Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:18 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
ok so I do have a spare pci slot then, I am still confused on how the cables connect tho. Where do they plug into? because i have only one jack for the ethernet cable, and that would be used to connect to the internet, so where would the crossover cable plug into on my pc? ??

and also could you find me a reasonably priced pci card on amazon? because the ebay auctions always end b4 i can buy them, and I do not know what all the numbers and stuff mean for different cards.

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:53 pm
quote : #17
well obviously if you fit another PCI network card then you will 2 ethernet sockets Very Happy one goes to the console with a cross over cable as shown in the diagram of my previous post and one to the internet.

Should be easy to find a pci network card to buy on ebay or amazon. I think any PCI network card will work Very Happy

Laters
Posted:
Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:04 pm
quote : #18
Blast wrote:
well obviously if you fit another PCI network card then you will 2 ethernet sockets Very Happy one goes to the console with a cross over cable as shown in the diagram of my previous post and one to the internet.

Should be easy to find a pci network card to buy on ebay or amazon. I think any PCI network card will work Very Happy

Laters

well obviously i didnt know that, remember Im a noob with a lot of computer stuff lol
ok thanks now i get how it works I think, next week i have midterms and the week after that I will be away from this computer cus im going home for spring break, after that I will buy a network card and try to set up all this, thanks a lot guys, if i have any more problems or questions then I will post about it

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:15 pm
quote : #19
I will run down the simple simple simple way of how this all works.

1.) Buy a spare Ethernet Card and a "Crossover Cable" which i different from your standard CAT5 Ethernet cable.
    2.) Install spare Ethernet Card into the open PCI slot on your PC
    3.) Your Primary Ethernet port connects to the internet using an Ethernet Cable
    4.) Your PS2 Connects to the spare Ethernet Card using the Cross Over Cable
    5.) Enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on your Primary Network Card

Thats pretty much all there is to it in a rough explanation.

You have Windows XP which is key. So I don't think you will run into many problems with this.

Here is how you setup ICS on WIndowsXP:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/serverbroadband.htm

All you are really doing is going into the properties on a network card and hitting a check box. Its super easy.
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:28 pm
quote : #20
ok thanks so much, I have a basic understanding of what to do now, however it will be at least 2 weeks b4 i will have time to set this up, I think I wont have a problem setting it up by following ur instructions , if i do i will post again, hopefully i will be able to play some time splitters future perfect in a couple of weeks!

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:07 am:

o o i have a problem.... i had a chance to buy a new network card and crossover cable today, i was all excited but when I was about to install it and opened up my computer, inside my computer where the empty slot is, there is no long white connector things like I see in the installation guide (like where the pins on the bottom of the card fit). Instead there is just a black connection thing that is 1/4 the size of the connection on the bottom of the card.

ok here is a picture of the back of my computer
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh219/lazyhoboguy/computer-1.jpg

sorry i know you dont want big pics but i dont know how to make a link in this

my computer is slightly different in that the empty slot is in the place of the slot second from the top, and vice versa.

so the bottom two slots have the long white connection things inside my computer but they are both full... the bottom slot where i plug in my headphones has 1 (which I think is a sound card?) and the second from bottom slot where it has 2 black jacks,one says line and one says phone (guessing this is for dial up internet?). The empty slot which is second from top does not have these long white connections inside the computer but only has a short fat black one that could not fit my card. Im wondering if that is a dial up thing that is taking up a slot? and if so could i possibly remove it and put in my new card? since i do not use dial up, but would that mess up my computer??

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:27 pm
quote : #21
The smaller fat dark slot is probobly a 1x PCI Express Slot, which can't be used for installing your spare ethernet card.

From what you have stated so far you should remove your 56k modem from the PC and then install the ethernet card. However just to be safe, can you take pictures of the back of your PC, as well as shots of inside the PC where your PCI slots are? If you are able to easily take photos I figured we might as well be 100% certain about how to proceed with this.
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:51 pm
quote : #22
i dont have a digital camera with me, but saturday i am going home for spring break and wont be able to do anything with this for a week, i have a digital camera at home tho, so ill bring it back with me and take pictures when spring break is over and try to finish working on this.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:50 am
quote : #23
Ah don't worry about it. The picture recommendation was sort of based on if you had on handy.

If the card in one of the PCI slots is just a 56 modem, then you can pull it out and pop in your spare network card. Should work fine Wink
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:02 pm
quote : #24
ok well, i will wait til i get back to work on it still cus im leaving tomorow and dont wanna start today and run into to a problem then have to leave

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:50 pm
quote : #25
ok cool Wink
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:25 am
quote : #26
ok im back, but before i attempt to do anything,i just got a ps3 and was wondering if i would be able to set up internet connection sharing and then be able to switch the crossover cable coming from my pc back and forth from the ps3 and ps2?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:09 pm
quote : #27
Yes you can move the crossover cable to other devices besides the PS2.
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:59 pm
quote : #28
ok... im extremely confused with setting up ics... I got my new ethernet card installed fine. But i have know idea how to make ics work. i read the links you posted but I am confused still. I tried what they said but nothings working. Do i need to make a new network connection on my ps2 to make it work? and if i do how do i know what to type in for ip addresses and everything.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:06 pm
quote : #29
What type of a configuration do you currently have on your PS2? Is it an automatic config? or a manual one where you specified all of the IP information specifically?
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:11 pm
quote : #30
my original network config was with automatic settings, i tried doing manual but have no idea where to find all the numbers it asks for