Page 1 of 2
Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:51 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
A new model PlayStation 2 is on the way. Set to launch on November 22nd in Japan, the new model PS2 (SCPH-90000) will be 30% lighter than the current model, and will sport an internal power conversion board, eliminating the "power brick" of the current model. Despite this, it will maintain the same dimensions as the current PS2. The price is set at 16,000 Yen (~$140 USD), and it will launch in three colors:

Charcoal Black

Ceramic White

Satin Silver

Here is the link to the press release.

There is no information yet available for release dates, colors available, or prices in other territories, but a late November/early December release (just in time for Christmas) with a $99 USD pricepoint would sell like goddamned hotcakes in NA and Europe.

On a side note, since the internal components are being redesigned to accommodate the requirements for a smaller size and an internal PSU generating heat, there is a chance that we may see compatibility problems with PS2 or PS1 software the same as we did with original redesign. If you have your heart set on picking up a redesigned PS2, it may be in your best interests to wait for reviews and compatibility lists to surface before taking the plunge.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:13 am
quote : #2
I must say I am a big fan of the design changes they made to the system. It may not be readily apparent, but the overall design is less rounded. There are fewer notches in the case design. It is much more "square" and rectangular. I am definatly going to be buying one of these.

Compare:

OLD: http://www.itipsblog.com/images/ps2.jpg
NEW: http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20071106/ps201.htm

I am excited about this. I really really really like this revamp of the slim design.
rank 19
Posted:
Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:21 am
quote : #3
I kind of fail to see why this gets done at all, only my point of view though. Why would I want a new PS2? ech redesign including the slim does less than the previous one. If my PS2 broke and it was not insured (It is very cheaply) would I pay the above prices for a new design PS2 or pick up an older one 2nd hand possibly with games and extras for less money. The later of course in my case. Its good that Sony are doing this though is one way it shows they are still supporting the PS2 and not just the PS3 however I cant help but feel this is more like "lets make more money out of the PS2 as the PS3 is not doing very well"

Good for the collectors I suppose.

Just some personal thoughts and random stuff.

Laters
Posted:
Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:35 am
quote : #4
This is not about the PS3 so lets drop that subject matter right now.

The reason for the redesign is simple: to cut costs. They are selling this system for $99.99. In order to do this they needed to change the case and re-integrate the PSU into the console itself. It has nothing to do with Sony trying to "support" the PS2 as if they are sympathetic to the device. The math equation is simple: cut costs + sell more consoles = $$$

Whether this warrants a purchase depends on who you are. If you own 1 of each of your consoles then you really don't need to buy this.

I however own multiples of all my consoles. Partially for system link reasons, but also because each one has a different purpose. Especially when it comes to the Playstation 2, I collect the consoles because they all have different networking opportunities.

• The early Japanese Models don't have internal HDD support. You had to use a PCMCIA card and an external HDD.
  • Only early PS2's have I.LINK Support, and I need 2 of these for system link
  • I need both a Japanese and a North American PS2 that can support a HardDrive.
  • Supposedly there are PS2 Slims models in North America that have dialup support. I still need to get one of these, though I have one with just Broadband support.
  • If you own a Japanese PS2 with an Internal HDD, the boot up process to load into the Playstation BB interface can take a bit of time. So I use my Japanese Ceramic White slim to boot games up quickly, and then use the HDD model for playing games that support its functions.

I have 7 or 8 PS2's now.
rank 4
Posted:
Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:37 pm
quote : #5
Hmm... I kinda prefer the old (current) one. With the ' grooves'. Because like the original PS2 had that. I like the top of the new one though.

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:35 pm
quote : #6
lordnikon wrote:
This is not about the PS3 so lets drop that subject matter right now.

The reason for the redesign is simple: to cut costs. They are selling this system for $99.99. In order to do this they needed to change the case and re-integrate the PSU into the console itself. It has nothing to do with Sony trying to "support" the PS2 as if they are sympathetic to the device. The math equation is simple: cut costs + sell more consoles = $$$

Whether this warrants a purchase depends on who you are. If you own 1 of each of your consoles then you really don't need to buy this.

I however own multiples of all my consoles. Partially for system link reasons, but also because each one has a different purpose. Especially when it comes to the Playstation 2, I collect the consoles because they all have different networking opportunities.

• The early Japanese Models don't have internal HDD support. You had to use a PCMCIA card and an external HDD.
  • Only early PS2's have I.LINK Support, and I need 2 of these for system link
  • I need both a Japanese and a North American PS2 that can support a HardDrive.
  • Supposedly there are PS2 Slims models in North America that have dialup support. I still need to get one of these, though I have one with just Broadband support.
  • If you own a Japanese PS2 with an Internal HDD, the boot up process to load into the Playstation BB interface can take a bit of time. So I use my Japanese Ceramic White slim to boot games up quickly, and then use the HDD model for playing games that support its functions.

