Page Location: Home > Support > LAN Tunneling > Topic
1, 2  Next
uoplayboy
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:36 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Just curious but has anyone started a web site for addressing so you can log into open LAN games? I probably should explain for those who do not know what I mean. In most games like Socom 2 for instance, you can either connect to the internet server or use your LAN settings. You can setup a Virtual Private Network(VPN) through your router to log into LAN games anywhere you want. The same way XBOXConnect was programmed with out so much work involved! This prevents play with cheaters and allows access for only the people you want to be able to play... I am interested in a web site where I can find other peoples LAN settings so I can remotely connect and not have to worry about unwanted players jumping in!

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:47 pm
quote : #2
Good in theory but a nightmare to arrange games I should imagine. Same problems we get here for all game if we talk globally then there is the time zone issue unless of course everyone is going to run the game 24/7 which is highly unlikely. Then there is set up and router problems for getting it all working etc etc. This sounds like the idea kind of thing to use for a small group of friends, outside of that it gets really hard to sort out.

Kia Xlink works fine for me, are there not privacy options?

Laters

Posted Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:50 pm:

Blast wrote:

Kia Xlink works fine for me, are there not privacy options?

Laters

Yeh there are I just checked you can set up a pass worded room.
Posted:
Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:37 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
I don't think uoplayboy, knows of XLink yet.

XLink is a tunneling application that allows you to route LAN games online, without the need to setup a true VPN.

The XLink website is here:
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/

However their Playstation 2 support is sort of spotty. Many games work, but all gamespy games do not work on there network. I have yet to contact them indepth about solving the problem.
rank 27
Posted:
Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:36 am
quote : #4
lordnikon wrote:
I don't think uoplayboy, knows of XLink yet.

However their Playstation 2 support is sort of spotty. Many games work, but all gamespy games do not work on there network. I have yet to contact them indepth about solving the problem.

Really? I coulda sworn I got THUG to work on it once.
Posted:
Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:37 pm
quote : #5
Hello guys im new, i was just wondering if there is another way to play LAN games over the net since Xkai wont cooperate with me or my buddy. Im trying "GiT" atm, but the directions are a little vague. If some of you could help me that would be great.

PS: if you have used "GiT" in the past, please post your network settings, thanx!

Trying to play: TS 2/3

pannta
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:55 pm
quote : #6
Well there's also Xboxconnect and leaf 2006, i have play "Tsfp" over xboxconnect! i haven't try leaf yet.
and Git just freeze every time i try it.
Posted:
Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:38 pm
quote : #7
My setup:

Use: Wireless router but its hard wired to PC and PS2 w/Cat5 cable(only use wifi for psp)
Have: Dynamic IP (reason why i dont use Xkai)
PS2: Old Phatty w/ network adapter
LAN games : Timesplitters 2/3

Ok im not really a nooby but on the LAN side I am so thats why i need help lol.

Ok so can anyone here verify this -> If I manually give my PS2 an IP with the Network setup disk, does that mean, it has a "static IP" that will never be changed even though i have a Dynamic IP. I've been reading and if you set the configurations to "auto" it will give the PS2 a random IP but if i set it to "manual" and give it an IP within range of my own IP, then that IP will be used aslong as i dont change it or set the config to AUTO correct?

thats said are these settings good to use with "the Gamer's Internet Tunnel"?

*My setup*
[manual configuration]

PS2 IP: 192.168.1.115
netmask: 225.225.225.0
router IP: 192.168.1.1 (is this correct? or should last # be 115?)

Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
secondary: 0.0.0.0

*Friends Setup:*

PS2 IP: 192.168.1.116
netmask: 225.225.225.0
router IP: 192.168.1.1 ( should this be the same as mine or use his own?)

Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1( should this be the same as mine or use his own?)
secondary: 0.0.0.0

I will try to use "Gamer's Internet Tunnel" or even "Leaf" app but that only supports xbox so not too sure about it. Also the reason i didnt want to use Xkai is that you need to get a Static IP and i have a Dynamic IP and its really nice to have that one around. What do you guys think? I will appreciate any help that i ca get.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:15 pm
quote : #8
GIT is still problematic. You can get GIT working if you follow our GIT guide for TimeSplitters 2, but you would have to follow it spot on, and only use it for TimeSplitters 2. Once you have that working, then you could maybe try some other games. However there are inconsistancies in how it works. So if you are planning on using GIT, expect long troubleshooting sessions with whoever you are trying to play against. Just a fair warning. (There are plans to provide more documentation on GIT, but I need to set some time aside and do much more testing to figure out what the perfect network setup is for using it.

