Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:07 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I have a visitor coming in October whos a bit of an expert at RPG's I am thinking of making a purchase or getting a game for them to play whilst they are here as we often do it as kind of a group effort (ideally a turn based RPG game FF style but not FF as I think she beat all of those already). Survival horror is another alternative. Include anything that can be played on the PS2 not just PS2 specific games as this does not have to be a PS2 game I just want the best game to play in 8 days. Suggestions then? bear in mind the 8 day time frame Very Happy

Laters

See also: http://gamecube.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9203#9203

And: http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=74866#74866
Posted:
Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:16 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Thats hard man. Sure as hell wouldn't be able to finish a SRPG in that time frame...
Posted:
Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:03 pm
quote : #3
Well, consdering this person is an experienced RPG player, I would recommend Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (released as Lucifer's Call in PAL regions). Though it may take you 8 days just to figure out how to play it effectively. The game is rather complicated. The strategy guide is like the size of a dictionary.

Though the person may have already played this game.

Since the person plays a lot of traditional RPG's, and you will have 4 people there, you might want to pickup a PS2 multi-tap and a copy of Champions of Norrath or Champions Return to Arms. Then everyone could play together Wink It is a top down hack and slash RPG, from Sony Online Entertainment. The games are essentially like Baldur's Gate. Since it is top down, there is no splitscreen. So all 4 characters are seen on the same view at once.
rank 19
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:24 pm
quote : #4
lordnikon wrote:
Well, consdering this person is an experienced RPG player, I would recommend Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (released as Lucifer's Call in PAL regions). Though it may take you 8 days just to figure out how to play it effectively. The game is rather complicated. The strategy guide is like the size of a dictionary.

Though the person may have already played this game.

Since the person plays a lot of traditional RPG's, and you will have 4 people there, you might want to pickup a PS2 multi-tap and a copy of Champions of Norrath or Champions Return to Arms. Then everyone could play together Wink It is a top down hack and slash RPG, from Sony Online Entertainment. The games are essentially like Baldur's Gate. Since it is top down, there is no splitscreen. So all 4 characters are seen on the same view at once.

Thanks, Think will avoid Lucifer's call as wee need something to get into easily.

With Champions of Norrath if you start this multi player can it be continued with just a single player or do all players have to play every time? is or was this not on line too? I'll check the list.

Laters
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:11 pm
quote : #5
In the original Champions of Norrath, you could use your character in both offline and online modes. However to curb cheating online, the sequel "Champions Return to Arms" was designed where your online character was stored server side, and entirely seperate from your offline character.

I am pretty sure though for either game, the characters played in offline single player, can also be played together in offline multiplayer. Isolating those from one another would seem weird to me.

Just FYI, the original Champions of Norrath while technically proficient, had a few bugs or performance issues. These were all resolved in Champions Return to Arms. So if you had to choose, I would snatch up Return to Arms. I guess it all depends on what you can find and for what price.

Also the people that made these games are the same staff from Snowblind Studios that made the Baldurs Gate games. They were merged into Sony Online Entertainment and then worked on the Champions games. These titles use an enhanced version of the Baldurs Gate engine.
rank 19
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:09 pm
quote : #6
Cheers for that. Think I'll look into getting the Return to arms game anyway but maybe more for myself Very Happy

How about any turn based RPG's playable on the ps2?

Laters
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:53 pm
quote : #7
Can you ask the person what RPG's they have played so far on the PS2? I am hesitant to start listing options because you say this person is very experienced with the genre.

Last edited by lordnikon on Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
rank 19
Posted:
Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:06 pm
quote : #8
lordnikon wrote:
Can you ask the person what RPG's they have played so far on the PS2? I am hesitant to start listing options because you say this person is very experienced with the genre.

I'll try and find out a more exact list of what they have played but I was trying to keep it a bit of a surprise and present them with the best game to play on either of my 3 platforms (covered here) when they arrive. All I know for sure is she has played through to all released FF titles on PS2 (minus the online one) plus both Kingdom hearts games. Out side of that I am not sure but know she is big FF fan and hence I am looking for a game that broadens on FF whilst not being a million miles away. Like all our family kids have rather stumped play for her over the last few years but she is traveling without them this time, so a good time for a nice surprise.

Laters