Topic: Blue-Bottom Discs

Page 1 of 1
Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:01 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I have had no luck with my PS2 playing blue-bottom discs. I've heard that some PS2's can't play them. I've used one of those DVD lens cleaner CD's, but it didn't work. When I insert the blue-bottom discs, my PS2 makes strange noises like it is attempting to spin it. Does anyone know how to get around this problem, or is there a reason why it is not playing these discs?

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:49 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:
I have had no luck with my PS2 playing blue-bottom discs. I've heard that some PS2's can't play them. I've used one of those DVD lens cleaner CD's, but it didn't work. When I insert the blue-bottom discs, my PS2 makes strange noises like it is attempting to spin it. Does anyone know how to get around this problem, or is there a reason why it is not playing these discs?

How the hell does a "DVD lens cleaner CD" actually work!? It's pointless, seriously. The laser never touches the disc, so how does the disc clean it?

DragonSlayer3288
rank 6
Posted:
Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:58 pm
quote : #3
ok i can answer both questions. the dvd cleaners actually do work. but noth with the blue bottom disks. see, blue bottom disks are Compact disks, while the regular ones are dvd's. I'm assumin you got your ps2 early, right? Because many of the ps2's that were first manufactured have the same problem. Contact sony, they should be able to help. or maybe u can check there website.
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:29 pm
quote : #4
I know the answer to this question. Infact there IS a solution and it works perfectly. The solution is.....SCOTCH TAPE. Yea I know seems wierd huh? Well in a magazine i got it shows how to do this. I will look it up or scan it in and upload the image. Basically the disc is too thin and the ps2 has trouble turning it. Adding scotch tape increases its grip. And then you can play blue discs. I'll get the info up asap.
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:34 pm
quote : #5
OR u can just call sony and tell them you get DREs and get a free repair..that's what i did and i only had to pay for shipping and now my ps2 plays everything fine Mr. Green

Metal_4evr
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:39 pm
quote : #6
You can just turn the PS2 on it's side. Never failed me yet. Oh and those DVD lense cleaner discs have micro-fibre brushes.

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:55 pm
quote : #7
Metal_4evr wrote:
You can just turn the PS2 on it's side. Never failed me yet. Oh and those DVD lense cleaner discs have micro-fibre brushes.

If that's the case, then I don't feel safe. I don't like sticking anything that's not a game, music, or data disc into my cd-roms.. Oh well, hopefully my laser will never die on me.

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:40 pm
quote : #8
I did the scotch tape thing. I found out that you put it in a triangle form around the top hole on blue-bottom disc and it will work. I did that and my PS2 didn't make those noises like it had gonorrhea. It actually attempted to read the disc, but came up with an error. It makes me wonder why Sony knows about this problem, but still says that there is nothing wrong with the PS2. Sony guarntees that the PS2 will work fine for one (1) year; though they only warranty it for 90-days. That makes me wonder why they would sell a product that will crap out on you in a year. Go figure.

Suppa Buddha
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:30 pm
quote : #9
Yeah I tryed my friends Gameshark on my PS2 and it said to put in a PS2 formated disc. Hmm when I get my hands on that gameshark disc I'll try out the tape thing.

SolidSnake
banned!
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:18 pm
quote : #10
If your PS2 is an early version its been said that if you play alot of DVDs on your PS2 it messes up the leans. Where it can only play DVD type PS2 games now im alomost 95% this is true because this same type of thing happened to my cousin and a friend.
Posted:
Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:35 pm
quote : #11
It doesn't matter if you play alot of DVD's or not. It gives disc read errors on blue discs because the lense becomes uncalibrated after long term use. If you put the PS2 on it's side you can save yourself the trouble of puting tape on all of your CD's or if you have the technological know-how you can bite the bullet and follow the instructions on various websites and message boards and play with the infamous white gear.

kodabb51
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:41 pm
quote : #12
like i said..u should just call sony and get a free repair Very Happy there is a faq over at gamefaqs.com written by a guy named kabutohunter

MeltedIce
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:40 am
quote : #13
Yeah my ps2 stopped reading everything, so i took it apart and cleaned the lens with a wet Q-Tip. It works fine now! Try it Smile

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm
quote : #14
MeltedIce wrote:
Yeah my ps2 stopped reading everything, so i took it apart and cleaned the lens with a wet Q-Tip. It works fine now! Try it Smile

Dude, you are a friggin lifesaver! I did exactly as you said and it reads TMB:O now!
I am so happy, thanks a lot! Very Happy

MeltedIce
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:12 am
quote : #15
NP Man! W00T! I can't believe it worked for somebody else Smile. Yea, im definetly going to post a topic about this on the forum. Your welcome to post Smile Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Final Fantasy XI:
Name: Meltedice
Race/Class: Hume
Server: Midgardsormr