As far as assigning IP addresses to devices on your local network it works in 2 different ways: Automatic (Dynamic), and Manual (Static). Whether you are using a router or internet connection sharing, the total IP range is between the starting IP of these methods, and going all the way up to 255.

So for your router the total available IP range is:

192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255

If you manually assign your Playstation 2 with a Static IP address, you can choose an IP from the above range, and each time you sign onto the network with that configuration it will use that IP. It is important to do this when you want to DMZ your PS2. In-fact, what I do, is select 1 IP address, and assign it as Static to every console on my network, then add that same IP as DMZ in the router so no matter what game device is communicating with the internet, it will be DMZ'd.

Now, if you choose to use an Automatic config, the Playstation 2 will contact the DHCP server running on the host network device (router or ICS), and assign the PS2 an available IP address. This is a dynamic process, which means it chooses from the total pool of IP's that are not currently in use.

If you want to use XLink your PS2 needs to be configured with an Automatic configuration. If you use a static IP, your PS2 will fail to configure with XLink. As long as you use an Auto config, and have xlink properly configured with the single port open in your router for XLink to reach the internet and tunnel data through, then you should be able to play TimeSplitters online. Remember though, this requires a proper LAN environment, with a router or ICS.

The Playstation 2 allows you to create many network configs. So I advise making a static and a dynamic config, which can be used depending on whether you are trying to tunnel games, or play regularly online.
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:09 pm
quote : #9
Quote:
If you want to use XLink your PS2 needs to be configured with an Automatic configuration. If you use a static IP, your PS2 will fail to configure with XLink. As long as you use an Auto config, and have xlink properly configured with the single port open in your router for XLink to reach the internet and tunnel data through, then you should be able to play TimeSplitters online. Remember though, this requires a proper LAN environment, with a router or ICS.

Thanx for the reply but are you sure about needing to have Auto config for Xkai? I was told the opposite, to give it a Static IP and not to use Auto/dynamic IP...weird.

Im going to try the "Leaf" Lan app and also "LogMeIn Hamach" which i heard worked for some but here is my question. Do me and my buddy (b4 trying these VPNs) make a network configuration with LAN settings in mind, or can we just use a regular configuration that was set to Automatic?(basically the config used to play ps2 games online not LAN per say) Thats where im lost. I hope i make sense and hope dont give you guys a hard time with all this crap that im going through.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:57 pm
quote : #10
Yes I am sure about setting your PS2 to an automatic config. Feel free to try out each configuration with XLink yourself.

I have not experimented much with Leaf or Hamachi, mainly because those seem to be springboard applications for future profit by the companies that control them. I wish those applications went directly from user to user rather than going through their proprietary network.
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:38 pm
quote : #11
Nice, i got Xkai successfully connected to my PS2 for LAN to Net play Woot Very Happy

Now if only ppls still played their ps2 games there.... Crying or Very sad

If anyone wants, PM so we can play there(maybe tonight)

-I have Timesplitters FP (I want to play this with ppls!)
-Socom II
-TM:black Online

PS: had to use static IP for PS2 cuz it woudnt connect with my auto settings.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:54 pm
quote : #12
What router model do you have cruzader?
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:59 pm
quote : #13
router model? i have no idea. All i can tell you is that i have a Trendnet Wireless router but my ps2 and PC are hard wired

*edit:woops i thought you meant model #/serial

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:15 pm
quote : #14
Okay interesting. Maybe the need for Manual vs Auto settings depends on the router and or LAN setup for each individual. Because with my linksys router I cannot use Static IP's. I have to use a Dynamic (Auto) setting. Otherwise all games will fail to configure.
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:23 pm
quote : #15
I think it depends on many things. I was told by one admin over at Xkai(chat room) that i needed to get my IP to be static but i dint want to ...lol( I have Dynamic IP) but i just turned off my firewall and Xkai connected to my ps2 without a need to have a Static IP.

On the other hand on the PS2's network settings, i had to give it a static IP(manually given) and port forward some ports on router or else my setup woudnt work.