Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:35 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I was looking through some lists of upcoming releases at various websites and was astonished to see some new motocross and racing games I hadn't heard of yet. I had no idea these games had online capabilities. 2 new motocross games and also a new drag racing game. And, no, it's not another illegal street racer.

First up we have MX Unleashed, from Rainbow studios. I thought I would talk about this one first because it's internet features are not as specific as other online games. The box art does not show any typical sony online symbol. The grey symbol that is on most all ps2 online compatible games. At ebgames it didn't even have the network adaptor in the feature requirements. However under the game features itself, the game will support LAN play as well as TCP/IP internet gameplay. This can be assumed it will be going more the way of the early Tony Hawk games. Where it's more IP > IP users to user based. Personally I feel any game that breaks the mold and has its own methods for getting online is a good thing. Situations like this make for games to be still online, long after sony decides to drop support for PS2 online. MX Unlreashed will support online gameplay in both racing and freestyle modes.

Next up is another motocross game, from Activision. MTX Mototrax will feature both broadband AND dialup compatibility. Yes that's right dialup gamers, a dialup compatible game. The game features 12 top pro riders such as Travis Pastrana. OEM manufacturer bike brands as well as upgrades as you progress through the game. The career mode is non-linear which should be an interesting change of pace, a la SSX3. As far as online gameplay you can play you can play on over 25 different tracks. Also its not just a 2 player game here either. 1-8 players for this game. This game features dialup compatibility and has a 1-8 player game limit so you know the game is programmed well as far as the networking side.

Last but not least comes IHRA Drag Racing 2004. Actual real sport drag racing. Were talking BIG back tires, front whell elevation and lots of flames. You'll be able to customize 70 vehicle components, from tires to transmissions to electronics. Features top cars and drivers from Top Fuel, Pro Mod, Pro Stock, and Funny Car. Since most drag races usually jsut consist of 1 on 1, this game is most likly a 2 player vs online game. Hopefully their is a good lobby and chat system. Since this is one game where trash talk would prolly make the experience more fun, during those pre-drag race discussions.

18 Screenshots of MX Unleased were added
6 Screenshots of MTX Mototrax were added

Last edited by lordnikon on Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:19 pm
quote : #2
Sounds interesting but I'm still waiting for Gran Turismo 4. Wink

MasterChief
rank 16
Posted:
Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:54 pm
quote : #3
awww man!! PROSTOCK!!!! so cool. a real car to me is still a big block v8.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000