I have 7 or 8 PS2's now.

A lot of the reasons you have given for owning multiple systems are very specific to collectors or gaming enthusiasts like yourself. What new capability will you gain from having one of these new ps2 consoles? Ive not read exactly what it does so I wouldent know

Who would buy this as an entry level ps2? who would buy this as a 2nd ps2 or a replacement ps2? The vast majority of people want a ps2 that performs one basic function and that is to play PS2 games. I would guess the 2nd biggest consideration in a purchase would be to play PS1 games. If I were purchasing for any of these reasons I would for sure buy a 2nd hand console from a shop or local paper with games extras etc for probably 60% of the price. I think I can answer my own question by saying simply that Sony know what a lot of companys know about this day and age "if its shiny and new people have to buy it" This is not directed at those of you here who are ps2/gaming enthusiasts, its just a comment about Joe public.

Laters
Posted:
Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:24 pm
quote : #7
It is the same of the original PS2 slim right? exept with the minor changes(well, I'm not trying to say something bad) like the attached stand and the removed bars(smooth)! I beleive they should do this to the classic PS2 model with the Ethernet Adaptor Attached along with the PSHDD!
Posted:
Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:28 pm
quote : #8
Blast wrote:
A lot of the reasons you have given for owning multiple systems are very specific to collectors or gaming enthusiasts like yourself. What new capability will you gain from having one of these new ps2 consoles?

I only have one PS2 Slim. If I wanted to setup some PS2 system link somewhere else, having 2 PS2 slims would be the optimal hardware for portability. My reasons for buying this console are for me alone, or people like me. My comments were not in anyway designed to convince others that they need to get this new slim redesign. If you already own a working Playstation 2 then this new system release is nothing you should necessarily need.

Blast wrote:
Who would buy this as an entry level ps2?

People who do not own a PS2 yet.

Blast wrote:
who would buy this as a 2nd ps2 or a replacement ps2?

People who want an extra PS2 in the house, or need to replace their existing one.

Blast wrote:
The vast majority of people want a ps2 that performs one basic function and that is to play PS2 games. I would guess the 2nd biggest consideration in a purchase would be to play PS1 games.

*scratches head* Yes that is what this console does, just like all other PS2 consoles.

Blast wrote:
I think I can answer my own question by saying simply that Sony know what a lot of companys know about this day and age "if its shiny and new people have to buy it" This is not directed at those of you here who are ps2/gaming enthusiasts, its just a comment about Joe public.

When talking about Joe public, I am usually the first to point out how consumers buy merchandise without a lot of true genuine interest. They buy things to satisfy themselves temporarily, and move on to the next thing. However I think it is out of line to fault Sony for releasing this redesign. Are you really trying to paint them as the badguy simply because they are refining their manufacturing methods? People are still buying new Playstation 2's, and over 10,000+ PS2's sell in Japan every week.

Sony could have kept on manufacturing the same PS2 Slim they released a few years back, or they could adjust the consoles hardware configuration yet again, make a few tweaks to the units casing, and drop the price by $30.00.

Sony saves money, and the consumer saves money.

I just don't understand where your frustration is coming from. Are you frustrated with Sony for wanting to adjust their manufacturing process? or with consumers for wanting to go into a store and buy a factory sealed video game console?

Kannibal wrote:
It is the same of the original PS2 slim right? exept with the minor changes(well, I'm not trying to say something bad) like the attached stand and the removed bars(smooth)! I beleive they should do this to the classic PS2 model with the Ethernet Adaptor Attached along with the PSHDD!

I personally would not like it if sony flattened out the classic PS2 design. It would make the oldstyle model PS2 very plain to remove all of the grilled insets. The only reason the flat rectangular design works well on this new model is because it is in-fact slim. Providing a more machine like futuristic look in my opinion. I love the original PS2 console design, and still like it the best.

With this new slim, I simply like its design better than the original slim.
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:21 am
quote : #9
I've been wanting to buy a Japanese PS2 for a long time, and it looks like I've found the model I want. That thing is teh seksy.

EDIT: I think I'll go with ceramic white. =]

Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:38 am
quote : #10
I'm confused as to why anyone would think this isn't a good idea. The PS2 is still selling like crazy, even though it has already sold over 120 million units since launch. Sony makes a console that is cheaper to manufacture, and so they make more money. They drop the price, and so consumers save more money. No ports or features are being removed, and (hopefully) compatibility won't suffer, so gamers win.

