Topic: Imports and memory card

Page 1 of 1
X
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:45 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Soon I will be purchasing some Japanese titles for the PS2. I was wondering if I can use my memory card with the Japanese games even though I already have some PAL game saves on it? Or do I need a empty memory card for import games? Because I believe on the GameCube it has to be like that.

Thanks.

Midgaardsorm
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:06 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-J
I have NTSC-J formated cards for both PS2 and GC and I have never had any problems using them cross region. I've heard that some PAL GC users have lost all their saves after using their memory card with a Japanese title. I suppose the reason for this is that they actually reformatted the card without knowing it (in JP games everything is written in Japanese he he...) The GC PAL games and console OS can only read and write Roman scripts. The Japanese on the other hand can write both JP and Roman scripts. So when playing a Japanese game with a PAL formated memory card the Japanese game can't write what it wants and probably asks you to reformat your card (in Japanese of course...)

The PAL PS2 can as far as I know read JP scripts so you should be OK with your PAL formated memory card. I haven't tested it myself so I couldn't say for sure but it's unlikely that you'll lose your saves. I would try it if I were you.

X
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:38 am
quote : #3
Midgaardsorm wrote:
I have NTSC-J formated cards for both PS2 and GC and I have never had any problems using them cross region. I've heard that some PAL GC users have lost all their saves after using their memory card with a Japanese title. I suppose the reason for this is that they actually reformatted the card without knowing it (in JP games everything is written in Japanese he he...) The GC PAL games and console OS can only read and write Roman scripts. The Japanese on the other hand can write both JP and Roman scripts. So when playing a Japanese game with a PAL formated memory card the Japanese game can't write what it wants and probably asks you to reformat your card (in Japanese of course...)

The PAL PS2 can as far as I know read JP scripts so you should be OK with your PAL formated memory card. I haven't tested it myself so I couldn't say for sure but it's unlikely that you'll lose your saves. I would try it if I were you.

Thank you Smile