Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
MasquedWarrior
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:18 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Okay, I wasn't sure whether to put this in the Tribes: Aerial Assault section, or this one; sorry if I made the wrong choice.

I was thinking about the PC-DC server. To my understanding, the software was originally designed to extend internet access to clients, so they can dial in using phone lines from their own house.

The first step of getting it to work is to activate the Windows dialup server, but, as someone on the DC section informed me, this only gives LAN access to clients who dial in, not internet access. However, perhaps that is not necessary for what I'm thinking of doing.

The Tribes: Aerial Assault online mode searches for both games that answer to the master list, and local games, right? However, before doing this, you load your network settings, whether dialup or Broadband. Imagine this: I setup the Windows dialup server, to accept a connection from someone using a specific username and password. I then run the T:AA dedicated server, and connect my modem to my phone line. Then, someone who has a landline phone at their house, a PS2, a network adapter, and no internet access were to enter the username and password I specified, and type in my phone number, for their dialup settings. They then try to connect to the internet. In theory, the PS2 would search for the master list, be unable to find it, and then search for LAN games. It would find my dedicated server, since it's on the same network that they're connected to. They then could join the game. I could join the LAN game from my PS2, connected to my ethernet network, and play with that person, even though he doesn't have an isp.

Has anyone tested this out, and can verify if this works?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:31 pm
quote : #2
I am going to just come out and and say what you are trying to do it not possible. Its far to complicated and I don't even think your logic is accurate. Long story short, you are talking about running an ISP out of your house. You can't do this with a windows box, and a PC-DC server.

Are you trying to get your friend online to play Tribes with you? Track down a free ISP for him, or tell him to pony up 5 bucks a month on a cheapo dialup ISP.

Or have him come over for some LAN matches on 2 TV's.

OR use splitscreen online play on one TV Wink (which TAA supports)

NOTE: This was the correct forum to put your topic, as it has to do with "getting online" and networking troubleshooting that is not necessarily Tribes specific.
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:27 pm
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
I am going to just come out and and say what you are trying to do it not possible. Its far to complicated and I don't even think your logic is accurate. Long story short, you are talking about running an ISP out of your house. You can't do this with a windows box, and a PC-DC server.

Actually, I wasn't talking about running an ISP out of my house. I was talking about using the PS2 modem to dial into my home network, (Notice I never said anything about him getting internet access, only access to my home ethernet.) He would be joining a LAN game, not an online game.

lordnikon wrote:
Are you trying to get your friend online to play Tribes with you? Track down a free ISP for him, or tell him to pony up 5 bucks a month on a cheapo dialup ISP.

Or have him come over for some LAN matches on 2 TV's.

OR use splitscreen online play on one TV Wink (which TAA supports)

Well, actually, I don't have a friend without internet access, (Sorry if I misled you.) My cousin, who lives in another state, has dialup access, but lives halfway across the country. We've tried to play online games with eachother, but sometimes, it's hard to find a game that's close enough to him that he will have a good connection, but close enough to give me a good connection, too, even though I have broadband access. However, my grandmother's house is fairly close to his, and I stay there for about ten days every summer, but during each visit, I usually only get to spend a few hours at his house, and I thought it would be good if Icould play with him a few times from my grandparents' house, when my grandparents are busy, without me having to register for a local isp, only to cancel it later. So if I were to do this, I would be the one without an isp, and my cousin would be the connection provider in that instance. Of course, I could just use a free isp, as you suggested, but those are slow and unreliable, from my experience.

It's actually a bit of a moot point, as he doesn't have the PS2 network adapter. (I've been encouraging him to get it, though. I might get one for him as a gift. Either that, or a Dreamcast with some online games for that system.) I was still curious, anyway.

And yes, I am aware of the game's network split-screening capabilities; that's actually one of the main reasons that I bought the game in the first place. Thank you for being helpful, though.

lordnikon wrote:
NOTE: This was the correct forum to put your topic, as it has to do with "getting online" and networking troubleshooting that is not necessarily Tribes specific.

Do any other online games use the same function to search for local and online games? If so, then it isn't Tribes specific. I had doubt, because as far as I know, T:AA is the only game that does LAN and online this way. (Actually, now that I think of it, I think I read that Twisted Metal Black: Online works this way, too.)

loki101
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:36 pm
quote : #4
my advice is to search for a free dialup isp and use that to get online...i used to do it till i got cable. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil