1, 2, 3  Next
Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:13 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
lazybum wrote:
hey thanks, ok i understand what it does now, it lets you play lan enabled games thru it even after a game 's servers is shut down. That's awesome and I would like to set something up so i can do that, but the problem is that I am currently living in a college dorm room so things would be complicated I think. I already do not know much about setting up networks. In my dorm room there is a place where there is 2 ethernet cable jacks one for me and one for my room mate, I was wondering that if I connect my computer to on jack on it and my ps2 to the other jack with a seperate cable will I be able to use xlink?? Other wise I would have a very hard time setting things up as I am not clear on the difference between routers,switches, and hubs

This would depend on what the place where the ethernet jacks are is. If thats a router then yeh that would work but I suspect its not more likely a multiple connection other than a router. When you connect your PC to that ethernet point are you then connected to the collage campus network? Anyway if thats not a router you will either need get a router or try ICS (internet connection sharing). Most people seem to go with a router. If though you are part of a wider collage network via you ethernet connection then check out what can and cant be done over that network before you invest any money especially if they have thier own anti virus and firewalls etc. I work for a University and my office PC connects to the university network and I cant do shite on that due to all the restrictions.

Laters
Posted:
Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:15 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Blast wrote:
lazybum wrote:
hey thanks, ok i understand what it does now, it lets you play lan enabled games thru it even after a game 's servers is shut down. That's awesome and I would like to set something up so i can do that, but the problem is that I am currently living in a college dorm room so things would be complicated I think. I already do not know much about setting up networks. In my dorm room there is a place where there is 2 ethernet cable jacks one for me and one for my room mate, I was wondering that if I connect my computer to on jack on it and my ps2 to the other jack with a seperate cable will I be able to use xlink?? Other wise I would have a very hard time setting things up as I am not clear on the difference between routers,switches, and hubs

This would depend on what the place where the ethernet jacks are is. If thats a router then yeh that would work but I suspect its not more likely a multiple connection other than a router. When you connect your PC to that ethernet point are you then connected to the collage campus network? Anyway if thats not a router you will either need get a router or try ICS (internet connection sharing). Most people seem to go with a router. If though you are part of a wider collage network via you ethernet connection then check out what can and cant be done over that network before you invest any money especially if they have thier own anti virus and firewalls etc. I work for a University and my office PC connects to the university network and I cant do shite on that due to all the restrictions.

Laters

yea when i connect my ethernet cable to the jack I am connected to the college network, from what ive seen online it does not look like a router, so yea it would seem like I would be complicated to do anything, even to get my ps2 to work on the network I had to call the internet provider and give them sum numbers so it could function. I do not know what a lot of the technical terms mean for setting up networks and would not really know what to ask about the network.

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:53 am
quote : #3
I think your best bet would just be to buy a cheap router "linksys" are always recomended, get wired to save money.

Cheap one here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Linksys-BFSR11-Wired-Router_W0QQitemZ200206671228QQihZ010QQcategoryZ20324QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Then try setting up Xlink and see what happens. Xlink is not hard to set up and if you get stuck there are plenty of people here to help out. At worst if it dont work at least you have a router so you dont have to keep swapping the line Very Happy

BTW is you ethernet point located say in the wall or is it a stand alone piece of equipment with a wire something?

Laters
Posted:
Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:33 pm
quote : #4
Blast wrote:
I think your best bet would just be to buy a cheap router "linksys" are always recomended, get wired to save money.

Cheap one here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Linksys-BFSR11-Wired-Router_W0QQitemZ200206671228QQihZ010QQcategoryZ20324QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Then try setting up Xlink and see what happens. Xlink is not hard to set up and if you get stuck there are plenty of people here to help out. At worst if it dont work at least you have a router so you dont have to keep swapping the line Very Happy

BTW is you ethernet point located say in the wall or is it a stand alone piece of equipment with a wire something?

Laters

aww the auction was over by the time i checked this... can you show me another one like this? if there is none on ebay, maybe amazon, when i copy paste the name two different kinds show up dont know what the differences are, could you link me one?? I have no idea how routers work

and my ethernort port is a stand alone piece of equipment with a wire

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:17 am
quote : #5
lazybum wrote:

and my ethernort port is a stand alone piece of equipment with a wire

Does it have any brand names or serials? think we need to identify what this is first before doing anything else. Maybe take a pic of it with a pc webcam or cell phone and post it up here. I am not the best person here to be giving advice about networks and routers as my knowledge is only self taught from experimentation. Maybe someone else can chime in and help me out Mr. Green

