Page Location: Home > Sega PS2 Games > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:38 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well my Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 31: Dennou Senki Virtual On [Segadirect Super DX Pack] arrived yesterday and here is what I recieved:

For pictures see here:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-r-49-en-70-2bk4.html

• Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 31: Dennou Senki Virtual On
  • Original Soundtrack CD
  • Original Illustration 1995-2007
  • Metal Card Case
  • Can Badge

The Metal Card Case looks to be a business card holder. It is really slick.

This is pretty awesome and I am really glad I was able to score this. Pre-ordering was essential because it was sold out before pre-orders were even shipped yet. It is great that play-asia provides this. Otherwise I would never be able to get something like this since SegaDirect only ships to japan.

---

I booted up Virtual On Cybertroopers for the first time on the PS2. Remember this is not a Saturn/PC port. This is a direct MODEL 2 arcade conversion to the Playstation 2. Rumour has it that Sega went so far as to re-hire part of the original team that made the first Virtual On to assist with this port. When you boot up the game you see the SEGA logo slam onto the screen and the arcade announcer say "Presented by SEGGAAA!".

The game gives you a smattering of control options, including support for Arcade, Playstation 2, and Saturn control schemes. Though they do not restrict you here like Virtual On Marz did. You can customize your control scheme if you so desire.

There are a variety of display settings to tweak such as setting it to the original arcade framerate or setting it to a solid 60fps. Other things like alpha channel blending on attacks, and a few other graphical settings help customize the games graphics to your liking.

All of the usual Sega Ages goodies are here, such as sound test and gallery options. But some interesting bonus features were added. New super moves plus you can actually play as the end boss. Which is pretty insane.

I have not had much time to spend with the LAN options as of this writing. Testing on the local network will take some time to configure. The game supports up to 4 PS2 console connections, for a max of 2 players. The other 2 PS2's are designed to be used as viewing monitors (like spectators devoted to viewing the match in progress). The game does have a "sync" option, which I am assuming is for frame sync. I guess this would let you customize the LAG. Pretty cool that this exists, but it makes me wonder if this game uses frame-by-frame syncing or true online play where it sends positional data.

Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 31: Dennou Senki Virtual On is retailing at various import shops for about $25-$30 USD. If you are a Sega Fan you really need to buy this game. Either get an import PS2 console or a swap disc + fliptop case to boot imports on your PS2. Even if you do not have the ability to play imports, I would buy this game and set it on your shelf until you get it sorted out.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:20 am; edited 5 times in total
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:44 am
quote : #2
Well the game must be awesome over xlink, cuz every time a check is pretty crowded! Very Happy
to bad there´s only japanese (for now) Cool
Posted:
Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:10 pm
quote : #3
Wow this sounds awesome. Sounds like Sega really put love into this game while developing it. Just like they used to for their games.

By the way, are the menus all in Japanese?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:10 pm
quote : #4
All of the in-game menu's for Virtual On, as well as the overall options menus are entirely in english. There isn't a shred of Japanese to be found. You may be able to toggle a language setting via the options, but by default it is all in english.