Topic: X link status in profile

Page 1 of 1
Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:02 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Just an idea that maybe X link status could be listed in players profiles? or maybe only allow people to sign up to a PDB for a tunneled game if they have X link or an alternate method already running?

Just an idea.

Laters
Posted:
Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:18 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
or a space to put your x link name at least would be nice?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:51 am
quote : #3
Yea this is something I need to add to the site. It has been on my to do list for a while now. Users will have to play an online game against me or someone else here to prove they are properly configured, then they would be added manually by me to an xlink specific PDB.

I will get started on this as soon as possible.
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:15 pm
quote : #4
i dont want to sound like an ass, but doing that would take forever, I think it would just be easier to let them add themselves, I figure if you have x link you have used it and are therefor configured right, doing that would just be tedious and make this step take longer than it should
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:41 pm
quote : #5
Want to know what takes forever? Going to play online with someone who does not have their xlink configured properly. You spend 2 hours helping them troubleshoot network problems and if you actually manage to get a game going you end up too exhausted to play.

Whats the point of having an xlink list if half the people who are on it either don't play or are not setup to use it in the first place? What if they own all gamespy games (which don't currently work with xlink), should they still be on the list?

I don't think it would be very tedious since all I have to do is flip on my PS2, pop in a game, turn on xlink, and test it with another user. Plus I own more online games here than anyone. So it wouldn't be hard for someone to already own a game that they could test with me.

I think you would see the list fill up a lot faster than you think. Plus I already have a mental record of people I have played with on xlink recently. So there would be an immediate list of people in the PDB before any testing would even need to occur.
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:27 pm
quote : #6
wats pdb and what is x link??

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:06 am
quote : #7
lazybum wrote:
wats pdb and what is x link??

This is the wording from The Kia Xlink site

XLink Kai is a global gaming network - bringing together XBox, Playstation 2, Gamecube and PSP users, in one integrated community. It is software running on your PC or Macintosh that allows you to play system-link enabled games online for free. Kai is the only service that is not console specific, and boasts one of the friendliest communities available.

Heres the URL: http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/

PDB = player data base. Its simply a list of players who own that online game. Just go to online game list at the top fo the screen then select your region. Look at the list of games and click on the PDB listed on the right to see if anyone owns that game.

Laters
Posted:
Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:21 pm
quote : #8
hey thanks, ok i understand what it does now, it lets you play lan enabled games thru it even after a game 's servers is shut down. That's awesome and I would like to set something up so i can do that, but the problem is that I am currently living in a college dorm room so things would be complicated I think. I already do not know much about setting up networks. In my dorm room there is a place where there is 2 ethernet cable jacks one for me and one for my room mate, I was wondering that if I connect my computer to on jack on it and my ps2 to the other jack with a seperate cable will I be able to use xlink?? Other wise I would have a very hard time setting things up as I am not clear on the difference between routers,switches, and hubs

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:14 pm
quote : #9
lazybum wrote:
hey thanks, ok i understand what it does now, it lets you play lan enabled games thru it even after a game 's servers is shut down. That's awesome and I would like to set something up so i can do that, but the problem is that I am currently living in a college dorm room so things would be complicated I think. I already do not know much about setting up networks. In my dorm room there is a place where there is 2 ethernet cable jacks one for me and one for my room mate, I was wondering that if I connect my computer to on jack on it and my ps2 to the other jack with a seperate cable will I be able to use xlink?? Other wise I would have a very hard time setting things up as I am not clear on the difference between routers,switches, and hubs

This is going off topic. Go here http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=16772#16772

Laters
Posted:
Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:32 pm
quote : #10
lordnikon wrote:
Want to know what takes forever? Going to play online with someone who does not have their xlink configured properly. You spend 2 hours helping them troubleshoot network problems and if you actually manage to get a game going you end up too exhausted to play.

Whats the point of having an xlink list if half the people who are on it either don't play or are not setup to use it in the first place? What if they own all gamespy games (which don't currently work with xlink), should they still be on the list?

I don't think it would be very tedious since all I have to do is flip on my PS2, pop in a game, turn on xlink, and test it with another user. Plus I own more online games here than anyone. So it wouldn't be hard for someone to already own a game that they could test with me.

I think you would see the list fill up a lot faster than you think. Plus I already have a mental record of people I have played with on xlink recently. So there would be an immediate list of people in the PDB before any testing would even need to occur.

Yea, that shit suckkkkkkkkkkks man. I wasted ALOT of time trying to get my shit configured for TS2 with dialup ICS on my old ME OS, and after a couple problems (computer kept restarting on it's own for unknown reasons) I got it to work right. I thank god I found someone patient enough to work with me to get it working right because I think even I would've given up on me. Still haven't attempted to set xlink up on this comp though.....