Laters
Posted:
Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:43 pm
quote : #6
no it does not have any serial numbers or anything, its a littel tan box that has 2 jacks for ethernet cables, it says resnet on it, which is what the campus internet is called, its run by a company called apogee

[/url]

it looks something like this, except there are only 2 jacks and they are for ethernet cables, and our box just has a wire going from it

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:51 pm:

i just called the resnet people and they said routers arent allowed on this network.. they said I could use a switch or hub, would that work with getting my ps2 and computer to be online at the same time so I could use xlink?

noonotthat
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:56 pm
quote : #7
a hub would work, but you could probably only find one on ebay, their kind of out of date now, but they shouldnt be too expencive
Posted:
Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:16 pm
quote : #8
wat about a switch ? that should work too right? cus ive been reading online and it says switchers make the connection faster than hubs.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:37 pm
quote : #9
No, a switch or a hub will not work. You will need something that can assign an IP address to both your PC and your game console. For that you will either need a router, or a PC using Internet Connection Sharing.

Also, I am pretty certain a router would work. Its common practice for all hi-speed internet providers to discourage their customers from setting up routers. More devices connected means more bandwidth being used.

If you don't have money to spend on a router, then buy a spare network card for your PC and setup Internet Connection sharing.

Last edited by lordnikon on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:38 pm
quote : #10
yes it will, you can use one I have personally used one for tunneling games, you use an uplink button on the hub and it works, and if you read the above post you can see he cant use a router
Posted:
Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:06 pm
quote : #11
ISP's usually only allow for 1 assignable IP address. HUB's and Switches merely split data, they don't assign new IP addresses to each device connected. An IP address would be assigned from one of three sources: 1) the ISP, 2) a router, or 3) secondary NIC w/ Internet Connection Sharing.

Toggling the uplink option on a hub swaps the Receive and Transmit signals. Essentially turning it into a crossover cable if you are using standard ethernet cables connect to each device.

lazybum, I think you should setup Internet Connection Sharing on your PC and get a spare network card. Do you have a laptop or a PC? What operating system are you running? (hopefully not Vista) Do you have a spare PCI slot open on your PC?

Another point to consider, is that you are on a college network. Sometimes those are setup like one big huge LAN. Your XLink running on the PC could detect consoles from any source on the network. Running ICS means you could limit it to a specific network interface (your spare network card).
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:49 am
quote : #12
ok so well wat kind of network card should i buy? and how do i setup Internet Connection sharing? I have a desktop pc with windows xp, and what is a pci slot? sorry i dont know that much about computers.

and my campus network is a big lan i think, cus like in itunes every1 in my dorm shows up on the sharing list

Posted Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:05 pm:

well on the xlink site it says a hub or switch could work, so it does work?? it says having 2 network cards is difficult to set up and im not that knowledgeable about setting up networks. But I will try if you can help me, basically im looking for the easiest way for me to get this stuff working

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:09 pm
quote : #13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0pGItSynyM&feature=related

Watch that there are many more also but just remember you only need to put a 2nd one in not remove your current one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3Com-10-100-Fast-Ethernet-Network-PCI-Card-NIC-X252_W0QQitemZ380005949142QQihZ02 5QQcategoryZ51195QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2nd link is a pci network card on ebay, there are loads you will probably find one cheaper if you look.

Laters
Posted:
Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:40 pm
quote : #14
so how to I know for sure if i have a spare pci slot? I think that I do but am not sure this is what the back of my computer looks like
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh219/lazyhoboguy/computer-1.jpg

also how would i connect the ps2 and my computer and my internet connection? Like what cables do i need , and where do i connect them? because theres a ethernet jack on the back of my computer and that would connect me to the internet, but how would I connect the ps2 to the pc so that its online too?

for a router i would not mind spending money on one, but i just want to be sure it would work and it seems simpler to set up that internet connection sharing, like would my isp have any way of knowing i was using a router or can they actually make routers not work on their network??

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:43 am
quote : #15
Firstly I think Lordnikon does not like it if you plug in great big pictures like that Very Happy It will be changed to a link like this Very Happy

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k94/jimsmillions/Xlinkdiagram.png

This link shows the diagram from the Kia Xlink site showing a ICS set up. Fairly easy

This is the onlineconsooles getting online guide http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_getonline.php which has information on ICS setup for PS2

As for a spare PCI slot on that diagram you showed the bottom slot appears to be free there is nothing in it. On the back of your PC where your network card is now and possibly where your speaker jacks and monitor connect to its should be fairly obvious if there is a free PCI slot. It will just look like a a blank piece of metal which is removed when you input a new device.

In this picture you can see it has 2 PCI slots, one is free. http://img.hexus.net/v2/cases/silverstone/SG03/16.s.jpg

Laters