There are still a ton of people who don't own PS2s. It'll be a great low cost alternative to the high pricetag of a next gen console this Christmas and beyond for people who don't own one, and will be a good deal for people who do have PS2s, yet for some reason need another.

I've got two old model PS2s, and I'm still planning on picking up a new one sometime in the future. This way I'll be able to save stress on the lens assembly on my main PS2 when I play PS1 games (sure, I could play them on my PS1, but texture smoothing and fast disc access are pretty cool too), or PS2 games that aren't compatible with HDL. I'll be able to take it downstairs or move it to other TVs or take it to console LAN parties without having to lug FrankenStation around and worry about damaging it.

So, there are reasons to pick it up if you don't have a PS2 yet (low price, insanely huge library), and reasons to pick it up if you do have one or more PS2s, yet need a replacement or additional PS2 (low price, no loss of features compared to the older slim models).

Also, I echo Nikon on the design changes. I like the boxy, flat look of the new model more than the grooved look of the regular Slim. And the white does look really nice.

gRiMgRaVy014
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:55 am
quote : #11
Those look pretty slick.

I'll have to pick one up to replace one of my bigger PS2s.

Kannibal
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:42 am
quote : #12
If I find one by chance I'll just buy(I did the same with the regular Slim Model just so I won't feel left out)
Posted:
Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:15 pm
quote : #13
Einhander wrote:
I'm confused as to why anyone would think this isn't a good idea. The PS2 is still selling like crazy, even though it has already sold over 120 million units since launch. Sony makes a console that is cheaper to manufacture, and so they make more money. They drop the price, and so consumers save more money. No ports or features are being removed, and (hopefully) compatibility won't suffer, so gamers win.

There are still a ton of people who don't own PS2s. It'll be a great low cost alternative to the high pricetag of a next gen console this Christmas and beyond for people who don't own one, and will be a good deal for people who do have PS2s, yet for some reason need another.

I've got two old model PS2s, and I'm still planning on picking up a new one sometime in the future. This way I'll be able to save stress on the lens assembly on my main PS2 when I play PS1 games (sure, I could play them on my PS1, but texture smoothing and fast disc access are pretty cool too), or PS2 games that aren't compatible with HDL. I'll be able to take it downstairs or move it to other TVs or take it to console LAN parties without having to lug FrankenStation around and worry about damaging it.

So, there are reasons to pick it up if you don't have a PS2 yet (low price, insanely huge library), and reasons to pick it up if you do have one or more PS2s, yet need a replacement or additional PS2 (low price, no loss of features compared to the older slim models).

Also, I echo Nikon on the design changes. I like the boxy, flat look of the new model more than the grooved look of the regular Slim. And the white does look really nice.

I guess me and the rest of the PS2 community just disagree on this. I really dont see the need for a new PS2 redesign on the consumers part. There are a ton of PS2's on the market now 2nd hand that are a 5th of the price and will come with games and extras so if consumers really want a cheap PS2 they are already available. The new redesigned PS2 will do nothing new and cost them more so in reality they save nothing. What does happen is the average Joe thinks he's getting something new with a new design of PS2 which is the only reason he will buy one. Its new, its cheaper new than it was before so he thinks he wants it. If he realy wanted it that bad its been out there all the time cheaper.

Fair play on Sony if they can sell them its marketing genius. Keep releasing the same product that does the same thing but with a different shell and people get excited all over again and whip them up. Thats where I guess its just a preferance thing. I never bought a small ps1, a colored DC, a slim PS2 or anything that does the same thing as something I already have. To me mine is a games console it plays games, I dont care what it looks like or what size it is.

Kannibals last post summed it up, if you can sell PS2's for that reason your onto a winner every time Very Happy

Laters
Posted:
Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:07 pm
quote : #14
Does anyone here actually prefer the original chubby PS2? I mean I do like the look of the slim one, and how small it is, however I still prefer the original for some reason, i'm not sure why. (This is my preference out of PS2s by the way, not console designs altogether).

Kannibal
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:30 pm
quote : #15
That is how I feel about the Original model! For some reason I just bought(not recently, but at the time) the Slim PS2 just to have it. the thing is that I use my original model and hardly touched the slim(i just opened it and played it that same day). I make money off of it by lending it for a certain price for a certain amount of days or I charge extra and the games are free to borrow(as long as they keep them in the condition I lend them). I did that to my Original PS2 and made $50 in 4 days(but I only did it once 'cause I couldn't imagine what would happen to it and because I got it the first day it came out as well as getting attached to it by giving it a name:"Murcielago" spanish for"Bat").