Topic: PS1 disc reading

Page 1 of 1
Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:35 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I cant figure this one at all. I bought a PS1 second hand it would not read discs at all just goes to the options screen. I opened the console up fiddled with it a bit pressed some connections and cleaned the lens. Popped Sledstorm on pressed the button for the lid and Sledstorm fires up first time. So turn off reassemble console pop in Sledstorm, nothing no disc reading at all. So I undo the console again check the lens pop on Sledstorm and yes Sledstorm boots first time. So with the console still on I replace the top swap various games reset the console etc etc and no problem. Yay I fixed a PS1, WRONG!! Leave the PS1 for 3 hours come back to it and yup its not reading discs again. I can take the top off and press the lid switch and the games seem to boot everytime I do that Evil or Very Mad

For the record this is model SCPH 7502. If this model has laser calibration I cant find it. Sadly not all PS1 consoles have this. Any genius's with information please do tell.

Laters
Posted:
Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:07 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Try placing the Playstation upside down. If that fails, put the Playstation on its side and wedge it between two solid objects. The last suggestion in particular is a bit odd, I know, but it just might work. I have seen somebody actually place a shoe on the disc lid of a Playstation in order to get it to read discs. Laughing

I looked the 7502 up and there was no mention of those models shipping with faulty disc drives. It looks like these systems were manufactured in the middle of the system's commercial lifespan. If you can't seem to get it to work, I would just cut your losses and look for another console. Those things are so ubiquitous that I'm sure another will turn up at a good price.

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:25 pm
quote : #3
TheMytho wrote:
Try placing the Playstation upside down. If that fails, put the Playstation on its side and wedge it between two solid objects. The last suggestion in particular is a bit odd, I know, but it just might work. I have seen somebody actually place a shoe on the disc lid of a Playstation in order to get it to read discs. Laughing

I looked the 7502 up and there was no mention of those models shipping with faulty disc drives. It looks like these systems were manufactured in the middle of the system's commercial lifespan. If you can't seem to get it to work, I would just cut your losses and look for another console. Those things are so ubiquitous that I'm sure another will turn up at a good price.

Thanks for the info

I cant figure out though what this is? If its laser calibration then why does it work with the top off all the time? That makes no sense. Does not seem to be a lid related issues cus the disc does spin when the lid is on it just does not read it.

I bought this incredibly cheap just for selling on so its of no use for that now. Perhaps I can mod this to work with no lid and and keep it as a spare for link gaming or something.

Laters
Posted:
Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:35 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
i would experiment with it. try some lid mods. if all else fails do as you said just remove the lid all together and keep it. one other thing is maybe find a broken console and try using different parts.