't work. Set real world legitimate limits to playing online over ICS and you will do just great. Usually capping games to 4-6 players works best.
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:46 pm
quote : #3
Thanks, I'll keep working with it to see what I get. I do have a firewall on my XP Connection, will that be a problem?

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:53 pm:

Okay, I worked with it a little bit ago and still no success... this is what I got. I tried to make it as clear as possible so it would hopefully be easy to figure out what the problem is. Thank you for any help I get.

[*] = MY SELECTION

- Create New Network Setting
-----------------------------------------
1) Broadband
2) Local Area Network [*]
1) Automatic [*]
2) Manual IP
1) Test Settings
2) Advanced [*]
1) DHCP Hostname: name
2) DHCP Type: Auto-detect
3) Done [*]
1) Test Settings [*]
2) Advanced
Requesting DHCP configuration...

And it just pauses there without no further progress. Earlier when I tried to do this, it actually connected. I have no idea why it's not doing anything now. I checked the cable and everything seems to check out as far as that goes.

If this helps, this is sort of what my Network Connections folder looks like:

Dial Up
--------
- My Connection (Connected, Firewalled)

Network Bridge
--------------
- 1294 Connection (Connected, Bridged, Firewalled)
- Network Bridge (Connected, Firewalled)
- Local Area Connection (Connected, Bridged, Firewalled)

Wizard
-------
- New Connection Wizard
- Network Setup Wizard

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:26 pm:

UPDATE
-------------

Okay, guys, I feel like I'm getting a little progress with this... but complete success, not yet.

Here's the current situation. It testes my network connection - everything a-okay. Then, it checks the DNAS and that goes by alright. The next part is what's giving me a problem. When it gets to the point when it's connecting to the master server, I get the status message:

"Could not access the external network device. Please check all connections and reconnect."

I've tried it with the firewall on and and off and I get the same status message. That's the message I received for "Tony Hawk's American Wasteland". When I try it on "Tony Hawk's Underground 2" it just says "Failed to Connect to Master Server"

What are some things that could be causing this?